What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I agree. The big problem is that, by imposing a limit now, declaring SM3 to be the final film, they may be forced to resolve the Harry Osbourn story without the Hobgoblin. Then, when they do make SM4, they've burnt their bridges, and that will be a story they cannot pursue. That is my worry.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think it's fine to wrap up certain loose ends just in case.

Make Spidey 3 the "last one" if it has to be, but leave the door open for more sequels.

I do think both Tobey and Kirsten Dunst (sounds like she wouldn't mind bowing out now even) will bow out after the 3rd one and who knows if by 2008 or whatever Raimi will still be interested in starting up a 4th installment.

I think the 4th film should start a new story arc, probably one with a different cast.

Box office wise though, Sony-Columbia/Marvel are never gonna stop at 3.

They may do something like shoot parts 4 and 5 together (the Venom/Symbiote suit sage, perhaps?).

I have to give props to Amy Pascal for thinking about the series' overall "legacy" as it were. Honestly, most producers would want to keep pumping these out, and generally that mentality leads to mediocrity down the line.

There's nothing worse than a once respected film franchise that stretches on past its creative peak, kind of like a star athlete that says in the game far too long, becoming a shadow of his former self rather than just retiring on top.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
It was obvious to me that the Lizard was being set up as a future villain as was JJJ's son. Tying up all the loose ends would ensure an awful lot of villains in the 3rd film. Please, no. Make a third with the Lizard and take a hiatus.

S2 was such a great movie - it would be a shame to end on a haphazard note with S3.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Just because you may have "set-up" someone, doesn't mean you have to use the character. I don't consider that a loose end.

Jason

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
But, the thing is, Sony may be getting tired of Marvel's antics and want to give them a little "pay back." Just speculation on my part, but I've a little dealing with Sony in the past.

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
I can see ending this run of the franchise after three working out extremely well.

First off it allows Maguire, Dunst and Raimi to move on to other things. Because as wonderful as it is to have the core creative team stay on board, eventually they'll get burnt out on the characters.

Secondly it will allow another viewpoint on the material later on down the road. If I remember correctly David Fincher was originally offered the directorial duties on SM1 (he turned it down because they wouldn't let him do his take on the Death of Gwen Stacey). But I can see him doing the first in a new series, based off of say, Kraven's Last Hunt or one of the Scorpion stories or Venom or any of the hundreds of good villians in the Spidey books. This would allow the studio to keep the franchise fresh and active.

So I could definitely get behind this idea.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it's the other way around - Fincher campaigned hard for it, because he wanted to do a fun, colorful PG-13 movie, but Sony was a little leery of his resume and, besides, everybody at Marvel was really excited about Sam Raimi.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Actually LOTR's record should tie-in nicely with what it looks like the Spider-man trilogy will be; a trio of story-connected movies.

This is probably a brilliant idea; it's like a "mini-franchise". A renewable franchise. Every 5-7 years, a trio of movies come out with the same creative teams. Then, after a few years 'down time' while they recast and get new folks onboard, another triology comes out to renew it. So we have the Rami Spider-man trilogy, and then they'll get another team (new actors, etc...) and do another set of flicks.

Hopefully they do it like this. Because shelving Spider-man is stupid. Not that they should crank crap out, but I believe there are dozens of movie-quality stories available for Spider-man to start in. Hopefully we get some more of those stories onto the big scree-n.

And the cross-character deal Fox and Son-y worked out is stupid. Nothing would be better for both movies (say Daredevil 2 and a new Spidey) than to have the heroes cameo in the other flick. Fans would love it, fan fans as well as mere movie fans. Why? It's just cool is all.

(ps, I don't post much the last year or so but when did we start with the stupid in-message hyper links to advertisers? Wow, that's beyond the pale).

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
Im pretty upset about this news..
spiderman for me was one of the best movies I've ever saw.
I liked part 2 also.
to hear some executive say audiences only want 1 more really upsets me, how does she know what we want?
I want them to continue making spider-man movies with the current cast as long as they can.
I hope someone at sony calls for ms. pascall's resignation.
sure some series jump the shark (go down hill)
but the current spider-man movies are so good..
that its suicide and a blow to fans to end it with just 1 more

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I really would be surprised if either Toby or Kirsten agreed to do a 4th film.

I think they'll have to recast for a 4th film no matter what.

I would like to see James Cameron finally direct a Spider-Man film, since he was supposed to do Spider-Man right after Terminator 2.

He wrote a rough outline which you can read online.

I don't think he'll be game though, post-Titanic it seems like he's pretty picky about what he chooses (to put it mildly).

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Theres no deal between Sonny and Fox. Its between Marvel and each of the companies. Since WB owns D.C. comics they can cross-over character properties if they wish, but Marvel sold each property to different studios to spread out the money and output of films-

(look at D.C.'s current line up. catwoman in 2004, batman in 2005, superman in 2006. While Marvel's had Blade in 1998, X-men in 2000, Blade 2 and Spider-man in 2002, Daredevil and X-Men 2 and The Hulk in 2003. The Punisher and Spider-Man 2 and Blade 3 in 2004, Elektra and Fantastic Four in 2005, Ghost Rider and X-Men 3 in 2006, and Spider-Man 3 in 2007. Not to mention the DOZENS of other movies they have in development including Ironaman and the Wolverine spin off.)

I think one of the Marvel sites lists what studio owns each property.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
An update on Spidy 3 ...courtesy of Sci-Fi Wire

Damn.. we still don't know that villain this time yet.

Raimi Writing Spidey 3

Sam Raimi told SCI FI Wire that he and his brother Ivan are still in the earliest stages of writing Spider-Man 3. "We've finished a 50-page document and now I'm working with my storyboard artist to work out some of the visuals," Raimi said in an interview while promoting the DVD release of Spider-Man 2. "And I'm about to start working with Alvin Sargent [who received the "Screenplay by" credit on Spider-Man 2] on the first draft of the screenplay."

Raimi noted that he's still toying around with different possibilities for a chief villain or villains to duke it out with Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire), a.k.a. Spider-Man, in the second sequel. "I actually haven't figured it out just yet," he said. "I'm trying to determine Peter Parker's journey as a human being, what it is that he'll be learning on this next adventure, as a kid growing up, what life lessons [he'll experience]. Once I know what that is, I'm going to try to develop obstacles in his path, like any dramatic writer would do. And out of those conflicts will come the drama. Either he'll be able to overcome these conflicts or he won't. But once I know his journey, and therefore the conflicts that are in his path, I'll choose that villain that best represents those conflicts. That's the way in which I've been approaching this, and I'm still not quite there in determining the villain." Spider-Man 2 arrives Nov. 30 on DVD, while Spider-Man 3 is set for release on May 4, 2007.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Well maybe that's not a bad idea.....I doubt it will happen considering that this is Hollywood we are talking about....but the theory is a reasonable one IMO when taking into account what happened to the Batman series.

Real Name
Anthony
I read a version of that article that said he was thinking about either the Goblin returning, Kraven the Hunter and/or The Vulture. I like the fact that he's sticking with the old-school villains. Going by what he's saying, he's almost duty-bound to have the Goblin back, which'd leave space for another villain. They've tried to jam two villains into both the movies but have wisely not crowded the movies till now. But given there'd be no need to give us a Goblin origin, it might just work this time. Personally, I always liked Electro ( in the old costume) or the Circus of Crime (not the right name).

If they use the Vulture, I can't think of anyone better than Larry David to play him. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
It is patently obvious that Harry Osbourne is going to go Gobby in Spider Man 3, the entire ending of SpiderMan 2 is a tease for it.

Spider Man fights his best friend, who will probably capture MJ, everyone's favorite wonder hostage, and say really mean things to her.

There were at least three potential villains in Spider Man 2 -- the one-armed doctor who messes with reptile DNA to regenerate his limb and becomes the Lizard or whatever, and then there's the astronaut fiancee of MJ, who gets zapped with radiation or cosmic villain rays in outer space and becomes some sort of bad guy. And then you got Harry, who is left looking at a bunch of Goblin Gear and the infamous Make-You-Go-Crazy Goblin Gas.

Maybe Spider Man 3 will have all three. Spider Man 3 with three villains. You can make the posters yourself.

But at least one of them is going to be Harry, and Raimi is just being coy. Harry is going to be the bad guy, at least one of them. The potential for juicy personal drama is just too great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks