What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What forced personal connection to Peter Parker will Mysterio have in this film? It seems like Peter is incapable of coming up against a villain in one of these movies who he's not in some way related to (either by blood or by association with that person) when he's not in the mask.
I actually expect the villain to be one of the areas where Far From Home is weaker than Homecoming, because Michael Keaton's Vulture was one of the better MCU villains.

But that's fine if the rest of it works. I think my dream for this movie is 70 percent Peter and his friends on a school trip to Europe, with all of the attendant teenage drama and interpersonal dynamics, 30 percent Spider-Man battling the big pyrotechnic supervillain.

MTV's "Teen Wolf" series did that really well, paralleling the coming of age story of this small handful of high school friends as their friendship deepen and grow, with the supernatural mythology.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm trying to make a point about ENDGAME being spoiled, and you're quibbling about your interpretation of the word "announced." Whether it's been announced officially or not (and I never said it was announced officially) doesn't matter. There is no longer any suspense about the fate of Dr. Strange.

That was my point. You're the one who chose to kick up a dust storm and make it about something else.

This is the number one thing that bugs me about message boards: Person One tries to make a point. Person Two hijacks the point by splitting hairs about something else entirely that has nothing to do with the validity of The Point.

The suspense about whether Strange lives or not has been spoiled. Period.

If you'd like to present evidence supporting the belief that the fate of Dr. Strange hasn't been spoiled, then we can have a worthwhile conversation. But if you want to quibble about what the word "announced" means, you're on your own.

I’m sorry you seem to be upset over being corrected on the internet.

You can call it quibbling all you want. I’ll call it correcting and clarifying.

The problem seems to be that that Jake and I are using the term “announced” as meaning a formal release of information. You seem to want to use “announced” and “reported” interchangeably.

The ONLY reason I was responding to you was to clarify that this is not information that has been released by Marvel. I was not attempting to engage on the topic of how hearing information about Marvel’s plans for future movies featuring presently dead characters might affect someone’s enjoyment of the uncertainty between Infinity War and Endgame. That is a reasonable topic for discussion, and I realize that was what you were primarily focused on in your original statement, but that was not at all what I was commenting on.

Your choice of words in your statement “It’s hard to take certain deaths seriously, as we were told to take them, when they’re announcing movies like Spidey and Strange” implied something that wasn’t true. As I said, the first part of your statement is a perfectly legitimate point for discussion. But the second part of the statement implies that Marvel did something wrong that is hindering your enjoyment because they announced Strange. And that is what was in error. You may have meant it in a more general way and if you had said something like “…when we are hearing reports about work starting on movies like Strange” that would not have invited any further discussion other than to address your main point about being spoiled, but that’s not what was said. You said it was announced and that term implies a formal release of information. Jake politely corrected you stating “Well, Marvel hasn’t made any official announcements about their slate after Endgame except for this film (although writers and directors have been hired for projects, so we all know they’re going to happen)”. Basically acknowledging that information had leaked out about future plans for some of these characters (including Strange) but clarifying the point that none of that was officially announced by Marvel. Marvel would have preferred, as would you (and as would I) that these plans remained in the shadows until after Endgame. But instead of accepting Jake’s information or asking for clarification you seemed to blow him off by stating “I’m pretty sure a Doctor Strange film was announced”. So based on that my response to you was to back up Jake’s correction and I did it somewhat bluntly, “I’m absolutely certain that you are wrong.” But you were, at least with the words you chose to use to make your statement. Jake confirmed that information about this was reported, but he (and then I) was just trying to clarify that it wasn’t by Marvel’s choice. That was the point being made. So I jumped in precisely because you didn’t seem to take Jake’s correction seriously. But that is the ONLY thing I was weighing in on. Not whether it’s good or bad that the information is out there (and again for the record, I’d prefer that it didn’t leak out either).

But your reply stating that we will only know if you were wrong if a Doctor Strange sequel never comes out indicated that you didn’t seem to be getting what we were trying to clarify and thought the exchange was about something else entirely. So I tired to further clarify.

It is unfortunate that this information leaked out (though one could argue, as I would, that it really isn’t much of a surprise but I also agree that it is just more fun not knowing for absolute certain. Though again that is another argument).

This all came from Jake and I trying to make a simple correction or clarification which, as Adam pointed out, was to address the issue of responsibility for who spoiled the surprise for some.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Basically acknowledging that information had leaked out about future plans for some of these characters (including Strange) but clarifying the point that none of that was officially announced by Marvel. Marvel would have preferred, as would you (and as would I) that these plans remained in the shadows until after Endgame. But instead of accepting Jake’s information or asking for clarification you seemed to blow him off by stating “I’m pretty sure a Doctor Strange film was announced”. So based on that my response to you was to back up Jake’s correction and I did it somewhat bluntly, “I’m absolutely certain that you are wrong.”
It's quite possible that one could construe Kevin Feige's confirmation that they are doing a sequel to Doctor Strange as an announcement. It's not in the form of a formal press release, but when it comes from Feige, I would pretty much take it as fact. Granted, he never said when it was happening, just that they were going to do one.

Kevin Feige Confirms 'Doctor Strange 2' Is Definitely Happening

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's quite possible that one could construe Kevin Feige's confirmation that they are doing a sequel to Doctor Strange as an announcement. It's not in the form of a formal press release, but when it comes from Feige, I would pretty much take it as fact. Granted, he never said when it was happening, just that they were going to do one.

Kevin Feige Confirms 'Doctor Strange 2' Is Definitely Happening
Thanks Jeff. I searched for this article to support my position and could not find it. I appreciate your linking it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I actually expect the villain to be one of the areas where Far From Home is weaker than Homecoming, because Michael Keaton's Vulture was one of the better MCU villains.

Yes, Vulture was fantastic, both as written and especially as played by Keaton. But Mysterio is Jake Gyllenhaal, so I'm very hopeful about that. He's one of my favorite actors and seems to choose interesting projects more often than not. I don't think he needed to do Spider-Man unless he thought the role they were offering him was really good. So, I'm optimistic. We'll see.

I remember Mysterio being cool in the reruns of the '90s animated series, but I haen't seen those in probably 15 years or so, so my memory isn't very specific at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gyllenhaal does with him.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
HOMECOMING had a lot going for it, the Vulture included. I liked a lot of things in it. I can't specifically put my finger on why it didn't resonant more loudly with me. Maybe it was the hand holding and the Tony Stark Spidey suit. I'm not sure the elements in the script felt as integrated to me as I wanted them to be.

But if a good movie like this is a rare exception to the regularly produced great ones, that's still pretty darn good. Thor Dark World is probably my least favorite MCU movie, and Homecoming was much better than that, IMO. Still, it's not one that I'm drawn to watch much. I can see it maybe becoming an acquired taste over the years.

As much as I love Tony Stark, I'm looking forward to the day when I see Peter Parker on his own, without the hand holding. One movie of that (Civil War) was fun. Two movies of it (Homecoming) was too much. It didn't bother me in Infinity War as much because of the stakes.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I like the new dynamic of Aunt May being into Peter’s amazing alter-ego, as opposed to always being improbably in the dark. Could make for some interesting comedy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
New poster:

spiderman_far_from_home_ver2.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I really, really dislike the QR code being on the poster. I think it stands out and draws attention to itself in a negative way. I hope this doesn't become a common thing on posters.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That looks like it’s just The US trailer with the “Loser” at the end instead of whatever it was before.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That looks like it’s just The US trailer with the “Loser” at the end instead of whatever it was before.

In the U.S. trailer Flash says "What's up, Dickwad?" So you're right; this is just tamer language.

Also, new posters:

Spider-Man posters.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Twist: Jon Watts is in talks to direct Michael B. Jordan in a movie called Methusaleh at Warner Bros.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/jon-wa...dan-direct-methusaleh-warner-bros-1202596288/

I bring this up in this thread because I have to assume that a third Tom Holland Spider-Man film has to be something that Marvel and Sony want to do. Watts' attachment to this project raises questions on when the next Spider-Man might happen and whether he will be back to direct it. Theoretically, as long as Far From Home is good and performs well, they should want to keep Watts, if he wants to do it.

But, also, there have obviously been other Spider-Man films directed by other people that have done very well in the past. If Watts wanted to leave to pursue other projects, I don't think Sony and Marvel would have as much problem with the idea of replacing him as Marvel did with James Gunn.

Marvel is going to have to announce something at either Comic-Con or D23 about their plans, because the two films on the 2020 schedule are still officially TBA right now. Hopefully we also get confirmation at one of those events about the status of the Marvel/Sony deal and a timetable for a third Spider-Man film under this deal.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I bring this up in this thread because I have to assume that a third Tom Holland Spider-Man film has to be something that Marvel and Sony want to do.
I think so. Sony has to release a new Spider-Man film every few years or they lose the rights and Holland is under contract for one more.

Hopefully we also get confirmation at one of those events about the status of the Marvel/Sony deal and a timetable for a third Spider-Man film under this deal.
I think the question is certainly going to be asked at the press junket for FFH. We may not get an answer, but it's going to be on everyone's minds as to whether or not the deal will be renewed. I'm leaning towards thinking it's getting renewed but perhaps modified. If FFH were to do insanely big numbers, I would think Marvel Studios are going to want some additional compensation in the future. On Sony's side, I'm sure they realize that these spin-offs are only going to be successful for so long before fans will tire of not having Spider-Man appear. I could see them doing something like Spider-Man:2099 which wouldn't need Holland and wouldn't need to be part of the MCU, while still keeping the MCU deal going for the Holland films. Pure guessing and speculation on my part, but I'm curious to see what happens with the deal.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think so. Sony has to release a new Spider-Man film every few years or they lose the rights and Holland is under contract for one more.

I could be wrong, but I think that a condition of the Marvel/Sony deal is that the "ticking clock" factor on Sony's rights be removed. I read this somewhere but don't recall where, so can't cite it, and am not totally sure if it is true. But I remember reading that. In either case, though, Sony has every incentive to keep this going, especially if Far From Home is a big success.

I do think, though, that Marvel should insist that the Tom Holland version of Spider-Man cannot appear in the Venom films or their offshoots. Because Tom Holland is in the MCU, if he were to appear in one of those films, that would by extension make the entire franchise part of the MCU. Into the Spider-Verse has gotten people used to the idea that there can be multiple Spider-Man things at once, so if they want Spider-Man to appear in Venom, I agree it should just be a different actor.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I could be wrong, but I think that a condition of the Marvel/Sony deal is that the "ticking clock" factor on Sony's rights be removed. I read this somewhere but don't recall where, so can't cite it, and am not totally sure if it is true. But I remember reading that. In either case, though, Sony has every incentive to keep this going, especially if Far From Home is a big success.
I wasn't aware of that, but it totally makes sense.

I do think, though, that Marvel should insist that the Tom Holland version of Spider-Man cannot appear in the Venom films or their offshoots. Because Tom Holland is in the MCU, if he were to appear in one of those films, that would by extension make the entire franchise part of the MCU.
I see your point there. I would love to see a Spider-Man vs. Venom film, but if it's another actor besides Holland then I would be fine with that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure the mass audience makes all these connections about MCU vs. non-MCU, or even really cares about it. I think if Holland were to appear in a Venom film, most of the audience would just sit back and enjoy Spidey vs. Venom, and not give any thought to whether or not it's part of the MCU or how events may or may not fit into any continuity in that world.

I know I just enjoy most of the MCU films as stand-alone films. I watch them in any old order and don't spend much time thinking about how events in one film relate to any of the others. I'd have no issues with Holland's Spidey in a Venom film, or with any of Sony's leased characters appearing in an MCU film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure the mass audience makes all these connections about MCU vs. non-MCU, or even really cares about it.

You're probably right about this. But even if you wouldn't have a problem with it, Kevin Feige almost certainly would. He and his team at Marvel Studios have spent too much time and effort building the MCU into the powerhouse brand that it is today to allow anyone else to produce movies in it. If he wouldn't even play nice with Marvel Television, which is technically owned by the same company, he's not going to let Sony come in and do anything with his toy box that he's not involved in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks