What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trades have been slow to pick this up, but Box Office Mojo says Sony just moved up the release date to Tuesday, July 2, rather than Friday, July 5.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Makes sense - 7pm on July 4th isn't a great time to open a movie.

Right - that's why I always thought July 5 was a weird choice for it. This way also allows them to be open for the entire time around the Fourth holiday, in case some people take extra time off before the holiday too.

It's unclear as of yet whether there will be previews on Monday night or whether the Tuesday opening will be the actual opening, but either way it's earlier.

This will also spread out its box office take across the first several days, so it won't have a true apples-to-apples comparison with the three-day opening weekend take of Homecoming (or Endgame, for that matter.) But that's fine. By the end of the long stretch, it will have made a ton of money.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
if I recall, Amazing Spider-Man 1 had the same date and that's what happened there.

Amazing Spider-Man opened on Tuesday, July 3, so you're almost right (and you are right in principle that it was the same day of the week.) So based on that, I agree with your assumption.

This also gives Sony a couple more days for Spider-Man to be the #1 movie before The Lion King arrives on July 19. (Interesting that Jon Favreau is in Far From Home and is directing the movie that will unseat it.) This assumes that the movies coming on Friday the 12th won't top, but there's no major franchise openings there, so I don't have a problem imagining that Spider-Man will stay on top for two weekends.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think it matters a great deal whether Spider-Man is in "phase three" or "phase four." It is clear that Endgame concludes the overarching story of the Infinity Stones and, probably, some of the original cast. Whether Marvel wants to lump Far From Home in with it or not doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't think it matters a great deal whether Spider-Man is in "phase three" or "phase four." It is clear that Endgame concludes the overarching story of the Infinity Stones and, probably, some of the original cast. Whether Marvel wants to lump Far From Home in with it or not doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me.

I don’t think iT matters either but posting that info as a spoiler in the topic about that movie is kind of oxymoronic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think it needed a spoiler tag. Where Marvel categorizes Far From Home says absolutely nothing about the plot of the film. Had it been me posting it, I would not have used a spoiler tag, so I'm not sure why Gordon felt like it did. But there's also nothing in the post that needs to be removed in my opinion. A moderator is welcome to decide, of course. But this whole line of discussion is already more than this "news" is worth.

I've already typed all of this out, so I'm going to submit the post, but I'm out now until there's some other news to discuss.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Gordon, I hope it doesn't sound like we were ganging up on you; I can't speak for Tony, but that was certainly not my intention at all.

If Marvel wants to classify Spider-Man as part of Phase Three vs. Phase Four, that's certainly information worth sharing and I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. But the biggest difference that it would seem to make is whether it would eventually end up in a hypothetical box set with the Phase Three films or the Phase Four films. It doesn't seem to actually impact the film at all, which is why I was surprised you used a spoiler tag for it is all.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Gordon, I hope it doesn't sound like we were ganging up on you; I can't speak for Tony, but that was certainly not my intention at all.

If Marvel wants to classify Spider-Man as part of Phase Three vs. Phase Four, that's certainly information worth sharing and I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. But the biggest difference that it would seem to make is whether it would eventually end up in a hypothetical box set with the Phase Three films or the Phase Four films. It doesn't seem to actually impact the film at all, which is why I was surprised you used a spoiler tag for it is all.

Oh for sure me too.
Not my intention at all.

No worries, Jake and Tony. With the entire world sitting on pins and needles regarding next weekend's epic release, I just didn't want to cause anyone to feel like anything regarding the MCU was being spoiled. I admit I probably went overboard by posting that information in three different threads, but it seemed like the news fit in all three places. In any case, I probably erred on the side of "overexcited caution." Really will be nice in a couple of weeks to not feel so uncomfortable posting about anything related to these movies. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We've discussed over in the Endgame thread whether Endgame will have any post-credits scenes, and my answer was that I think one will tease Far From Home. Disney will do this as a courtesy to Sony, and because they still want a MCU film to do well even if they're not distributing it, since the MCU is their brand.

It occurred to me that the more interesting question is what Far From Home's scenes will be. Ragnarok was the next MCU film up after Homecoming, but Homecoming didn't tease it. This is probably because Sony doesn't have an incentive to promote Disney's film. Homecoming had the sequel tease with Keaton in prison in the middle of the credits, and the post-credits one was the Captain America patience video.

If we assume that Sony will once again not tee up the next MCU film (which we don't even officially know what that is), then the post-credits scene will have to serve a different function. Either they'll drop a tease for a third MCU Spider-Man film, or it will be a joke again, or both.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Has it been confirmed that Laura Harrier is in Far From Home? I heard that Keaton might be, but nothing about her. I hope so. I really liked her in the first one and felt she didn't have as much agency as she should have, so bringing her back for the sequel could remedy that.
Technically the only cast members officially confirmed by Sony Pictures are: Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, JB Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Martin Starr, with Marisa Tomei and Jake Gyllenhaal.

However, the teaser trailer revealed that Hemky Madera is back as Mr. Delmar, Angourie Rice is back as Betty Brant, and Tony Revolori is back as Flash Thompson.

Deadline has reported that Michael Keaton and Laura Harrier both appear. They have a pretty good track record on these things, and they broke the news about Smoove's casting before it was announced.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Adam Lenhardt: Good move answering this post in the Far From Home thread rather than the Endgame one.

That's great to hear. Somehow I must have missed the Deadline article about Harrier, but I'm glad she'll be back.

I think Peter owed her an explanation in Homecoming and should have owned up to his part in her dad's arrest and the crumbling of her life. It felt very weird to me that a character for whom responsibility is one of the cornerstone themes really didn't take responsibility for how he treated his crush. They can now make that issue better in Far From Home. I hope they take that chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks