What's new

Spider-Man DVD and a sad story (1 Viewer)

D

DAN NEIR

I had to tell this story, Today I went to the local stores in my area because they usually get dvds early. I went to 3 stores. The 1st had the Spidey dvd BUT in fullscreen only!! They said they get more requests for fullscreen than wide. I explained to them why widescreen was better and they seemed to understand, the guy even asked about widescreen tvs. At the 2nd store I went to the guy seemed annoyed that I didn't want a fullscreen copy and said all his customers buy fullscreen. I left that store quickly. The final store, which is the one I go to the most, had widescreen copies and I was able to get Spider-Man and the Sum of All Fears. By the way for those that don't know, the cover art on the fullscreen and widescreen Spideys are different. The fullscreen has Spidey swinging on his web and the widescreen has him going up the wall. It's so sad that so many people are happy with fullscreen only.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think if the studios just released widescreen DVDs, people would eventually get used to it, and stop complaining. Of course, for this to really work, they'd also have to stop releasing anything new on VHS as well. Lets start a petition!! ;)
Seriously though, I do wish more people could be educated on the benefits and purpose of widescreen. But I guess as long as I can get my discs in widescreen, I really dont mind if studios want to release in pan and scan as well... I just hope it doesnt get to the point where widescreen DVDs are as hard to find as widescreen VHS tapes were/are.
Brian

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think if the studios just released widescreen DVDs, people would eventually get used to it, and stop complaining.
that is soo true and i was about to post the same thing. it has been something i have said many times in the past whenever a post like this comes up.
if only widescreen was available then what? will people stop buying dvd's? i seriuously doubt it.

i doubt it. they will still buy all their faverite movies anyway and won't complain because all they have to buy is widescreen.

one choice,one option for all.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Gee, Dan, what's the problem here? Just turn in the 2 "offending" stores with fullscreen only for breaking street date by 2 weeks.

It's a good way to weed them out.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That is very true.
The Matrix being widescreen-only on DVD didn't stop it from selling millions of copies. Neither did several other movies on DVD only in widescreen. :)
Pan & Scan DVD needs to be weened off.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That's right! Weren't Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, and Fast & the Furious hot sellers? They were all widescreen only!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that is my point exactly. full frame movies are so unnecessary it's ridiculous.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
It has been my experience that uninformed viewers tend to complain about 2.35:1 more than 1.85:1
Because to the undiscriminating viewer it appears he is losing major picture information to thick black bars on his 4:3 TV. Of course we know he is *gaining* picture, but at the expense of size.

The trick is to get the uninformed viewer to start focusing on what is inside the frame of the picture instead of on the black bars outside. Only then does the light bulb go on, and then only if they care. Next time somebody complains about the black bars ask him why he's watching them and not the picture.

Unfortunately many people start out with the uneducated position that black bars are bad, and then are too stubborn or proud to admit that they may have been wrong when the purpose of letterboxing is explained to them.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Not to be off topic, but are you the Dan Neir from NY radio (i think Q104, please correct me if i'm wrong)?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Bingo Seth!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Dan,
you have no idea the position of power you are in here my friend!
If it were me, NASA wouldn't be able to time how fast i'd turn those fullscreen-only selling suckers in for breaking the street date! Especially if one of those stores rymes with 'All-Fart'. Your holding all the cards Dan, it only takes a phone call.
In the name of OAR, vengeance is yours man, take it! :)

D

DAN NEIR

I didn't know there was a radio guy w/ my name. I won't rat on the stores because all 3 stores are very close to each other and if 2 get closed down they just might all get closed down, including the one w/ the widescreen Spideys. That store is also getting me episode 2 by the end of the month. At least I was able to educate one of the store owners at the other places. I have to say I am amazed at some of the stuff they have in these stores. One store in particular has episodes 4-6 of Star Wars on dvd for $59.99.
On a different note, I just finished watching Spider-Man and I have to say I enjoyed it more than I did in the movies. The cgi didn't really bother me as much as I remembered and I liked the overall picture and sound on this disc. I was a little disappointed to not find the Hero music video on the disc. I'll have to check out Sum of All Fears tomorrow.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
They will finally learn their lesson when 16x9 TV's become the standard. They will throw in their Fullscreen DVD's and complain about those black bars on the sides. Then they will have to purchase the DVD's again in widescreen.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I think if the studios just released widescreen DVDs, people would eventually get used to it, and stop complaining.
Actually, that theory was put into practice. And look what happened: Phone surveys with people bitching about black bars. That led to "market research" with studios deciding to put both product on the market. Eh, as long as the films I like are on DVD in their proper aspect ratio, I'm fine and dandy with it. Besides, let the ignorant and uncaring folks have their full-screen (I didn't say idiot because it's all a matter of preference). I remember when it was great to walk into the widescreen VHS aisle and have the movies all to myself.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
So you guys would seriously consider turning in stores that benefit consumers by breaking street date--just because they meet the demand of their normal consumers? I believe I frequent the same stores as Dan does and am very appreciative of their offerings. I didn't know that they would be getting Attack Of The Clones that early!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Are you sure they are on DVD or are they on VCD? If they are on DVD, they're bootlegs and that store might not be around long enough to tell anyone about it if they are found out.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Michael,
I would in a heartbeat, especially if they gave me attitude like Dan said he encountered in one of them. I really don't see how it's hurting the customers any, they'll just have to wait until the street date to get said dvd that's all. I do that every week. Also most people don't even know when a particular dvd is supposed to be released, so they wouldn't even notice that the store is no longer putting dvd's out early. It's the old saying: what they don't know won't hurt em. The only one's who would notice would be people like us who keep up with release dates.
Call me inconsiderate if you like, but when a chance arises to hurt those stores that only sell fullscreen editions when widescreen editions are readily available, I would not hesitate to capitalize. That's just me though. Fortunatly no stores in my area, that I know of anyway, breaks street dates.
I know, I have a mean streak don't I? :)
What is the fine for stores that break street dates anyway? Just curious.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Well-when I inquired at one store in Manhattan(about them only having the fullscreen), they told me that they could not get the widescreen version until early next week. I know that at least one other place did have the widescreen version...but they may get them from other distributors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks