What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As much as Venom is no favorite character of mine, I think it's more because the character is limited and not terribly interesting as a recurring comic-book villain. For a movie or two, he's a fine adversery.

And I think he's more well known than you might imagine; a version has appeared in the fairly popular "Ultimate Spider-Man" book, and the symbiote also showed up in the very popular animated series Fox ran during the 90s. Certainly, after Green Goblin and Doc Ock, he's next on the list of Spidey's most popular/well-known foes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
JoSan,
GREAT POSTS!!

I especially liked the first paragraph of post #80 :)(Especially the last sentence)

"a version has appeared in the fairly popular "Ultimate Spider-Man" book, and the symbiote also showed up in the very popular animated series Fox ran during the 90s."

Unfortunately I agree with what ur saying. In fact I work with 3 people who watched the X-Men(man did I HATE that early 90s cartoon),Spiderman, etc cartoons and never read a single comic book.

Therye also recreating the characters fo the newer generations.My G/Fs son has a how to draw book and I couldnt belive the way some of the characters looked. Since when is Doc Ock covered in armor with big muscles??

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
Why all the hate for Venom? He's always been a favorite of mine. The only problem was, Marvel kept bringing him back just to sell more comics. It was overkill, but Venom was hugely popular. For me, the introduction of Carnage was the last straw. Venom in a Spidey movie won't happen though, for such a violent villain would need a R classification and that shuts out the majority of the target audience right there.

With the way SM2 ended, one would assume the Green Goblin will return in SM3. This sets up a deliciously ripe scenario: (spoilers! Harry finds out that the man he blames for the death of his father is in fact his best friend, who also is now cosy with his ex-girlfriend). With such high drama, who needs more costumed freaks?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Venom was an outgrowth of all the Secret Wars nonsense, which was the point i lost interest as a comic book fan.
it just seemed more and more like comics were becoming this over produced, over cross-tied-in cash grab by the publishers, and SW just looked like out and out hack work to me.
always hated the black suit, even when it was just a suit.

also all the Carnage/Venom stuff reminds me of the era when 'comic book fans' were ruining the hobby.
one of the lowest points ever for the hobby was when Marvel started releasing sealed, pre-bagged copies of Spider-man.
which meant it lost value if you actually read the thing.

absolutely despicable.
no wonder the biz fell into the gutter.

as far as villians for 3 goes, i like the suggestion of someone on another fourm of having kraven hunting the Lizard and Spidey trying to save him.
that would shake up the formula a bit, while still being able to use the "scientist gone wrong' element.
i also think the Black Cat could work now.
i don't really need to see any super-villian per se.
spidey could just go thru the whole film foiling garden variety criminals, as long as the action sequences are inventive and well staged.
to me, they aren't the sole reason i love 2 (although they do a big ways in improving on 1)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they don't do the hob-goblin thing, hated the power rangers style villain from SM1. I aggree they need to make this the 3rd and final film, and do it without hobgobilin. Harry could just decide that his dad was a dickhead and he aint going down that road.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Funny, I have the original Secret Wars series and I remember Spidey wearing the black suit, (which I always thought looked really cool by the way) and I don't remember it being the symbiote suit. Didn't some characters ask him about it in the beginning and it was just a suit. Like he just happened to make one that looked like the symbiote suit? Or was that another book? Anyway, I don't remember it being a symbiote suit in Secret Wars, but I haven't read the series since I was a little kid. I actually won the series in some sweepstakes. Must be at my parents' house somewhere.

The Lizard would have been cool, but again the scientist being transformed into an evil thing by a lab accident is getting old really fast. Even throwing multiple villains in to spice it up, they risk a Batman & Robin situation, or at least a painful reminder of a comic book movie that had not one, but two scientists transformed by lab accidents. Since they've gone two in a row, I say give the Lizard a cameo at best. Maybe have Spidey defeat him and wrap up that plot thread in the film's opening minutes. Like the opening to an Indiana Jones Film. As it's been said we need to see Spidey deals with heavy-hitters regularly, not just every couple years. It needs to be shown that his work has gotten harder and he has toughened as well. Or hold off on Lizard for Spidey 10.:)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
no, we definetly do not wanna see another decent man turned into a monster by mind controlling drugs, tentacles or whatever. Next villain has to be an asshole from the beginning.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously I've never read the comics by asking this so can someone please explain what this "symbiote" thing is everyone keeps mentioning in their posts? From context I have figured out it has to do with Venom but that is all I have been able to gather at this point. Thanks!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As a result of the Secret Wars crossover, Spider-Man got a new costume, a black job that at first everyone thought was just really advanced technology - it generated its own webbing, could change colors for camoflage, and enhance Peter's strength. That's the good news; the bad news was that it was in fact a sort of symbiotic alien that was messing with Parker's mind and he had a hell of a time getting it off, eventually having to call in Reed Richards.

