What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it should be understood that in a discussion thread about a film, there will be spoiler details being discussed by those that have seen the film once it's released. Those that want to avoid spoilers should stay out of the discussion thread until they've seen the film. Having to click on dozens of spoiler boxes makes this thread nearly incoherent and unreadable.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I watched Homecoming again the night before seeing this one. I knew, but hadn't really remembered, that Spider-Man stole (and crashed) Flash's dad's car to go after the Vulture. It probably doesn't matter six years or so later, but we never saw Peter replace that car, or Flash's phone which he also "borrowed." In light of seeing that scene again, I thought it was interesting that Flash respects and admires someone who stole a car from him.

Peter would not have been in a financial position to replace said car or phone, but Tony Stark certainly could have done so and had Spider-Man deliver it to Flash. We can assume that didn't happen because if Flash had had a replacement car delivered to him by his hero Spider-Man, he probably would have bragged about it as a point of pride. Again, so much happened since Homecoming that the issue of the car seems irrelevant now, but the lack of resolution to that thread speaks to Peter's overall lack of responsibility in the first film. It's weird that he didn't take responsibility for many of his actions in that film because responsibility is such a cornerstone theme for this character I'm glad to see that Peter was more aware of the consequences of his decisions in this film.

I hope that the next film allows us to see the reactions from people who didn't already know about Spider-Man's identity, including Flash. It will be interesting to see which of his classmates will stand by him and which will become convinced that he was trying to cause them harm in Europe.

I don't see how the next film can be a high school comedy again unless Peter being framed is quickly dealt with. If Spider-Man was framed, but his identity remained a secret, then Peter could simply go to school undercover. But since it appears that he will be wanted for murder and everyone knows who he is, he can't just go back to school like nothing is happening. The police would be waiting for him there. So either the next movie is going to have to exonerate Peter rather quickly, or Peter and May would have to go on the run. I have no idea how they get out of this, which is one of the reasons I was even more excited by it than I was to see Simmons again. And I was delighted to see Simmons again. To be honest, this feels like an even bigger cliffhanger than Infinity War did, because at least there we knew that they would have to get the dusted characters back in some way or other. I have no idea which path they will choose for the next one, and that's amazing.

Also, unlike most of the Marvel credits scenes, these are actually directly related to this film as much as they are about setting up the future. Especially with the first one, how much discussion do you think there was about where to place it? I could easily imagine an argument for placing it before the credits.

I’m sure there was a lot of consideration about putting the mid-credits scene as the actual final scene in the main body of the film. I think it may have come down too wanting to “end” the narrative of the film with a certain tone and continue that tone through the first section of the credits with the song they chose, which was great and very appropriate for the film we just saw.
Placing the mid-credits scene before the credits is this big WTF bomb that obviously creates a different vibe going into the credits, and the song they used may not have worked as well because you’re now ending on a more dramatic note.
So I have to imagine they considered both possibilities.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Re: spoiler tags, etc.

Perhaps, for a film that is likely to have a ton of discussion, have one non-spoiler thread and one spoiler thread? Like with Avengers: Endgame? I can see likely candidates being MCU films and Star Wars films. Essentially, films that have a shared universe or dense mythology, since the various connections, callbacks and implications from character actions and plot reveals generate so much discussion!

Re: FFH

I liked it, but I rank it below Homecoming, which I loved and thought was hilarious! The humour in FFH sometimes feels a little forced. However, its character development and plot advancement (exploring the aftermath of Endgame while laying foundations for the future of the MCU) is what makes it still quite compelling. And the mid and post credits scenes are amazing.

If I may summarise (IMO, of course):

Homecoming is a great solo superhero/Spider-man film within the confines of the MCU
Far From Home is a very good MCU film with Spider-man as its solo superhero

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it should be understood that in a discussion thread about a film, there will be spoiler details being discussed by those that have seen the film once it's released. Those that want to avoid spoilers should stay out of the discussion thread until they've seen the film. Having to click on dozens of spoiler boxes makes this thread nearly incoherent and unreadable.
Yeah, I spoilerize for quite awhile if I'm talking about the ending or if there's a major twist but other than that, I think most stuff is fair game. That's why that once a movie is out, I avoid the thread if I'm concerned about being spoiled.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Love these yearbook photos Jon Watts posted.

upload_2019-7-4_14-44-45.jpeg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A couple mor things on the movie.
When Happy kept telling Peter he can’t ghost Fury, was that Fury they were ghosting or Talos?
Probably Fury.

I didn’t like Peter not saying Aunt May but called her May a handful of times.

When
Peter and Beck are talking in the bar it was odd at the start of that because both of them are sitting in a bar being all casual while both of them are in costume.
Now I know Mysterio is in costume but I don’t remember if Peter was, my wife thinks he was.

Anyway it was odd that they had the costumes on and that no one in the bar appeared to think anything unusual was going on.

So there were definite clues that things weren’t what they seemed to be there.

As a person who knows about Mysterio I was waiting for the heal turn because I knew it was coming just not when.
Then right after peter left the bar I knew that it was about to happen and despite all That exposition I loved the heal turn there.

To the mid credit scene.
Won’t it be relatively easy for them to use a Talos or another skrull to do a “see we’re two different people” and to explain that he used the drones to creat the fake Elementals?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When Happy kept telling Peter he can’t ghost Fury, was that Fury they were ghosting or Talos?
Probably Fury.
I don't see any reason to think the real Nick Fury was on Earth at all for the whole movie. It was Talos the whole time, and Talos would have been the one calling Peter. If Fury had been on Earth for part of the movie, he wouldn't have left while the Earth was in danger.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All of the stuff there was about the Blip was great, but I would have liked even more of it. We're talking two pretty cataclysmic events in five years that the world was completely unprepared for. For instance:
Aunt May talks about how she was brought back in her apartment and there was a whole other family living there. In Endgame, there were a whole lot of abandoned buildings, but there were also a whole lot of people who would have relocated during those five years. Bringing back more than 3 billion people at once would result in massive displacements. And even those homes that didn't have new occupants during the Blip sat abandoned with no upkeep for five years. Many of them will take a lot of work before they're habitable again.

Agreed. And I have to think, at some point, that will be addressed somewhere in the MCU. Just like Ant-Man and the Wasp last year, Far From Home is a palette cleanser from the high emotions of Endgame. I don't know if I could have dealt with two movies back to back which were dour and high stakes. (Yes, FFH has high stakes, but in a different way than Endgame.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Assked my nephew 'how did Talos understand Happy's coded message?'

"It was an easy message, simply things arent always what they seem"

Meh.

Also asked about Flash's mom not showing up, apparently in the Comics Flash becomes a war hero and doesn't turn on Spidey, which is what I was expecting....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty clear to me that:
The switch happened post-Endgame but pre-Far From Home. In his will, Tony Stark had entrusted Nick Fury with passing along the E.D.I.T.H. glasses to Peter, and Talos mentioned in the post-credits stinger that Fury had passed along that task to Talos.

The real Nick Fury would have known that Quentin Beck was a disgruntled former employee of Stark Industries, rather than a man from an alternate universe. Talos didn't spend years tracking Iron Man and his associates, so he wouldn't have had that same background information. So even the Mexico scene between the Columbia title card and the Marvel Studios title card featured the Skrulls, and not the real Nick Fury.

A lingering question: Was Maria Hill ever human, or has she been a Skrull in disguise that Nick Fury recruited during his interactions with Captain Marvel?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A lingering question: Was Maria Hill ever human, or has she been a Skrull in disguise that Nick Fury recruited during his interactions with Captain Marvel?

I think she's human. I would need to watch Captain Marvel again followed by the FFH tag to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the Skrull impersonating Hill is Talos' wife from Captain Marvel. If so, it seems clear that his wife came to Earth with him when he switched places with Fury, and that the real Maria Hill is presumably also in space with the real Fury. There's no way Talos would want his wife living on Earth for a couple decades in the company of Nick Fury when he was off in space being re-homed by Captain Marvel. We don't need to see the real Maria Hill in space in the stinger to confirm her presence; I think it's fair to assume that where Fury goes, she would go as well.

This is the first time we've seen Talos since 1995, so that's either 28 years or 29 years, depending on when Far From Home takes place. Endgame was set in 2023, and we know from the R.I.P. video at the top of Far From Home that eight months have passed since the end of that film when everyone was returned, so it seems to me that we might be in 2024 by now, depending on when in 2023 Endgame was. I just don't see a scenario in which Talos is willing to live apart from his wife for almost three decades so that she can work for Fury at SHIELD. That makes no sense.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I liked the film despite a major twist deliberately spoiled for me. It was a bit better than the first Spidey Homecoming film, which as I have said I thought was the weakest MCU film.

The best parts I thought were the interactions between the kids and the scenes in
Sweden(?).

Gonna read thru everyone’s thoughts and let it sit awhile.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't see any reason to think the real Nick Fury was on Earth at all for the whole movie. It was Talos the whole time, and Talos would have been the one calling Peter. If Fury had been on Earth for part of the movie, he wouldn't have left while the Earth was in danger.

True.

Negan says hi!

=)
Negan says hi!

=)
That show has no significance to me.

That character isn’t exactly as iconic a figure as Jameson plus Jameson has been around since 1964. Negan not so much.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I may be in the minority but the running theme of Tony Stark believing so much in Peter Parker and Spidey and trusting him with so much just rings a bit false to me.

Anyone else feel this way? I guess I just didn’t get the “love” between them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I may be in the minority but the running theme of Tony Stark believing so much in Peter Parker and Spidey and trusting him with so much just rings a bit false to me.

Anyone else feel this way? I guess I just didn’t get the “love” between them.
After Endgame, you're still questioning how much Peter Parker meant to Tony?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The loss of Peter was enough to motivate Tony to agree to the time heist and figure out time travel, even though he was reluctant to do that because messing with time could have meant wiping out his daughter. I don't have any problem buying the relationship. Homecoming was about Peter being kind of reckless because he wanted more, but he was also right about Vulture, and Tony learned to trust Peter's instincts when Peter was able to apprehend him even without the high-tech suit. I certainly don't have a problem with believing that Tony would leave Peter the Edith tech. In the last movie, he gave him a suit with "instant kill" protocols.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks