What's new

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think it can be considered MCU.
Clearly though one of the other Multiverse versions in the MCU.

If I'd known going into it that it was only half the story, I still would have been irked but I wouldn't have felt as extorted as I did this afternoon. I also think they would have been wise to include the release date in the title card announcing Beyond the Spider-Verse, so audiences would know they wouldn't have to wait another five years for the next one.

It was mentioned numerous time the last year here and when this movie was first announced as being 2 parts of one story.
Just simply being a member of this board specifically the movie area here and this specific thread makes it surprising to me that anyone in here didn’t know before seeing the movie. Oh well.
And I choose not to believe that the Venom and Morbius films are connected to the MCU.

After watching the movie today it think it made clear that these Spider-verse movies are part of the overall MCU but as an alternate universe addition.
Saying Venom isn’t connected was also debunked for lack of a better term during the Canon explanation in this movie. All the Spider people are connected by canon events including all of them having a Venom.
The biggest canon event seems to be a captain always dying in the life of a Spider person.

Anyway, this is a great movie.
Had all the necessary Spider-Man level humor.
Lots of surprise things popping up throughout.

My favorite surprise being…The very short appearance by Animated Spider-man ‘67

This was also a bit of a dark movie.
Lots of sense of dread.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Dimensions seen or referenced in this movie:
  • Earth-42, home to the spider that bit Miles. Because of the events of Into the Spider-Verse, this universe doesn't have a Spider-Man, and the result is downright dystopian.
  • Earth-65, home to Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman
  • Earth-94, home to Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider
  • Earth-138, home to Hobie Brown/Spider-Punk
  • Earth-404, home to Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman
  • Earth-616, home to Peter B. Parker/Spider-Man
  • Earth-688, home to the live action Mrs. Chen, briefly visited by the Spot
  • Earth-835, home to Malala Windsor/Spider-UK
  • Earth-928, home to the Spider-Society HQ in Nueva York and Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099
  • Earth-1048, home to the PlayStation Spider-Man
  • Earth-1610, home to Miles Morales/Spider-Man; as well as the deceased blonde Peter Parker/Spider-Man
  • Earth-14512, home to Peni Parker/SP//dr
  • Earth-22191, home to Margo Kess/Spider-Byte
  • Earth-50101, home to the city of Mumbattan and Pavitr Prabhakar/Spider-Man India
  • Earth-96283, home to the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man
  • Earth-131222, home to Lego Spider-Man
  • Earth-199999, the live action Marvel Cinematic Universe
Some of these numbering assignments conflict with what we've seen in the comics and the MCU, so the numbering in this movie should be taken as the Spider-Society's subjective numbering of the universes rather than some universal constant.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's a very comprehensive and valuable list, but it's full of spoilers for anyone who hasn't yet seen the movie. I wouldn't come in here if I hadn't already seen the movie, but I know some others have chosen to do so.

JoeStemme

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joseph
Movie Theater Alert!
If you want to see SpiderVerse in an XD type Premium screen, better act quick. Seems like all such screens are being given over to Transformer 7 starting Thursday night!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have problems with dialogue intelligibility? I didn't but I have seen reports elsewhere of this issue. I saw this movie twice, once in Regal RPX and one standard. Both theaters would have used the standard 5.1/7.1 mix.

Some cases where sound problems have been noticed, in both videos near the beginning of the video. Spoilers in the videos so don't watch if you haven't seen the film.

Well, would you look at that…

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't have this problem personally, but I heard enough people did that it is definitely good for Sony to have addressed it.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, on my 2nd viewing I could definitely tell that Gwen’s voice at the start was low and competing with the music. While I could make out what she said this time because I was specifically listening, I can imagine that when you are looking at the visuals and trying to follow the story while taking in the music as well (like on my first viewing), then her low voice could certainly be hard to hear.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dimensions seen or referenced in this movie:
  • Earth-42, home to the spider that bit Miles. Because of the events of Into the Spider-Verse, this universe doesn't have a Spider-Man, and the result is downright dystopian.
  • Earth-65, home to Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman
  • Earth-94, home to Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider
  • Earth-138, home to Hobie Brown/Spider-Punk
  • Earth-404, home to Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman
  • Earth-616, home to Peter B. Parker/Spider-Man
  • Earth-688, home to the live action Mrs. Chen, briefly visited by the Spot
  • Earth-835, home to Malala Windsor/Spider-UK
  • Earth-928, home to the Spider-Society HQ in Nueva York and Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099
  • Earth-1048, home to the PlayStation Spider-Man
  • Earth-1610, home to Miles Morales/Spider-Man; as well as the deceased blonde Peter Parker/Spider-Man
  • Earth-14512, home to Peni Parker/SP//dr
  • Earth-22191, home to Margo Kess/Spider-Byte
  • Earth-50101, home to the city of Mumbattan and Pavitr Prabhakar/Spider-Man India
  • Earth-96283, home to the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man
  • Earth-131222, home to Lego Spider-Man
  • Earth-199999, the live action Marvel Cinematic Universe
Some of these numbering assignments conflict with what we've seen in the comics and the MCU, so the numbering in this movie should be taken as the Spider-Society's subjective numbering of the universes rather than some universal constant.

Where is this list from?

616 is generally considered the comic book world and I’m not sure Peter B Parker is supposed to be the same as the comic book version.

I’ve heard on a podcast that some are calling it 616-B

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Where is this list from?
I pieced it together from what I saw on screen in the two movies, what I read in news articles, and what I saw in press materials.

616 is generally considered the comic book world and I’m not sure Peter B Parker is supposed to be the same as the comic book version.
That's why I said that this should be considered the Spider-Society's numbering of universes and not some definitive authoritative numbering. It's definitely not the same numbering used by Marvel Comics and it's definitely not the same numbering used in the MCU.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow. That was a visual experience unlike anything else. The movie is terrific, the action is fluid (even manic at times) but it still has its share of quieter character moments. Great voice cast too. I enjoyed this a lot, and will look forward to the next one.

All that said, I’m really tired of multiverse stories. I know the MCU still has a long way to go with the concept, and Flash comes out Friday too. But enough with the multiverse. It’s a concept that’s overstayed its welcome.

For the record, I knew it was part one of two, so that didn’t bother me. But my wife and kids didn’t know and they were struck by the abrupt ending.

Also, I had one of the worst theater experiences ever today. The sound was absolutely awful. I’m sure I missed more than 50% of the dialogue and I kept relishing scenes where the words were on the screen. A lot has been written about how bad sound mixes are these days, but this also had to be the theater’s fault. All I have near me are AMCs, and they’re literally crumbling. The seats are nice but the buildings feel like a ghost town. It’s sad. I will watch this on disc as soon as it comes, with the subtitles.

Can someone please make a movie that can be shown on less-than-state-of-the-art equipment and still be comprehensible to the audience?

Last edited:

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I thought about "Back to the Future 2" in this circumstance as well.

In that case, I knew there's be a "BTTF3" coming out soon, but I was not prepared for "BTTF2" to end with a cliffhanger.

I assumed they'd be separate stories.

I was hopping mad when "BTTF2" literally ended with a trailer!
They were separate stories. The plot of BTTF2 was completely wrapped up by the end of that movie. I found it very bizarre that people in the theatre were groaning when TO BE CONTINUED came on the screen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The plot of BTTF2 was completely wrapped up by the end of that movie.

That depends on what you're talking about. Marty and Doc had successfully restored the 1985 that they knew. But Marty was still stuck in 1955 and Doc in 1885. The characters did not end the movie where they intended to be after completing the mission. Therefore, the whole journey isn't done at the end of Part II. That's why Part III exists.

Similarly, here, Miles and Gwen have both undergone tremendous character growth that can be tracked over the course of this individual film. I think that is why I still find it so satisfying as a single piece of a larger story. However, it definitely ends on a cliffhanger because the situation that Miles is dealing with in the movie is not resolved, and we don't know how he will resolve it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
They were separate stories. The plot of BTTF2 was completely wrapped up by the end of that movie. I found it very bizarre that people in the theatre were groaning when TO BE CONTINUED came on the screen.

The ending of "2" couldn't have been more cliffhangery if it tried.

Sure, you can argue "2" wrapped up its particular story, but it still left us dangling.

The 1st movie wrapped up neatly - unless you wanna argue the ending teaser about problems with Marty's kids in the future is a cliffhanger.

I don't see it as such and I don't think anyone in 1985 viewed it that way. Heck, it was intended as a joke by the filmmakers.

When a movie ends with the fate of the characters wholly undecided and then shows a trailer... yeah, that's not really "wrapped up".

I - and obviously others - expected "2" and "3" to offer wholly separate tales.

It's common now to pair movies in the way "2" and "3" did, but we weren't used to that in 1989.

Thus: groans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks