What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The individual character posters work for me a whole lot better than the two at the bottom, which look awfully generic.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see Jackson gets second billing, just like in Captain Marvel. I hope this means he's in this as much as he was in that one. 2019 is turning out to be the best year for Nick Fury yet!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
https://deadline.com/2019/05/spider...sion-to-screenx-270-degree-format-1202623658/

From Deadline;

EXCLUSIVE: For moviegoers interested in a new way to experience Spider-Man, Sony has set its first partnership with CJ 4DPlex to convert this summer’s Spider-Man: Far from Home into the 270-degree, panoramic ScreenX format.

The July 2 release will be the studio’s first in the new format. Sony and CJ had previously teamed on a 4DX release of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Screenings in 4DX offer moving seats and other sensory and environmental effects to augment viewing. Far From Home will also be made available in 4DX.

The 270-degree ScreenX system transcends the traditional boundaries of a movie theater screen, projecting images on the auditorium’s side walls as well.

Major studios have given the format a spin as it gains some traction in the U.S. As of May 2019, ScreenX was available in 214 auditoriums in 19 countries, and 21 auditoriums in the U.S.

“We are very excited to share Spider-Man: Far From Home with audiences around the world and have them experience the highly anticipated film expanded onto the side walls of the ScreenX auditoriums,” said JongRyul Kim, CEO of CJ 4DPLEX. “Fans will be blown away by the immersive and visual experience of ScreenX and we look forward to bringing more of these exciting cinematic experiences to audiences in the future with Sony Pictures.”

“We couldn’t be happier in expanding our partnership with CJ 4DPLEX to bring Spider-Man: Far From Home to audiences worldwide in the innovative ScreenX format,” said Scott Sherr, EVP, WW Theatrical Distribution of Sony Pictures. “We’re excited to give consumers a choice – an immersive experience that they can only experience in theaters. We trust the capabilities of ScreenX to offer a visual boost to the journey of Spider-Man, and we look forward to entertaining audiences through this unique and exciting cinematic technology.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree with @Adam Lenhardt's implication above. Thanks for posting, Gary, but I think this should be merged with the main Far From Home thread.

[Edit: I see the merger has now taken place. Thanks to whoever did that. For the sake of clarity in case anyone is reading this later and gets confused, Gary's post #286 was originally posted in an individual thread, along with Adam's reply and mine.]

As far as the news itself, I'm not really sure what this format is. I've never heard of it before and I don't think any of the 21 auditoriums in the U.S. that support it are around here. But of course Sony has found another premium format to charge audiences more money.

From the description, I'm not sure I would like to see images projected on the side walls. It seems like that would just make it more difficult to see everything you need to see at the same time to understand the story, since you'd have to be turning your head to see images on the side walls in addition to what's being projected in front of you. This if I'm understanding it correctly, of course.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This format is intended to be a modern day take on Cinerama but it has severe limitations from what I’ve read. The beauty of Cinerama was that that actually photographed wider images to fill the wider screen.

With this concept, though, you have the movie as made by the filmmakers which appears in the center panel. Then, you have extensions on both sides of the main screen that display content generated by this third party to match the film. As an example, think of some of the Disney Blu-rays for their 1.37:1 animated films which give you the option to either display black bars on the side, or painted panels instead. This is sort of the equivalent to that. And this extra side panel content is created by this third party, not by the filmmakers. So it’s not even analogous to IMAX enhancements, where the expanded aspect ratio material was still material made by the filmmakers during production.

It’s probably more immersive in that more of your field of view is filled, but since it’s being filled with things not made by the filmmakers, it’s hard for me to work up any enthusiasm over it.

In that sense, it’s like 4DX, where it’s a third party, and not the filmmakers, who create the enhancements.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As far as the news itself, I'm not really sure what this format is. I've never heard of it before and I don't think any of the 21 auditoriums in the U.S. that support it are around here. But of course Sony has found another premium format to charge audiences more money.
In addition to projecting on the screen at the front of the theater, additional picture is projected onto the side walls of the theater. It's similar to Cinerama, in that it utilizes three synchronized projectors to create an ultra-wide field of vision. But unlike Cinerama, it doesn't utilize a curved screen, and there is no effort made to disguise the "seams" between the three images. Here's an example image:
ScreenX.jpg

I'm sympathetic to the intention behind the format, but I hate that it's yet another "premium" format that compromises the idea of an "original aspect ratio". I'd rather the filmmakers concentrate on delivering the best framing they can within a 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 frame which is then deployed for all exhibition methods, than have to juggle the needs of all these competing formats.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My bigger problem with the format is that the side panels are created by a third party after the fact, and aren’t part of the filmmaker’s process. It’s probably a fun gimmick, but those panels aren’t really part of the movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wow. That sounds awful. I would not be interested in that at all. It just sounds like a glorified distraction from the movie.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To both accommodate China's restrictions on foreign films and to get ahead of the increasingly complex trade situation between the United States and China, Sony has moved the Chinese release day to June 28 -- five days before the rest of the world.

There's a new Chinese trailer for the new release date, with some new footage sprinkled throughout:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Peter Parker Problems at Customs (click to enlarge):
Spider-Man_FarFromHome_075.jpg

Additional New Promotional Photos (click to enlarge):
Spider-Man_FarFromHome_068.jpg
Angourie Rice, Jacob Batalon and Zendaya in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_069.jpg
Tom Holland and Zendaya star in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_070.jpg
Samuel L. Jackson and Jon Favreau in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_071.jpg
Tom Holland and Samuel L. Jackson star in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_072.jpg
Spider-Man in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_073.jpg
Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

Spider-Man_FarFromHome_074.jpg
Michelle (Zendaya) catches a ride from Spider-Man in Columbia Pictures' SPIDER-MAN: ™ FAR FROM HOME.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The cast’s appearance on Kimmel tonight has been very revealing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A friend of mine was browsing online what he thought was going to be some marketing for the movie and ended up stumbling across what he termed as "all the spoilers."

I didn't ask him to elaborate on where he found this, but he seemed pretty bummed about it, so be weary that spoilers are out there now.

Also, a reminder that Far From Home is already playing in China.

So again....people have seen it. There are spoilers. Tread carefully.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Saw it (in China)

Spoiler free, but similar in tone to Homecoming though that was better and funnier

They pretty much spoil EVERYTHING from Endgame in the first 10 minutes not just the obvious one, but I guess they assume you would have seen it.

The central plot and how Gyllenhaal fits into the story is fairly predictable really but given the tone, it doesn’t really matter. It definitely feels like a coda to the other films with very little set up for future films from Marvel.

However It does finish with a funny cameo if you know the previous films and an intriguing setup for the next Spider-Man film.

7 out of 10

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They pretty much spoil EVERYTHING from Endgame in the first 10 minutes not just the obvious one, but I guess they assume you would have seen it.

I don't think it's fair to say that this movie "spoils" Endgame any more than to say that Endgame "spoils" Infinity War. Far From Home is essentially the sequel to Endgame, so it's completely reasonable for them to just go forward. It was fair to say that the marketing for this spoiled Endgame, but anyone watching this before seeing Endgame is asking for it. It's just the chronology of the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks