1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    holtge and TravisR like this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Another couple things jumped out at me from that Fandango interview with Jon Watts that @Sean Bryan posted above.

Watts would know, but this refutes earlier reports that @Adam Lenhardt and I discussed a couple weeks ago about Keaton and Harrier being in it. I wonder if their presence was just a rumor that Deadline got wrong or if they were actually in it and got cut. Deadline is rarely wrong, but I guess in this case, Watts is the authority.

I think it would have been fun to see them again, but it also might have stretched credibility to have them appear in Europe as well, since Liz is no longer in Peter's class, having moved away at the end of Homecoming.

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere last year that someone involved in Endgame (either one of the directors or one of the writers) said that Aunt May had survived the snap. But I guess not. That certainly makes the dynamic with her and Peter much easier actually if they were both snapped because they'll both be adjusting to being alive again in the future; it would have been a long and guilt-ridden five years for her without him there if she had survived.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I Thought you didn’t care about spoilers Malcolm. Nice to see you coming around. ;)

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Ordinarily I don't, and I don't think I've really changed, but I knew I would be able to see Endgame on May 3 so I decided it would only be a couple days of avoidance. If I were waiting for the Endgame blu-ray, I likely wouldn't have avoided reading this thread.

There didn't end up being anything in Endgame that wasn't very predictable anyway. In fact, the surprise was that there wasn't a larger sacrifice required to fix the snap and defeat Thanos.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I think it was one of the Russos. Someone had asked if they could say who wasn’t snapped, and he offhandedly listed a few names of secondary characters and which included May.

The tone of a remark like that is lost in print though. He may have just been deadpanning in listing insignificant secondary characters. Or maybe in their minds that is the way they saw it. But if they didn’t do anything with the idea of her surviving the snap in Endgame them it doesn’t matter.

Far From Home was in production over a year ago and the script would have been in development much further back than that. So I think the comment was more tongue in cheek. Just like the comment from someone last year from I think Markus or McFeely that Far From Home was going to be about Aunt May crying for 2 hours over Peter’s death.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Message #266 of 277 May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Slashfilm has an interesting interview with Jacob Batalon (Ned):

https://www.slashfilm.com/jacob-batalon-interview-spider-man-far-from-home/

Cinema Blend asked producer Eric Carroll about the Daily Bugle:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471477/why-the-new-spider-man-movies-arent-rushing-to-use-the-daily-bugle

Also, several members of the Far From Home cast are appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live airing tomorrow (Thursday, May 9.) Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zendaya, Cobie Smluders, and Jacob Batalon will all be there together. I'm a bit surprised because I would've expected the talk show rounds to be closer to the release date, but I set my DVR to record it.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Leaked scene from Far From Home:

Fury and/or Beck have a categorization system for the various realities connected via the Quantum Realm. The main MCU timeline is Dimension-616 (a nod to the main Marvel Comics dimension) and Mysterio is supposedly from Dimension-833.

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    The cast interview from Jimmy Kimmel Live:

holtge and Jeff Adkins like this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I was thinking tonight about how Homecoming essentially sidestepped the Uncle Ben issue (other than referencing "everything that she's been through lately" with regard to May, or whatever the quote was.) While I completely understand Marvel's choice to back away from showing Peter grieving Ben because we've already seen that twice with McGuire and Garfield, I do think they should address it in Far From Home. Since the film is going to deal with Peter's sense of loss regarding Tony's death, they really should emphasize that Tony is the second major mentor/father figure loss that Peter has suffered recently. It doesn't have to be a lot, but if they make it seem like Peter has never dealt with this before, that would be a disservice both to Peter and to Ben. So, hopefully they follow through on this.

Gary Seven and Sean Bryan like this.
  11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Yes, I hope it gets at least a mention and would prefer it to be acknowledged in a more significant way when exploring his grieving for Tony.

But I really hoped that they would take advantage of the potential for some good drama in exploring the whole May discovering Peter’s secret in the second movie in some way. Maybe they still will touch on that, but now with so much having happened in between film it seems unlikely that there will be much of a focus on this. Half the world died and came back, Peter helped save the Universe, they are both now five years in the future. I can’t see them spending much (if any) time on her adjusting to having discovered Peter is a superhero.

Thematically, it makes sense to bring up Ben when dealing with Peter’s grief about Tony. So I hope it is incorporated in some way. But like with the “discovering of Peter’s secret” story point, I fear it may be sidestepped to focus on the hear and now.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I agree. I would love to see the end of the scene from Homecoming, with Peter explaining it to her. We know thanks to the first trailer that she is supporting and participating (up to a point) with his "career" as Spider-Man, for lack of a better term. (On that note, if she is there saying "Thank you, Spider-Man!" at that photo op or whatever it is, it wouldn't be hard for someone to deduce her relationship to Spider-Man, so he's continuing to do a lousy job of concealing his secret identity.) How May made that transition to supporting would be interesting to see, but as you noted it sort of feels beside the point now, and the MCU films haven't included a whole bunch of flashbacks. (It would have to be a flashback now, if they did it.)

However, the difference between seeing how May came to support Peter and having Peter dwell on Ben is that Ben can come up more organically within the display of Peter's grieving process for Tony. Ben's death and Tony's death coming within a few years of each other (excluding the time jump, which Peter didn't experience) has to hit harder as a combination than one of them would individually, so there's more of an opening to reference Ben than to do the flashback and complete the scene from Homecoming.

If they don't show us May's process of acceptance, I can still accept the absence of it because of the weight of everything else that has happened to Peter between his solo films. If they don't show us a reference to Ben in Peter's grieving process, that would be harder to accept because Ben's death is such a formative moment for Peter. Making it seem that Peter would mourn more for Tony than he did for Ben would be a mistake.

We'll see what happens.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

New Poster:
    59002766_2057546234372339_1495332240386937000_n[1].

Jake Lipson likes this.
  14. Message #274 of 277 May 14, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 12:46 AM
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Forget about the spoiler warning in front of the trailer; if anyone walks into a theater and sees that, they'll instantly be able to figure out that Iron Man died in Endgame. That's clearly a memorial.

Then again, I only know one interested person who wants to see Endgame who hasn't already done so; even most of my friends who rarely go to the theater have turned up for it. So I guess it doesn't matter that much. And Sony doesn't have a reason to care if they spoil Disney's movie anyway.

On another note, Nick Fury's line in the trailer about Peter having been to space sort of makes the subtitle ridiculous. I mean, in Europe Peter is at least on the same planet as his home. He was farther from home in Infinity War when he went to space. So...Europe is small potatoes compared to that, no?

15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    File this under the "weird corporate cross-promotions" category. Spider-Man appears in a United Airlines safety video. Also, it says "Catch United in Spider-Man: Far From Home," so I guess there's going to be product placement that makes sure we know Peter and his friends are flying United to and from get to their trip destinations. I wonder how much United paid Sony for that.

TravisR likes this.
  16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Love this Empire cover.

4A8646C0-E688-424F-9812-A88E6EAC6935.

TravisR, Adam Lenhardt and dpippel like this.
  17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    This is pretty funny...especially the end.

Sean Bryan likes this.