Spider-Man: Far From Home Sequel (2021)

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's all but certain that Spider-Man 3 will get a new release date, as Marvel just moved Eternals to Nov 5, 2021, which was Spider-Man 3's release date.

Staying tuned for an announcement from Sony.

Other than this, today's announcements should not change the rest of Marvel's slate, with Thor 4 arriving in Feb 2022, Dr Strange 2 in March 2022 and Captain Marvel 2 in July 2022. I am assuming Black Panther 2 will not make its May 2022 release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's all but certain that Spider-Man 3 will get a new release date, as Marvel just moved Eternals to Nov 5, 2021, which was Spider-Man 3's release date.
You're forgetting that Spider-Man was already delayed to December 2021 when Avatar 2 vacated the pre-Christmas slot. If Sony wants to put Spider-Man out six weeks after The Eternals, they can. Far From Home came out a relatively short amount of time after Endgame.

Reactions: Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You're forgetting that Spider-Man was already delayed to December 2021 when Avatar 2 vacated the pre-Christmas slot. If Sony wants to put Spider-Man out six weeks after The Eternals, they can. Far From Home came out a relatively short amount of time after Endgame.
Egad! You're right!

• Haha
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter says Jamie Foxx is returning as Electro from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the third MCU film.

I won't reprint my reaction here, but I actually swore when I saw this. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the movie that was so terrible it forced Sony to make a deal with Marvel. I don't know anyone who likes it. I deeply hope this is not true. If it is, I sure as hell hope they know what they are doing.

I mean, I'm sure that I am going to see the film.

But this does not make me excited.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t understand - if you’ve thought Kevin Feige did a great job shepherding the 23 prior installments of the MCU, why panic now?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter says Jamie Foxx is returning as Electro from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the third MCU film.

I won't reprint my reaction here, but I actually swore when I saw this. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the movie that was so terrible it forced Sony to make a deal with Marvel. I don't know anyone who likes it. I deeply hope this is not true. If it is, I sure as hell hope they know what they are doing.

I mean, I'm sure that I am going to see the film.

But this does not make me excited.
I don't even remember Amazing Spider-Man 2 any more (is Paul Giamatti in that one too?) but I think the problems in that movie don't hinge on Jamie Foxx so transplanting him into a hopefully better movie will yield better results. Hopefully.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not a choice I would have made, but I've loved the two recent S-M films under Marvel, so I'll wait and see.

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
iif you’ve thought Kevin Feige did a great job shepherding the 23 prior installments of the MCU, why panic now?
Because ASM2 was a garbage movie and the idea of reinforcing connections with it makes me nervous.

He delivered exactly the performance that was asked of him.
Yes. And he was also terrible. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Bringing back an actor from the previous films only makes sense for J.K. Simmons, who was was and is widely liked by the fan base.

I'm going to see the movie -- Far From Home is my favorite Spider-Man they've ever done -- so of course I'm going to turn up for the sequel. But this doesn't really make sense to me. Like I said, I hope they know what they're doing. I would love to be wrong and have it be great.

Reactions: dpippel

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope they know what they're doing.
I think we have 12 years and 23 films worth of evidence that they do. Feige and Disney were fully prepared to let Spidey go rather than make a Spidey film under terms that were disagreeable to them. If that’s not enough to earn him the benefit of the doubt then I don’t know what is.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Feige and Disney were fully prepared to let Spidey go rather than make a Spidey film under terms that were disagreeable to them.
That was a financially-based decision. Bringing characters back from a widely-hated film that Feige had nothing to do with is a creative one. So I don't really see that as an apples-to-apples comparison.

Of course, Feige has made many creative decisions that worked, and I am willing to admit that it's possible I'm wrong and Foxx will be great. I hope so. But this is the first time he has moved to bring back an element of a film that was not made under his purview and which did not work at all. In the past, Feige has made sure that these Spider-Man films avoid retreading material from even the most-well-liked ones that exist outside of the MCU. So this is a different kind of choice than what he has made before.

We'll see what happens.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Jamie Foxx was terrible in that role.
And Chris Evans was terrible in the role of Johnny Storm in the two FF movies. I'm still thrilled that he was hired to play Steve Rogers in the MCU. I know, I know, it's not the same role. So what?

The real point is that Jamie Foxx is a very talented actor. Quite frankly, the problem with him in that role in that movie is that, for whatever reason, he wasn't able to overcome substandard material. It might've been his doing, or it might've been Marc Webb's doing.

And I think the point Josh is making is that, if Foxx gets to work with the same director and writers who worked on the two MCU Spidey movies, he will probably be a lot better in the role than he was in ASM2.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hmmm.

On the one hand, Surprisingly weird news.

On the other hand, the rumor “scooper” I follow has been saying that Marvel and Sony are looking to eventually do their own version of a “Spiderverse“ movie. Something that would bring back Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield along with Tom Holland. But this was something for further “down the line”, as far as I understood the rumor.

I can’t see them doing something like that with “Spider-Man” 3 so soon where Foxx would be playing the same “Amazingverse“ version of Electro in a “multiverse traversing” story. Then again, we know that Marvel is addressing the Multiverse head-on in Doctor Strange 2, so who knows?

It’s more likely Foxx would simply be playing another MCU version of the character with the same appearance, just like what they have done with J. Jonah Jameson.

Still, surprising.

But now that Fiege has brought back two characters (played by the same actors) from previous Spidey universes I’m seeing a suggestion that he is at least planting some seeds for an eventual “multiverse” Spidey story. Fiege has been very reluctant to repeat what has already been done with previous incarnations of Marvel characters when they finally get them in the MCU. The multitude of changes from traditional Spider-Man stories and supporting characters in the MCU version is a perfect example. So it’s very unexpected to see him not only bringing back a villain that was recently done but also the same actor. JK Simmons could have been a “one off” because of the love for his portrayal of JJJ in the “Ramiverse”. But now that he is using the same actors for two characters from previous universes I think that is strongly suggesting that he’s playing with the multiverse here.

I’m not opposed to an eventual “Spiderverse“ movie that plays with the current and previous film incarnations, but I’d hope something like that wouldn‘t be done for a while. Hopefully this is just planting seeds.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
if Foxx gets to work with the same director and writers who worked on the two MCU Spidey movies, he will probably be a lot better in the role than he was in ASM2.
I think it depends on what they do with him.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a garbage dumpster fire movie, and anything that would retroactively add that as canon to the MCU is a terrible idea. Obviously, I don't know what they are planning here, but we know that the Doctor Strange sequel is going to explore multiverses. My worst-case scenario here is that they're going to pluck that version of Electro from ASM2-land and bring him into the MCU.

If it is just that they want to do another version of the character altogether, then that might work. But bringing Simmons back was effective because everyone likes Simmons as Jameson. Bringing back Foxx provides them with a link to the worst-reviewed, worst-received-by-fans Spider-Man movie ever. That seems strange. They could just as well use the character again with another actor and be free of the baggage. The choice to do this is puzzling.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That seems strange. They could just as well use the character again with another actor and be free of the baggage. The choice to do this is puzzling.
Right. So I think it’s pretty clear now that there is a meaning/significance to this choice. Whatever it may be, it’s more than the initial reason assumed for the casting of JK Simmons. I’m pretty sure They’re doing something with the multiverse. Hopefully not quite yet in this movie, but they’re at least setting up for it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Also, one of the things I like about the MCU Spider-Man films thus far is that they have deliberately sidestepped things we've seen before in the other films. It has been a specific and clear choice to do something new.

We don't need to see the Green Goblin again; let's use the Vulture. We already saw Doc Oak; let's go with Mysterio. This is the first time that they are choosing to repeat a major villain who has already been used in one of the previous live-action films, which is a significant change in direction.

it’s more than the initial reason assumed for the casting of JK Simmons.
Even that feels different because they went out of their way to give Simmons a different look than he had before, and decided that the Bugle was "a controversial news website." That's not the same version of Jameson or the Bugle that appeared in the Raimi films. So if they are going to do a multiverse thing with Simmons, they would still have to "borrow" the previous version from the continuity of the Raimi films, for lack of a better term.

Also, a friend reminded me that Electro died in ASM2, which I forgot because I haven't seen it since its theatrical release. If they are using the same iteration of him, they would need to go into the plot of ASM2 to bring him into the MCU's reality. I think that's a terrible idea. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Bryan

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josephhurley20