1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order Spider-Man: Far From Home (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Message #21 of 32 Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Correct. Spider-Man Homecoming was the only one of the last eleven MCU movies that did not have any alternating aspect or expanded IMAX ratio at all.
    So my question I suppose is who will make the decision on whether it does. Will it be Sony's decision or will it be Marvel Studios?
    We know that Marvel Studios through Disney has not released a single movie with an alternating aspect ratio or the expanded IMAX ratio. Therefore if it's their decision it's a foregone conclusion that they won't. If it's Sony's decision then maybe we have a shot. The announcement should be within a couple of weeks. But at least we know Sony has done a better job with their Atmos soundtracks than Disney has

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Sony. Sony pays for the Spider-Man solo movies and they are responsible for marketing and distributing them. Marvel Studios produces them for Sony, but Sony owns it, so I think it's clear that they are in charge of how to release it.

Camper likes this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

That is horrifying.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The only discs I've ever noticed that include the IMAX ratio are some Marvel 3D's from U
    Some of the Marvel 3D's released in UK have had the changing ratio. GOTG is one. The recent release of Captain Marvel is another.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s not quite true. The 3D discs of every Marvel film with an IMAX component preserve that element, except for Infinity War and, presumably, Endgame. And up until the last few releases, they were only shown in IMAX 3D (there did not used to be IMAX 2D versions of Marvel 3D films - that’s relatively new) so keeping the imax ratio exclusive to the 3D disc struck me as the appropriate choice.

6. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Of course you guys are correct. I wasn't specific I should have said they hadn't released any UHD 4K discs with alternating aspect ratio.
    They have released quite a number in the Bluray 3D versions.
    I saw the Spider-Man homecoming IMAX version at a true IMAX theater in Fort Lauderdale in 2D.
    So it's not as if the IMAX alternating aspect version of the movie was only shown in 3D it was in fact shown in both.
    And it was my My Hope and belief that Sony would have the final say and how the movie is released.

7. Message #27 of 32 Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Good news: I was browsing Best Buy again and noticed that the artwork I posted in post #13 is not for the regular release as I thought, but actually for their exclusive steelbook. I thought the whole point of steelbooks is that they're supposed to look ascetically pleasing, which as Adam noted, this does not.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider-man-far-from-home-steelbookdigital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy-2019/6359816.p?skuId=6359816

Target's website has the following images up for the standard releases:

Far From Home artwork. Far From Home Blu art.

These aren't very good either -- I'm really not a fan of the big heads -- but if they're going to do that, at least this is less busy and all over the place than the steelbook. Personally, I would just enlarge the bottom picture of Spider-Man and Mysterio against the London background under the title and make that the entire cover. But oh well. This is acceptable.

Also, how much money do we think Sony paid that critic to reference Endgame in his quote so they could put that on the box?

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Win-win. It's not the main artwork, and its ugliness saves me 5+ dollars.

dpippel and Jake Lipson like this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Personally, I have not been interested in steelbooks for the Marvel titles at all because if I were, I would have a compulsion to obtain steelbooks for all of them since they are a set shelved together. I get the appeal when they are well-designed and have several steelbooks of standalone movies, but I really don't want to worry about them for ongoing series. It's much easier to just get the standard keepcase version for all of the MCU titles than worry about retailer exclusives that may or may not match up with each other.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I love me a good Steelbook, but the problem I've had lately with the ones from Best Buy is that the discs aren't placed securely in the spindles. So sometimes they'll be rattling around loose, and sometimes they'll get a little scratched up because they slide a little bit and the double-stack design scrapes them.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Honestly, unless it is something really, really important to me, I usually don't seek out the steelbooks anymore. I used to be a big fan of them, but then it became harder and harder to get them, in combination with the surcharges for them which they didn't used to have. So I have become more okay with turning them down in most cases. The last one I sprang for (at a store an hour away from here because our regular one sold out too quickly) was for The Little Mermaid back in February. I will also try to get the one for the original Aladdin in September, because that's my favorite movie of all time, but otherwise I am good.

To bring this back specifically to Far From Home, I would think Sony will announce the home release soon. I've heard October 1 mentioned as a rumored date for it. If true, that almost surely means the digital release will be mid-September as they're normally earlier. Based on estimates, the movie is falling out of the domestic top ten this weekend and is clearly winding down its run. So the announcement can't be too far off.

Obviously, I don't expect to be able to influence what the disc contains, but I really hope there is audio commentary this time. I was disappointed that Homecoming did not have that, and I thought Far From Home was better than Homecoming (which I also liked very much) on every level. I'd love to hear the filmmakers talk meaningfully about how they put this together.

12. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    My pre-order from Amazon.de lists the 3D release as November 25th.