What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (2 Viewers)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Didn’t?
3A8E0DAB-18B1-4156-A618-6AF49600B046.gif

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It was shown at a convention in Brazil today but Sony decided to keep it exclusive for the attendees for now.

I think that's smart. I still expect it to be on Spider-Verse, but dropping it online early next week (like, say, Tuesday or Wednesday) creates some distance from the Endgame trailer, which Sony has to know is still a hot topic of conversation among Marvel fans. By next week, it will have subsided just a bit more than it has now.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
On another board I read that Sony is calling theaters asking them to delete the trailer from the hard drive for Into The Spider-Verse. If this is true, I'm trying to figure out what the reason is for the change. I can't think of a better time to promote Far From Home.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Could be that the trailer showed footage that Marvel did not want out yet.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The guy clarified his original statement and went into more detail. Apparently they have a press screening scheduled for Thursday for Holmes And Watson. The Far From Home trailer was attached to that hard drive, not Into The Spider-Verse. Sony called and asked them not to show it. When he said, "Sony asked us to delete it from our system," I (wrongly) assumed it was attached to Spider-Verse.

Still, the original point stands. Why would you not have that trailer running in front of all those Spider-Man fans this weekend?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The latest date I'm hearing from multiple sources is Tuesday, December 18th for the trailer, which makes no sense.

Still, the original point stands. Why would you not have that trailer running in front of all those Spider-Man fans this weekend?
Exactly. It's insanity not to have a trailer for next year's high-profile Spider-Man feature film attached to this year's high-profile Spider-Man feature film.

Let's assume that the latest rumors are wrong, and the trailer does play before Into the Spider-Verse starting Friday evening. The movie itself has showtimes starting late Thursday afternoon. A lot of those earliest screenings will be priced at at premium, if recent trends are any indication. It seems crazy to potentially charge fans more and exclude something from their experience that the general audience will get at regular pricing the next day.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Could be. I always assumed that Marvel Studios would have been the one putting together the trailers, but perhaps not.

I believe that marketing and distribution are Sony's prerogative on this film. Which doesn't mean they wouldn't take a note from Marvel necessarily, but I don't think they're obligated to do so.

The entire existence of this film requires them to say in marketing that Spider-Man is alive, even though he won't be brought back to life until Endgame. Even if they didn't trailer it on Spider-Verse, they would have to trailer it before April 26 for a July 5 release, because that's just how marketing works these days. Marvel knows this, and knew it when they decided to kill Spider-Man in Infinity War in the first place.

So it might as well go on Spider-Verse, because it has to come out before Endgame does. There's no way that we will be able to experience Endgame believing that Spider-Man stays dead, and that's fine with me, because even if Far From Home wasn't two months later, there's no way I would believe he was staying dead. As I said in the Doctor Strange thread, the question now is how, not if, they will get the dead characters back.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Let's assume that the latest rumors are wrong, and the trailer does play before Into the Spider-Verse starting Friday evening. The movie itself has showtimes starting late Thursday afternoon. A lot of those earliest screenings will be priced at at premium, if recent trends are any indication.

Where did you get your idea that they would start screening the trailer Friday evening? I'm not trying to fight here, I just feel like I missed something. It seems to me that either it will be on Spider-Verse, which as you noted starts screening Thursday, or it won't. I agree that if it's not, that would be a waste of resources on Sony's part. But perhaps they want Spider-Verse to stand alone. If so, that's admirable I suppose, but both the MCU Spider-Man and Venom have appeared on screen this year, so obviously they're entering a world where multiple franchises derived from this comic property already exist.

Also, for the record, it does not appear that the early screenings here are not being priced differently than a normal movie at that time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get your idea that they would start screening the trailer Friday evening? I'm not trying to fight here, I just feel like I missed something.
That had no basis in anything, just a middle of the night insomnia-driven hypothetical. It was based on a) my feeling that it'd be insane not to have the Far From Home trailer attached to Into the Spider-Verse on its opening weekend, and b) Sony apparently doesn't want the trailer out Thursday if they're stripping it off of a Thursday preview screening the Will Ferrell Sherlock Holmes movie.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Trailer descriptions give an interesting twist to Mysterio as well as explaining the different Spidey suits. Sounds intriguing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyway I saw Mysteriowith the bowl on his head, the costume looked great.
Molton-Man
Hydro-man
Rock-man?
Someone standing next to Fury who could be Danvers?

Gwen Stacy?

Mysterio probably creating the elemental creatures to look like a hero after taking them out and Spider-man revealing him as a fruad and Leading to Mysterio wanting to get Spide-man for doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks