What's new

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Genre: Adventure

Director: Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson

Cast: Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Issa Rae

Release: 2023-06-02

Plot: A sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hopefully they at least get Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, and Brian Tyree Henry back.

I'm sure the entire principal cast all had sequel options in their contracts. Even Felicity Jones had a sequel option in her contract with Lucasfilm for Rogue One, and she died on screen in that movie, so they're obviously pretty standard. Sony would have been nuts not to place those there for a superhero sequel. So it's probably just a matter of who they want to bring back from a creative standpoint.

Steinfeld would be the biggest question mark of those three because of the setup from the first one of her being from a different universe. Do they constantly want to have the characters crossing verses, or do they just want to center the sequel more firmly on Miles and what's happening in his orbit? But of course Gwen did contact him again at the end of the first one, so we'll see.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Like, what's up, danger?
EJ0D06pUYAI_0UU

sauce:
https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1197165006825119744

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's the same day as an untitled Marvel film (rumored to be Ant Man 3).

I highly doubt the MCU film will stick. With the addition of Doctor Strange, that means Disney already has four MCU titles in 2022. I suspect Disney might have given Sony the date for Spiderverse as part of their deal, which obviously also included Sony taking the date previously assigned to Doctor Strange.

With four sequels to big franchises in 2022, Marvel will need to space out their remaining established characters. I think this ensures that both Guardians 3 and Ant-Man 3 will end up in 2023.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is the latest MCU schedule from Marvel. Nothing on October 7, 2022

• Black Widow (11/6/20)
  • The Eternals (2/12/21)
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (5/7/21)
  • Marvel/Sony's Spider-Man 3 (11/5/21)
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (2/11/22)
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (3/25/22)
  • Black Panther II (5/6/22)
  • Captain Marvel 2 (7/8/22)
  • Untitled Marvel Film (2/17/23)
  • Untitled Marvel Film (5/5/23)
  • Untitled Marvel Film (7/28/23)
  • Untitled Marvel Film (11/3/23)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nick Kondo, who works as an animator at Sony, posted on Twitter that today is the "first day on the job" for Into the Spider-Verse 2, or whatever they end up naming it. So it seems like they are officially in production.

As of right now, the release date is set to be October 7, 2022.

Hopefully it's as good as the first one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Because this isn't being reported by Sony or the trades, it qualifies as a rumor. But it's a casting rumor that I very much hope is actually true.

I'm going to put the link inside spoiler tags just in case people are sensitive. I don't usually consider casting announcements to be spoilers, but just in case others feel differently, you all can make that choice. People who have been a fan of Spider-Man for a long time will probably like this rumor.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, the casting rumor link that I posted yesterday has been debunked as false. Because it is now confirmed as false, I'm just going to talk about this without a spoiler tag since there's nothing to spoil anymore.

In yesterday's post, I relayed a rumor that Christopher Daniel Barnes, who voiced Peter/Spider-Man in the '90s animated series, was in negotiations to reprise that role in the upcoming Spider-Verse sequel.

On the Facebook page for Spider-Man: The Animated Series, John Semper, who is the writer/producer of that show, wrote this.

John Semper said:
An article was posted here yesterday supposedly having the inside story that Chris Barnes is reprising his role in the sequel to “SPIDER-MAN - INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE.” I heard today from Chris’s wife that this is absolutely FALSE. Chris has not been approached by Sony/Marvel to reprise his role as nineties Spider-Man, which means that the Spider-Man from my series will NOT be in this upcoming movie. So spread the word. The rumor is FALSE.

So that's that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is some actual real confirmed news about this movie that won't be walked back in a day.

Joaquim Dos Santos had been previously announced to direct the Into the Spider-Verse sequel. Newly announced is that he is joined by Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson.

Dos Santos and Thompson have been at Sony Pictures Animation for some time.

Powers is coming off of Soul at Pixar, which he co-wrote and co-directed with Pete Docter. He is also the screenwriter of One Night in Miami.

I have updated the information in the first post accordingly to add the new directors.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a surprise. I wasn't expecting the marketing for this to start until after No Way Home came out. I guess they want to put this trailer with No Way Home.

The other surprise is designating this as "Part One." Hopefully, since they're going with that approach, they have a plan to make Part Two follow sooner rather than later. It would suck if it ends on a cliffhanger and then we have a four-year wait for the next one again, but these films take a long time to make.

I have updated the thread title accordingly with this film's newly announced name.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The other surprise is designating this as "Part One." Hopefully, since they're going with that approach, they have a plan to make Part Two follow sooner rather than later. It would suck if it ends on a cliffhanger and then we have a four-year wait for the next one again, but these films take a long time to make.
Looks like the plan is only a year wait between the two.

"Miles' story is an epic. We wrote what we thought the story needed to be, and to our surprise, we realized it was two movies instead of one. We're working on them both as we speak. Part Two will be out sometime in 2023. We will sleep again in 2024."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Looks like the plan is only a year wait between the two.
Good. I certainly want the filmmakers to be able to sleep (LOL), but if this is a two-parter, it is good to know that we'll get to see the conclusion before 2026.

I needed some convincing on Into the Spider-Verse. I thought the idea of a separate animated Spider-Man franchise at the same time as he was in the MCU seemed crazy, even if they weren't the same character. Also, the trailers just didn't appeal to me. I went anyway because the good buzz got to me, and I was delighted to be wrong. There was a very large margin of error over that project and they really managed to blow away expectations. I'm fully on board for this next one and can't wait to see it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks