What's new

Disney+ Spider-Man: Freshman Year (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man: Freshman Year
When we met the MCU's version of Spider-Man in Civil War, he had already been at it a while. The Homecoming trilogy of movies covers his sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school. This new animated series fills in the gaps, covering the origin story of the MCU's Spider-Man from getting bit through the end of his freshman year of high school.

From Marvel: "The animated series follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, with a journey unlike we've ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots. Written by Executive Producer Jeff Trammel."

No voice casting has been announced as of yet. Still an open question whether Tom Holland or Hudson Thames will voice Peter/Spidey. The art style will apparently be very reminiscent of Steve Ditko's early work on the comics.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If this is the MCU version of Spider-Man, I'm surprised Disney can do this without Sony. I'm not sure how the contractual stuff between the two of them works.

I would almost certainly be more interested if it is Tom Holland doing the voice, but he wasn't in What If so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If this is the MCU version of Spider-Man, I'm surprised Disney can do this without Sony. I'm not sure how the contractual stuff between the two of them works.

They renegotiated the deal after the release of Far From Home during that whole “leaving the MCU” brouhaha. I don’t think the exact terms were disclosed but the gist of it was that Sony would potentially be allowed to include the Holland Spider-Man in what they were calling their “MCU adjacent” series of films (Venom, etc) and that Marvel would get to use Spider-Man in additional MCU properties.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The TV rights for Spider-Man are very messy. The contractual status as of 2014 leaked back when everything else was leaking out of Sony. Sony had the rights to:
  • Develop and produce live action or animated theatrical motion pictures
  • Live-action television series
  • Animated television series with episodes longer than 44 minutes
Marvel had the rights to make animated television series with episodes shorter than 44 minutes, which this will presumably be.

Whether that is still the status quo or not, I'm not sure. Given how intertangled Marvel and Sony are with the current state of affairs for the character, I can't imagine either side is making moves that the other side isn't okay with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k-pad
Recent bookmarks