What's new

Spider-Man Deluxe Edition & Spider-Man Superbit (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm definitely going to give my copy some more scrutiny, because I did not initially notice these improvements, but they are obviously there. Thanks for the link to the screenshots!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No doubt they picked the MJ shot comparision because of the compression challenges presented by the rain and the darkness. ;)

Anyway, between the improved PQ and the free movie pass, I might as well upgrade.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just watched the Superbit tonight...

Thoughts:
The video was beautiful. Though a bit grainy in the background. I don't have the regular version to compare to, but it was really good looking. Some noticeable EE in some scenes however...

The audio... though the DTS was a good improvement over the first DD release, it was still a letdown. The surrounds WERE more actively used, BUT... the LFE track was sub-par for such an action packed explosive movie. Though an improvement, not as much as I'd liked.

ohwell, i didnt buy the first one anyway, so at least im not double dipping.

Now i gotta find somebody with the origial version i can borrow so i can do some bjoren-roy-esque comparisons :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
With all the talk over grain and DTS' clarity, I'm suprised no one has mentioned my pet peeve of the original release: the annoying shimmer during some scenes. When the Green Goblin first appears, IIRC, the buildings have a distracing wave to them. It's present during other scenes, but that one stuck out the most to me.

Does the Superbit resolve this issue?

-paul

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After checking out the screenshots at IGN it looks to me as if there's actually *less* detail in some aspects of the Superbit transfer due to pumped up contrast and/or black levels. Look at the scene of Spidey in the burning apartment. There's more detail visible in the webbing on his costume and in the objects surrounded by flames to his right in the frame from the original transfer. In the other two screenshots I don't see more DETAIL, just a slightly brighter frame that actually obscures some of the detail that shows up just fine in the original. The color timing appears to be slightly different between the two transfers as well.

If these screenshots are an accurate representation of the two releases then I don't see the Superbit as an improvement. Different? Yes. Better? No.

George_fsf

Agent
yesterday at the movies I saw a trailer for spiderman 2, it was longer than the first one that came out. Does anyone knows if this trailer is on any dvd?

I know that the spiderman deluxe dvd has the short trailer for spiderman 2

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
NickSo,
Just curious...what type of system do you have?(TV size, receiver, speakers ,etc)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, so i just bought the 3-disc thinking the world trade center trailer would be on the new disc, but it's not. what a let down. i should've went with the superbit.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I broke down and bought the SuperBit yesterday so I was able to do a comparison between it and the regular version last night. There is definitely an improvement in the SuperBit picture. It looks sharper and the colors seem to be rendered better on this disc. As far as the DTS track goes, I think it's better than the DD(especially in the rear channels), but the LFE track is still pretty weak which is a major disappointment. I was hoping for tighter bass with the DTS track, but I guess whoever did the sound design for this flick didn't want a powerful LFE track. Overall, I'm happy with the SuperBit, though, because I think it does improve on the original's picture and sound quality. :emoji_thumbsup:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Not really, the original poster opened up the deluxe edition, got the old sealed 2-disc out of it and returned it for store credit towards the SuperBit. Pretty simple.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
I already have the 2 disk version, so I bidded on the bonus disc on eBay for $8 and win the auction!

I think it's a good way to have it if your a big fan of special features! :emoji_thumbsup:

jeff durborow

Auditioning
i checked this out a little last night. I am using a front projector with a 96inch screen. I am huge Spiderman fan i could watch this movie over and over. I found the original release to be a bit soft the Superbit version did tend to be a bit sharper and had less video noise. I did use the movie voucher to purchase a ticket for a special June 29th midnite viewing without any questions.
George above asked about the spiderman 2 trailer, it can be found on the Big Phish dvd. I also got to see it in High definition on HD net it was awesome.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i saw the spidey 2 trailer in Big Fish too... absolutely amazing with my X1 and LG Upconverting DVD player... i felt like i was actually in a theater, sitting through the previews :D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
My wife and I were out Friday night and went over to Best Buy to look around, and I pointed out to her the two "new" Spider-Man releases, and she and I both agreed that it's a waste of time for Columbia Tri-Star to pull this stunt. If they had marketed the third bonus disc on its own, I'd have gotten it in a heartbeat. I'm gonna do like Patrick and check out the eBay auctions to pick up the bonus disc. Not going to waste my time triple-dipping just to get a few more trinkets.

6/8 Update: Sure enough, I went on eBay and found it, and got it, for only $5! :)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I ordered the SB, but really wish they would have made it a SuperBit Deluxe and included the 3rd disc from the Deluxe Edition.

Chris

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Big Question here:

"Theatrical Teaser Trailer (...) of Spider-man" The famous Spider-Man "Twin Tower" teaser is finally on DVD? Can you confirm this? Thanks a lot!

If Not... Do you know if a DVD movie have this teaser in the Sneak Peak section, before the 9/11 events?

My god, this teaser was really good, I can't understand why they don't add it... Why try to forget the reality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks