1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The individual character posters work for me a whole lot better than the two at the bottom, which look awfully generic.

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I see Jackson gets second billing, just like in Captain Marvel. I hope this means he's in this as much as he was in that one. 2019 is turning out to be the best year for Nick Fury yet!

TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Except for his silent appearance in Endgame. That wasn't much. ;)

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    New TV spot with quite a bit of new footage:

Adam Lenhardt and Jake Lipson like this.
  5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Well, I guess:
    The bit with MJ calling Peter out on being Spider-Man wasn't a misdirect, given that she's hugging him in his Spidey costume with his mask off.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

https://deadline.com/2019/05/spider-man-far-from-home-to-be-sonys-first-conversion-to-screenx-270-degree-format-1202623658/

From Deadline;

EXCLUSIVE: For moviegoers interested in a new way to experience Spider-Man, Sony has set its first partnership with CJ 4DPlex to convert this summer’s Spider-Man: Far from Home into the 270-degree, panoramic ScreenX format.

The July 2 release will be the studio’s first in the new format. Sony and CJ had previously teamed on a 4DX release of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Screenings in 4DX offer moving seats and other sensory and environmental effects to augment viewing. Far From Home will also be made available in 4DX.

The 270-degree ScreenX system transcends the traditional boundaries of a movie theater screen, projecting images on the auditorium’s side walls as well.

Major studios have given the format a spin as it gains some traction in the U.S. As of May 2019, ScreenX was available in 214 auditoriums in 19 countries, and 21 auditoriums in the U.S.

“We are very excited to share Spider-Man: Far From Home with audiences around the world and have them experience the highly anticipated film expanded onto the side walls of the ScreenX auditoriums,” said JongRyul Kim, CEO of CJ 4DPLEX. “Fans will be blown away by the immersive and visual experience of ScreenX and we look forward to bringing more of these exciting cinematic experiences to audiences in the future with Sony Pictures.”

“We couldn’t be happier in expanding our partnership with CJ 4DPLEX to bring Spider-Man: Far From Home to audiences worldwide in the innovative ScreenX format,” said Scott Sherr, EVP, WW Theatrical Distribution of Sony Pictures. “We’re excited to give consumers a choice – an immersive experience that they can only experience in theaters. We trust the capabilities of ScreenX to offer a visual boost to the journey of Spider-Man, and we look forward to entertaining audiences through this unique and exciting cinematic technology.”

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Was there a reason this needed its own thread?

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Message #288 of 294 May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I agree with @Adam Lenhardt's implication above. Thanks for posting, Gary, but I think this should be merged with the main Far From Home thread.

[Edit: I see the merger has now taken place. Thanks to whoever did that. For the sake of clarity in case anyone is reading this later and gets confused, Gary's post #286 was originally posted in an individual thread, along with Adam's reply and mine.]

As far as the news itself, I'm not really sure what this format is. I've never heard of it before and I don't think any of the 21 auditoriums in the U.S. that support it are around here. But of course Sony has found another premium format to charge audiences more money.

From the description, I'm not sure I would like to see images projected on the side walls. It seems like that would just make it more difficult to see everything you need to see at the same time to understand the story, since you'd have to be turning your head to see images on the side walls in addition to what's being projected in front of you. This if I'm understanding it correctly, of course.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This format is intended to be a modern day take on Cinerama but it has severe limitations from what I’ve read. The beauty of Cinerama was that that actually photographed wider images to fill the wider screen.

With this concept, though, you have the movie as made by the filmmakers which appears in the center panel. Then, you have extensions on both sides of the main screen that display content generated by this third party to match the film. As an example, think of some of the Disney Blu-rays for their 1.37:1 animated films which give you the option to either display black bars on the side, or painted panels instead. This is sort of the equivalent to that. And this extra side panel content is created by this third party, not by the filmmakers. So it’s not even analogous to IMAX enhancements, where the expanded aspect ratio material was still material made by the filmmakers during production.

It’s probably more immersive in that more of your field of view is filled, but since it’s being filled with things not made by the filmmakers, it’s hard for me to work up any enthusiasm over it.

In that sense, it’s like 4DX, where it’s a third party, and not the filmmakers, who create the enhancements.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

In addition to projecting on the screen at the front of the theater, additional picture is projected onto the side walls of the theater. It's similar to Cinerama, in that it utilizes three synchronized projectors to create an ultra-wide field of vision. But unlike Cinerama, it doesn't utilize a curved screen, and there is no effort made to disguise the "seams" between the three images. Here's an example image:
    ScreenX.

I'm sympathetic to the intention behind the format, but I hate that it's yet another "premium" format that compromises the idea of an "original aspect ratio". I'd rather the filmmakers concentrate on delivering the best framing they can within a 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 frame which is then deployed for all exhibition methods, than have to juggle the needs of all these competing formats.

Jake Lipson and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    My bigger problem with the format is that the side panels are created by a third party after the fact, and aren’t part of the filmmaker’s process. It’s probably a fun gimmick, but those panels aren’t really part of the movie.

Jake Lipson and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  12. Message #292 of 294 May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Wow. That sounds awful. I would not be interested in that at all. It just sounds like a glorified distraction from the movie.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

To both accommodate China's restrictions on foreign films and to get ahead of the increasingly complex trade situation between the United States and China, Sony has moved the Chinese release day to June 28 -- five days before the rest of the world.

There's a new Chinese trailer for the new release date, with some new footage sprinkled throughout:

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Peter Parker Problems at Customs (click to enlarge):
    Spider-Man_FarFromHome_075.

Additional New Promotional Photos (click to enlarge):
    Spider-Man_FarFromHome_068.
    Angourie Rice, Jacob Batalon and Zendaya in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_069.
    Tom Holland and Zendaya star in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_070.
    Samuel L. Jackson and Jon Favreau in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_071.
    Tom Holland and Samuel L. Jackson star in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_072.
    Spider-Man in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_073.
    Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_074.
    Michelle (Zendaya) catches a ride from Spider-Man in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.