What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see if we get a trailer a month or so from now that peels back the curtain a little bit on what the post-Endgame world looks like.

Entertainment Weekly has an article about Far From Home as part of its summer movie preview. I was surprised to read that:
Fury is the one who connects Peter with Mysterio, and Mysterio replaces Tony as Peter's mentor for this film. While I'm sure there will be a late twist where Mysterio is revealed as the villain behind the Elementals, it's still an unconventional approach for the character.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see if we get a trailer a month or so from now that peels back the curtain a little bit on what the post-Endgame world looks like.
To answer my own question, it looks like we're getting a new Far From Home trailer containing Monday. It apparently contains a message at the beginning from Tom Holland warning that the trailer contains Endgame spoilers, and advising people to leave the auditorium if they haven't seen Endgame and don't want to get spoiled.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It apparently contains a message at the beginning from Tom Holland warning that the trailer contains Endgame spoilers, and advising people to leave the auditorium if they haven't seen Endgame and don't want to get spoiled.

That is ridiculous. How long will people have from the time the spoiler warning shows up until the spoiler to get out of the room? Wow. It's crazy to me that they can't cut a trailer in such a way as to avoid Endgame spoilers. (I assume this must be in reference to something other than Peter being alive in it.)

I suspect the spoiler is either in reference to the five-year time jump or to Peter mourning Tony's death. One or the other or both. But is that so essential to show in the trailer, really?

I am a little surprised that the trailer is coming now, because Sony doesn't have a new release next week. Their next release is Brightburn on Memorial Day Weekend, and then Men in Black International on June 14. If the trailer is coming out next week and attaches to Pikachu, then that would be from a competing studio (Warner Bros.) That wouldn't be unheard of, but I figured they would want to play it with one of their own titles. Also, if it went with one of their titles, that would give people a longer window to see Endgame first.

On the other hand, given the unprecedented nature of the numbers that Endgame is putting up, I would imagine that the vast majority of people who care about Endgame enough to be deeply upset if it gets spoiled for them probably would have gone to it sometime in the first two weeks anyway.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
There was a trailer before my showing of Endgame today. No disclaimer.

As Tony said, that was the old trailer. But how crappy that the trailer played at all! Disney should have had some sort of requirement that the trailer not be played before Endgame. It didn’t play at my Cinemark showing last week. Hopefully it doesn’t play when I go again this weekend to see it on a different screen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Too bad that of all the movies to follow End Game, this one had to be Sony owned.

There was an article a while back that said that Marvel wanted Far From Home to be 2020, but Sony vetoed that and insisted that it be 2019. Since Spider-Man is Sony's character, the alternative would, of course, be not having him in the MCU at all. I'll accept this.

In regards to the spoiler from Entertainment Weekly that @Adam Lenhardt posted in post #201, I just groaned when I read that.
I've had enough of the whole "secret villain" trope, especially in this case. Mysterio is a known adversary of Spider-Man and has been for years in the comics and the animated series. A big reveal that he is actually the villain of the piece won't surprise anyone because we all know how these movies are designed, and we all know who that character is. I really wish they wouldn't do that. We'll see how it plays, but that doesn't really sound like it's a good idea.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I was kind of hoping for a Spider-Man trailer at the end of Endgame (thus, making it a true trailer, as it trailed the movie.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was kind of hoping for a Spider-Man trailer at the end of Endgame (thus, making it a true trailer, as it trailed the movie.)
Great idea! That could have served in place of the usual post-credits scene and solved the issue of having a spoiler of sorts showing before Endgame.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here is the trailer, follow Tom Holland's advice and don't watch it if you haven't seen End Game:

And I heard reference to the Russo Brothers saying that today spoilers for End Game can be talked about openly so be wary.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And this is the article about open spoilers being allowed by the Russo Brothers starting today.
https://www.cnet.com/news/avengers-endgame-spoiler-ban-lifts-monday-russo-brothers-say/

"The Russo brothers appeared on Good Morning America and tweeted out a video from the segment on Thursday. "Part of why we make these movies is for conversation," said Joe Russo, who then declared the spoiler ban would be over Monday after the movie's second weekend."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And I heard reference to the Russo Brothers saying that today spoilers for End Game can be talked about openly so be wary.

I suspect they arrived at this date for the end of the "ban" because they knew the Far From Home trailer was being dropped today. And, man, that really went for it by revealing one of the biggest spoilers from the whole movie right at the front. If I saw that in a theater in front of something, I don't know that there would be enough time for me to exit the theater between the end of the spoiler warning and the appearance of the spoiler in the trailer.

Otherwise, it looks good. The reveal from the EW article that @Adam Lenhardt posted last week is made explicitly clear in the trailer. It's interesting that they're opening up a multiverse concept in relation to Spider-Man in this film because Into the Spider-Verse just did that so well last year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I suspect they arrived at this date for the end of the "ban" because they knew the Far From Home trailer was being dropped today. And, man, that really went for it by revealing one of the biggest spoilers from the whole movie right at the front. If I saw that in a theater in front of something, I don't know that there would be enough time for me to exit the theater between the end of the spoiler warning and the appearance of the spoiler in the trailer.
I may be a jerk but if someone is that concerned with spoilers and hasn't seen Endgame yet AND they still watch this trailer, it's their own fault.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I may be a jerk but if someone is that concerned with spoilers and hasn't seen Endgame yet AND they still watch this trailer, it's their own fault.

Oh, I agree. Seeking it out online is one thing. Seeing it in a theater before another movie -- say, Pikachu for example -- would be something else entirely. Although if you are going to the theater to see something else and haven't seen Endgame yet, then you probably don't care to see Endgame all that much at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm guessing it'll be on Monday night - if I recall, Amazing Spider-Man 1 had the same date and that's what happened there.

I agreed with this assumption, but it looks like we guessed wrong. Tickets are on sale now alongside the release of the new trailer, and the first showtimes (at least here) are in fact on Tuesday, July 2, so no Monday preview night. What does it look like where you are?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like a fun movie. I really like this take on "MJ", and that she figures out that Peter is Spider-Man.
Who doesn't know Peter is SM at this point? May knows, Ned knows, now MJ, and probably others I'm forgetting. Worst kept secret in Queens. Looks like Peter is as bad as Tom Holland at keeping secrets. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What are the going rules for Endgame spoilers in this thread? I know the Russos said that everything is fair game today, but is HTF taking direction from the Russos now?

Anyway, I'll put this under spoiler tags just in case -- although I can't imagine why anyone would be reading page 11 of a Far From Home thread without having seen Endgame first.

The new trailer referenced Iron Man's death multiple times, but not how the five-year time jump is working with regard to Peter's school. Did his entire class get snapped? We were talking a little bit about this last week, and I expected the trailer would shed some light on it. I guess we'll find out in July. Ignoring it does not seem like an option for the film.

The best thing in the whole trailer for me was Happy pausing during what seems to be a life-threatening situation to clarify that he works with, not for Spider-Man. Obviously it would bother him to be seen as in the employ of a teenager, but maybe that's not the best moment to make that correction -- although since he did pause to do that, they didn't get on the jet before it blew up, so maybe his pride was an asset there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks