Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: Jon Watts

Cast: Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zendaya, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Jacob Batalon, Angourie Rice, Marisa Tomei, Jon Favreau, Michael Keaton, Tony Revolori, Gwyneth Paltrow, J.B. Smoove, Numan Acar, Jennifer Connelly, Hemky Madera, Remy Hii, Angela Koo, Hiten Patel, Al Clark, Keon Kendrick, Meagan Holder, Samantha Mishinski, Davina Sitaram, Ruth Horrocks, Hiten Patel, Sonia Goswami, Jeroen van Koningsbrugge, Eric Patrick Cameron, Peter Bankolé, Michael Iacono, Emily Ng, Emily Ng, Géraldine Lamarre, Giada Benedetti, Michael de Roos, Daniel Rennis, Rocco Wu, Tony Mardon, Adrian Mozzi, Kath Leroy, Amanda Musso, Paul Slim, Faith Logan

Release: 2019-07-05

Plot: After the events of Avengers 4, Peter Parker is back to his normal life. He is headed on a trip to London for school and they are stopped by the TSA. It's Paul Blart, TSA agent. He's been promoted. In the midst of this, Mysterio appears at the airport himself and attacks Peter Parker.

Looks like filming is scheduled to start June 2018 in Atlanta:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/09/spider-man-homecoming-2-shooting-dates-revealed/

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Kevin Feige also recently confirmed that Jon Watts will return to direct. I'm looking forward to it. I just hope they up the "Spidey action" and deal with the inherent drama resulting from May knowing Peter's secret.

Since Spidey will be featured in two Avengers movies before the sequel it's certainly a possibility that the Russos will address May knowingly about Peter, but I still think that needs to be explored in the sequel.

In other Spidey news unrelated to the MCU, Sony's animated Miles Morales Spider-Man movies will be released in theaters next December, and I think it looks really cool.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm a bit surprised they revealed Peter's secret to May so quickly. If she's any kind of parental figure, she'd absolutely forbid him to continue...period. Any other reaction will be rather unbelievable.

But we know they can't do that or that's the end of the franchise.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm a bit surprised they revealed Peter's secret to May so quickly. If she's any kind of parental figure, she'd absolutely forbid him to continue...period. Any other reaction will be rather unbelievable.

But we know they can't do that or that's the end of the franchise.

It would surely be the source of some good drama in their relationship, so that's why I hope they really use it.

The thing is, the reason Peter is Spider-Man is legitimate. He does have the ability to stop bad things from happening and to help people. Him not doing what he could have when he should have indirectly lead to Ben's death. So I could see May having a whole lot of emotions about the whole thing but ultimately reluctantly accepting that Peter has do to what he has to do.

And I know they want to keep this series lighter than the others that were heavily steeped in melodrama, but they do need to directly tell the audience the story of Ben's death. It's fine that they didn't want to devote an entire first act of the first movie redoing the origin that has already been told twice, but there are people who will see the MCU Spider-Man movies that haven't seen any of the the previous two series. I'm currently showing all of the the MCU moves to a friend from work. She's from Jordan and hasn't seen any of the previous Spider-Man movies and doesn't know anything about his origin. So when it is time to give her Civil War and Homecoming, I'm trying to figure out the best way to give her a primer on Spider-Man before she sees those since they are just assuming people have seen the origin twice. Many have seen it twice, but not everyone. Some, especially younger people, will not have seen either. So I hope they do incorporate his origin in some way (flashback and/or discussion with May) in the next one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well I certainly hope I enjoy the sequel better than the first (which I thought was the worst Marvel film yet).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
All of those way better than Spider-Man Homecoming to me.

And I recently watched it again in 3D(which was great) hoping to like it better.

I think I actually liked it less.

Cest La Vie

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
^^ I kind of agree with you. I was underwhelmed at the theater when I saw it and again seeing it in Blu-Ray. I do like it some because it is Spider-man but definitely not the best one. I guess my chief complaint was it was too much like watching a live action Disney XD cartoon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To me, the MCU Spider-Man was the best screen version so far because he actually felt like a high school kid.

At no point was I convinced that Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield were kids. They're both talented actors, but they were being asked to play 18 at almost 30. And I feel that those films had the wrong conception of the character, the way they didn't care much about the teenage aspect of the character.

The MCU version treats him as the young teenager he's supposed to be, which means that he can make mistakes and say dumb things and make boneheaded choices and not understand his place in the world or how to fit in...because that's what teenagers are.

I loved Downey and Favreau in the film because it wouldn't make sense that Iron Man would pluck this kid out of obscurity for a five minute battle and that the kid wouldn't quickly want more. I find the MCU to be the most convincing superhero universe in films because actions do have consequences and those consequences reverberate across films. One consequence of Stark needing Peter's help is that Peter becomes obsessed with both Stark and doing more. Those elements really help sell this film for me.

Finally, Michael Keaton's villain is one of the best the MCU has had. He's a real guy with a real objective. He's the film's antagonist but he didn't start life as an awful dude. He's motivated not by abstract concepts or blind loyalty or because the script demands a villain, but by tangible, concrete things that happen to him and leave him feeling that he has no other options. And his end goal isn't world domination, it's upper middle class comfort and the chance to provide for his wife and daughter.

Spider-Man is still not one of my favorite characters but I think this film does the best of any so far to make me actually accept the premise.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
To me, the MCU Spider-Man was the best screen version so far because he actually felt like a high school kid.

At no point was I convinced that Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield were kids. They're both talented actors, but they were being asked to play 18 at almost 30. And I feel that those films had the wrong conception of the character, the way they didn't care much about the teenage aspect of the character.

The MCU version treats him as the young teenager he's supposed to be, which means that he can make mistakes and say dumb things and make boneheaded choices and not understand his place in the world or how to fit in...because that's what teenagers are.

I loved Downey and Favreau in the film because it wouldn't make sense that Iron Man would pluck this kid out of obscurity for a five minute battle and that the kid wouldn't quickly want more. I find the MCU to be the most convincing superhero universe in films because actions do have consequences and those consequences reverberate across films. One consequence of Stark needing Peter's help is that Peter becomes obsessed with both Stark and doing more. Those elements really help sell this film for me.

Finally, Michael Keaton's villain is one of the best the MCU has had. He's a real guy with a real objective. He's the film's antagonist but he didn't start life as an awful dude. He's motivated not by abstract concepts or blind loyalty or because the script demands a villain, but by tangible, concrete things that happen to him and leave him feeling that he has no other options. And his end goal isn't world domination, it's upper middle class comfort and the chance to provide for his wife and daughter.

Spider-Man is still not one of my favorite characters but I think this film does the best of any so far to make me actually accept the premise.

Spider-Man 2 is still my personal favorite, but I agree that Homecoming did many things right and was the best at actually depicting a teenager with superpowers trying to figure out his place.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I didn't have a problem with Thor 2. I had nothing but problems with Homecoming. Hated it. I loved Spidey in Civil War, so he should be fine in the Avengers films. It will take a miracle trailer for me to see the sequel to Homecoming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm really curious how they're going to market this one without avoiding spoilers. Kevin Feige has said (and I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have an article handy) that it deals directly with the aftermath of Infinity War and is supposed to usher us into the state of the MCU after that.

But the film opens only two months after Avengers 4, so how do they have a trailer for this film coming out in advance of Avengers 4 that manages to not spoil the ending of Avengers 4?

I hope Sony cares about this, but since Avengers 4 is not their film, they might not.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I would think that the fallout from Infinity War and Avengers 4 is likely to be more of a “setting” if you know what I mean. There would likely be some aspects of that which color the story or serve as a backdrop. But I think it will still be it’s own Spider-Man story that will primarily be a sequel to Homecoming.

It will be following a significant event movie(s) that will supposedly end one era of the MCU as it transitions into the next era, so surely that will be addressed or referenced in some way in the film. But I don’t think that will necessarily be the main focus of the story. I think Peter will be dealing with the tribulations of surviving high school, a new villain (or villains) like maybe Scorpion, teen romance and coming to an understanding with May (if it isn’t worked through in IW and/or A4). Typical Spidey stuff.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Obviously, I don't know what they're planning for the sequel so I don't know if what I am about to suggest would be appropriate in the context of the characters they plan to use.

But....

I was thinking about how Michael Keaton's casting as the Vulture played off of his previous appearances as Batman and Birdman, not in terms of the world of the movie, but in terms of audience expectation and it being him in a winged creature comic book role again. And I thought -- wouldn't it be fun to continue that theme?

Whether or not they would be willing to do this is an open question -- but -- if they would -- I'd love to see Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield drop by the MCU as villains for Tom Holland to go up against. They could be one-and-done villains (which most in the MCU are anyway) so as to prevent them from having to sign a long-term contract again. But this would be a cool way for the series to acknowledge the history of Spider-Man on film, and give those actors a chance to come back and play again and sort of get to "end" their time with the character, since neither of them got to do that. (Spider-Man 3 can function as an ending in that there isn't an overt cliffhanger ending, but it wasn't consciously designed as the last one since they thought they were going to make Spider-Man 4, and of course The Amazing Spider-Man 2 doesn't provide any ending whatsoever of any kind.) I'm not suggesting that they consciously actually reference any continuity from these films, but that it might be fun to watch these actors flip around and play in the Spider-Man sandbox in other capacities.

Certainly they are both quality actors who the MCU would be lucky to have.

Jut a thought.

Also, since this is about to start filming, we should probably hear soon who they are casting. Other MCU films notwithstanding, there will be information that emerges from the set of this, and obviously we know it's on the schedule and is coming. So...yeah. I suspect some announcements sooner rather than later just based on practicality, regardless of the fact that Marvel would probably prefer to keep it all quiet.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks