1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Sure, I get when that happens.

But to deliberately post a spoiler like that?? Nope!

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Here's why I hope Marvel has a surprise planned regarding Jake's character. To be clear, I haven't seen the movie yet and this is all speculation.

I don't read comics, but I remember Mysterio as a cool villain from the '90s animated series. We know from the trailer that he is introduced as an ally for Peter and Nick Fury. But the fans in the audience who are aware of his comics history will be expecting him to be the villain. If the film does turn him into a "surprise villain" who betrays Peter, that's exactly what all the fans would expect, so it would be a surprise for Peter, but not really a surprise for the informed audience. It's like when Bond called Spectre, well, Spectre, but played it as a surprise that the person known for running that organization was the villain. That played to me like, "Yeah...duh."

On the other hand, if Marvel were to take a character who has been a major part of Spider-Man's rouges gallery and genuinely turn him into an ally for Peter, that would be a fun surprise that almost no one would be expecting. I'd much rather see that than have them fall back on the "surprise villain" trope.

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I see the Mods have removed Gary’s movie ruining spoiler of a post.

But the damage is done.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    For you, unfortunately yes. However, thanks to the mods for removing it so no one else gets spoiled.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I know next to nothing about the comics, but I'm not sure how anyone who has seen a couple of the trailers hadn't already figured that out. I read the original post and didn't think it revealed anything unknown. The reactions here are kind of surprising, IMO. Well, on second thought, no, not really.

6. Message #326 of 649 Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I don't remember a time since I became a fan of the character when I didn't know the piece of spoiler information that was posted. Jake is playing a widely-known character in Spider-Man lore who I personally remember from the '90s animated series. So I can't say that I had the same reaction as Tino because I already knew that information. I would also go so far as to assume that the majority of fans who are really plugged into Spider-Man know that information.

However, since Tino went out of his way in his post to be clear that he was able to avoid that information and didn't know about the character's history and didn't want to, I'm not sure why that piece of information needed to be relayed to him. That's to me what was in bad taste, because it it was the opposite of what Tino said he wanted.

That being said, Kevin Feige, who of course is really sensitive about spoilers, doesn't consider it to be one. He said the following about Jake's character. Since people here disagree, I'm spoilerizing the quote, but it is as vague as Feige usually is on plot points.

Tino, Sean Bryan and Malcolm R like this.
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    On another note, when is everyone seeing the movie? I have my ticket for tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 7:30pm.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm going Wednesday night, showtime determinant on when dinner wraps up. So I'm basically going into an internet blackout after this post.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I don't feel the need to do a total internet blackout, but I will be out of this particular thread once the movie opens until I've seen it.

I'm heading off now to watch Homecoming again. (Yes, I know Infinity War and Endgame are in between for this character as well, but Homecoming is its solo film precursor, plus Endgame isn't on Blu-ray yet so I couldn't watch them all between now and tomorrow night anyway.) So just Homecoming with its focus on Spider-Man and his supporting cast will do.

See you all on the other side!

10. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    I saw it a couple of days ago and was very disappointed..

11. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    SPIDERMAN -FAR FROM HOME I meant to say.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. Most Marvel/Spidey fans are going to have alot of fun with it.

Most importantly, a Ramones song is played in the movie. Spider-Man and the Ramones- the two best things to come out of Queens.

The credit scenes are important enough that even I was impressed.

Sam Favate likes this.
  13. Message #333 of 649 Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    So you think I’m overreacting?

I deliberately avoided all spoilers as I usually do and stated as much. I know you don’t care about spoilers Malcolm as you have said so many times but I do.

Whatever. I’ll live. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the film despite this BS. Moving on.

Peace:)

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Just got out of a midnight screening. Been a long time since there was a genuine midnight audience. I’ve missed that.

I liked the movie.

I think if you liked Homecoming, you’ll like this, and if you had issues with that one, you’ll have the same issues with this one.

DavidJ likes this.
  15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Hmm. At the time I thought the first film was the weakest of all the MCU films. Ive warmed up to it over the years and to Holland’s portrayal.

Plan on seeing It on Wednesday.

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    I thought it was very good. I liked it much better than Homecoming, although not as well as Into The Spider-Verse.

17. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Just got back from seeing it. It’s a lot of fun and there are a lot of laughs to be had. I really enjoyed that. It’s a comic book superhero movie that embraces the fun and that’s a bit of a relief. I have quibbles with it but I still think it’s solid. I enjoyed it most when they focused on the kids, their trip, and their relationships.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  18. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I'm seeing it today at 12:40PM.

19. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Tonight, 5:30. I had a ticket for 8:30 tonight (which is WAY too late for me and I can't figure out WHY I got that show time in the first place). Going to a Real D 3D show...not my preferred showing, but because I was dense in the original ticket, it was a REALLY late or terrible seat Dolby show or a Digital show. I opted for this so I can be in bed at a fairly decent time tonight.

20. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Far From Home is a good movie with an excellent ending. There is a scene where you get to see what Peter can do without the suit. That is important because the MCU movies have previously spent more time showing what Tony's tech could do instead of what makes Peter actually spider-man.

The two end credits scenes are excellent.