Spider-Man DVD Details Revealed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lone Wolf, May 30, 2002.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

Okay, a couple of points first.

I manage a video library here in New Zealand and these details are straight from Columbia themselves pertaining to the local (Region 4) release, but I figure that the features will be pretty much the same worldwide and that this is news of interest to the forum at large.

Secondly, some details are not mentioned, ie sound formats, aspect ratios and details related to trailers, but all that will be revealed in time. In the meantime I reprint word for word the details as I have received them...

- 2 Disc Set.

Disc One.

-The Feature SPIDER-MAN.

- 1st Time Ever on DVD!!! Set top Prologue Comic Book: 4 video pages of pre-movie story (pages will prompt viewer to watch the film and reveal an untold Spidey tale). Check out the Marvel website for an example. Basically, it's an interactive comic book - you click on the frame and it pops up with animation and dialogue - very, very cool!

- Audio/Video Commentary. Sam Raimi, Willem Dafoe, Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst (with branching visual selects from film), Spider Sense "White Rabbit" - Spider-Man head comes on screen and 'tingles' - when clicked it allows the viewer to watch video of the audio commentary being created.

- Audio Commentary. Special Effects Manager John Dykstra and his Imageworks crew.

- Tobey Maguire Multiple Screen Tests. With intros by Tobey and Sam Raimi.

- Blooper Reel.

- Storyboard Process Workshop.

- Alternative Music Workshop for Opening Sequence.

- Music Videos.

- DVD ROM Content.

- Weblinks.

Disc Two.

- 9 Featurettes that explore the making of Spider-Man.

- Spider-Man 101 Documentary. A comprehensive look at the history of Spider-Man. "The Loves of Peter Parker Featurette" - A look at all the women in his life throughout the years.

- A Conversation with Stan Lee. "An appreciation: What Spider-Man means to me." Hosted by comic legend Stan Lee with artists, writers and actors. Link out artist portfolios from this piece.

- The Art of Spider-Man. To include morphs of the Spider-Man and the Green Goblin comic book characters through time. Artists from Ditko to Romita Jr.

- Comic to Screen Comparisons (with Angles).

- Contest of Champions: Spider-Man Trivia Game.

- Animated Character Files: Rogue Gallery.

- Storyboard to Film Comparisons (with Angles).

- Easter Eggs.

Release date is listed as 7 November, 2002.

Johnny B.

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Excellent, EXCELLENT extras!! [​IMG][​IMG] Seems like Raimi and Co. are determined to give Lucas a run for his money not only at the box office, but on DVD production values, as well.
    Can't wait!

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Great feature list! I'm looking forward to it. I'll be happy just to have the film, but it sounds like there are some excellent bonuses.

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

AWESOME!

5. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Sounds like a great DVD, but I just have to comment on a pet peeve of mine when it comes to Special Features. I really hate the "Follow The White Rabbit" special feature, but columbia has taken it to a new level with their Dogma: SE and now Spider Man commentaries. You have to push the enter key during select scenes while watching the commentary to show the video of the commentary being recorded. Why isn't this a 1 time On/Off option? Is there ever an instance where you want to see the video on 1 part and not another? It really annoyed me while watching Dogma to have to constantly press enter on my remote and now I see I'm going to face the same thing here. [​IMG]
    Whew! I feel much better now that I've gotten that off my chest. [​IMG]
    Gregory

6. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

What no deleted scenes?!?

Sounds like a great set. I was hoping that The "Spidermania" special from E! would have been on it, but it looks like all the features on this set will have all that, and then some. Can't wait.

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Gregory, I think you'd appreciate how this is handled on Disney's Atlantis SE. You can select Audio Commentary, or Video commentary. The difference in them is with the video commentary, they pause to indroduce making of clips, and other interesting information. One time selection, and completely guided from there. I'd love to see other companies pursue this.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Awesome! I was expecting another Grinch/Harry Potter kiddie release... so this news makes my day!

9. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

No Bruce Campbell on the commentary? NO SALE!

j/k, I'm all over this. Although "White Rabbit" stuff bugs me too.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds pretty neat! I don't care much for video commentaries - I think they're a waste of space - but other than that, I have no problems with it.

As for deleted scenes, ARE there any?

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Great, Dave, Make me buy 2 versions [​IMG]. As if I don't get enough flack now over Lord of the Rings, and various other dual versions I have or plan to buy. :>

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I also wanted deleted scenes and I also hate the white rabbit things, but this does look like a really swell package. One destined for Best Buy has my name written on the shrink wrap.

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

What, no Kirsten Dunst Photo Gallery as part of the extras? [​IMG]
    But seriously, this sounds like an awesome release. A must-have!

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    thanks for the info.. I hope they add the WTC trailer on the dvd!

JACOB

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There is at least 1 deleted scene shot for the DVD

At the wrestling signup table, a guy is dressed as Xena trying to sign up. Supposed to be hilarious

Probably be an Easter Egg

Otherwise, thumbs up! BIG kudos for the gag reel!

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

17. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    spider-man did the impossible.. it beat episode 2.. no other movie had done that.. probably why there is so much comparasion. its going to be talked about alot of this comes true.. that spider-man did indeed beat episode 2.

JACOB

I look forward to the dvd..

18. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

not only did Spidey beat Ep2 at the box office but at the quality of the film. Story and entertainment.!!

19. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

I'm going to go on record and say that whatever extra stuff they put in this set is going to be looked at two weeks after I buy it, the reason being that I will be watching the movie repeatedly 'til my eyes go dry. [​IMG]
    But I do have a (admittedly premature) gripe; Featurettes. I'm spoiled when it comes to "making of" content. I crave for solid interviews and not the fluffy EPK material where the production aspect is glossed over. I want to see the nitty-gritty and not a posed interview. I'm a film grad, I like film, I want to see how they're made. Call me a lunatic.
    There's been plenty of good examples on other discs ("Butch and Sundance" comes to mind), going back to laser disc. But enter "Phantom Menace", and I'm still in awe with "The Beginning" - over an hour of material. No fluff, no reduced running time because of contracts, just solid info. Glorious. Then there's "Matrix Revisited", a brilliant idea of having a "making of" film about a film on a separate disc.
    So when I hear "featurettes", I cringe. My hope is that somewhere down the road they will take as much B-roll footage they can find and fashion a "making of" out of it. The film deserves it, as do most.
    Okay, end of rant. Bring on the disc!
    -g