When he finally did, it latched onto a reporter at the Daily Bugle, Eddie Brock, who was jealous of Parker. Eddie + symbiote = Venom.

If had ended there, it would have been fine. But the damn thing kept showing up, even though there really wasn't a whole heck of a lot you could do with it.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
an entirely forgettable storyline designed to re-energise the spiderman comic book franchise. They wont use it in the 3rd spiderman film, and rightly so.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Jason explained Venoms origins well, but I thought Id expand slightly. I was an avid reader of Spiderman throughout the mid 80s, and the for those who need the sum up on the Venom story line, as best I can remember it is this:

Spider-man and a whole gob of other super hero types are whisked into space by some aliens, where they are forced to do battle against eachother.

While there, Spider-man discovers an "alien symbiote". Its sort of a mass of black goo that becomes a suite for Spider-Man. As Jason perfectly pointed out, it

Upon returning to earth, Spider-Man briefly enjoys the new found enhancements he gets with the suite. Until he learns of it negatives. It controls him. It leaps onto him at its own discretion, and imposes its will upon him. Spidy senses it is also beginning to control him mentally. The final straw, during a key battle with (I think) The Vulture, Spidy is basically rendered useless by the suit.

He is finally able to rid himself of, and he buries it in the basement of an abandoned church.

Eddie Brock, a co-worker of Peter Parkers, feeling lost in life, especially because of his overwhelming jealosy of Spider-man. Goes to the church in a final fleeting moment to plee for help for anyone or anything that might hear him. The symbiote costume hears Eddie's cries and latches onto him. Because of Eddie's jealosy and psychologically fragile state, the symbiote suite manifests itself in unchecked form, taking all the rage and multiplying it exponentially. Venom is born.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Enter Harry, who feels bad for blaming Spider-Man for the death of his father and who also feels the need to redeem his father's name (even if it is only in his own mind) and so he dons the Green Goblin suit - perfecting the perfomance enhancer so it does not affect his mind - and saves Peter's life."

Didnt this happen in Amazing Spiderman around 1983-84? Harry was going a bit nuts and Hobby threw him over the edge.At the time he was married with a child. I remember Harry with the Goblin sack over his shoulder, and throwing pumpkin bombs during a fire(He was in plain clothes though, not the Goblin suit).

SarahG

Second Unit
I guess I'm ok with more than 3 Spidey's, but I just hope they don't overdue it. Too many is somtimes too much. But one thing they have going for them is that..well...so far so good.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
And then there's the spawn of Venom which bonds with a serial killer producing a far, far more despicable threat, (as one might imagine since it enhances what's in the host) Carnage.

In most stories, Spidey and Venom end up putting aside their differences (momentarily anyway) to fight Carnage. Spider-Man and Venom each view each other as the lesser of two evils. Very much as the X-Men heroes and villains often band together against a common foe.

I don't think the symbiote story-line is any more far-fetched than any other Spider-Man character.

It's more sci-fi than most of the other costumed weirdos Spidey takes on. I can see where the brain-eating might turn off a few though.:) And, then there's that whole demographic out there that accepts any superheroes or villains you throw out them, but don't like anything that has to do with aliens because "they're not real." I wonder how those people feel about Superman? Personally, I find it much more likely that an alien being would have special powers than would a human who was in some kind of freak accident. But to each his own.

I still can't figure out how Doc Ock's legs supported the weight of all that stuff his tentacles moved around when he wasn't standing on them. (At least I think there were a few moments he moved things while standing on his own two feet. Maybe I'm wrong.) You have to assume the metal is fused to his spine, but any time he's on his feet he'd be limited by the leg strength of an overweight human.:) Ahh, fantasy.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
In the movie, at least, Doc Ock is often shown using the lower two arms to support whatever the top two are holding. The moment when he's escaped from the hospital and he attacks the car comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks