What's new

Spider-Man 2 DVD Reviews - when? (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

Well the PAL copy I have is Region 2 and will be the identical copy released in the UK. However, I got mine from Kuwait in the Middle East and they seem to be selling it EVERYWHERE as well as Harry Potter. I assumed they must have an early release date out here. Who knows ?

So if you want an early PAL copy, Im afraid you'll have to come out here :)

Guido AC

Grip
Red Cross makes Sony delete image:

There's one image from the Spider-Man® 2 theatrical release that viewers won't see when the film debuts on DVD.

There's one image from the Spider-Man® 2 theatrical release that viewers won't see when the film debuts on DVD.

After the film was released, the American Red Cross contacted Sony Pictures and explained its concern about one scene in which we see a red cross on the fictional Midtown Hospital.

The American Red Cross explained that a red cross is not a generic symbol for health care or medical services and that the organization has been trying to educate the public about the protected status of its emblem — a Greek red cross.

The reason the American Red Cross is so protective of its emblem is that they feel misuse of it, intentional or inadvertent, can put lives at risk. The Greek red cross on the vest of a worker at the scene of a disaster indicates that the person is a trained Red Cross worker, with the necessary skills and knowledge to respond to the danger at hand. Also, its appearance on the roof of a tent or a vehicle during military hostilities signals a neutral and safe haven for medical treatment.

The worry is that if the American Red Cross emblem is viewed as a generic symbol, the protection it offers at disaster sites and during wartime is imperiled. For that reason, U.S. laws are in place to protect the emblem and limit use of the emblem by anyone other than the American Red Cross.

The American Red Cross has explained that the use of a red cross on the hospital in Spider-Man® 2, although clearly fictional, might be misleading and could give viewers the impression that a red cross is a generic symbol for hospitals.

Sony Pictures, in an effort to support the mission of the American Red Cross, has agreed to change the color of the cross from red to white for the DVD release as well as in all other upcoming release formats.

No original cut = No sale

Cancelling my pre-order...;)

Britton

Screenwriter
I'm glad they did that because that incorrectly placed red cross stuck out like a sore thumb to me. :rolleyes

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Paul,

I have the Widescreen SE, not Superbit. I will be watching it shortly...and will let you know how it looks and sounds immediately following. I have a 9' FireHawk screen, Sharp 10000 projector with a Denon DVD-5900 spinning my discs.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
This is a very nice DVD. I may not be as critical as some of you on this forum, but I think most of you will be very happy with this release. It is presented as 2.40:1 anamorphic with plenty of detail, solid blacks, and vibrant, saturated colors. The sound is amazing...Doc Ock is all about the LFE channel. As you would expect in an action flick like this, the surrounds are extremely active. I am quite curious how the Superbit release will improve on this (although I would expect the DTS track will be where it should shine).

I've only watched a few of the supplements, but there are plenty. I am glad to see they acknowledged Gwen Stacy's existence, even if only in a short blurb.

Guido AC

Grip
Michael, will you please turn on the subtitles and tell me if they are like Sony always does them: Big, ugly, yellow and placed in the lower widescreen bar instead of inside the frame where they should be.

Thank you!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for the input Micheal! Can not believe that this is out on DVD already...

Real Name
Anthony
Being a cheap bastard - and mindful of the fact that a "2.5" version is rumoured to be on the way - I went for the HK R3 version. Those similarly minded should know that this edition is MISSING the technical commentary by the fx team. I'm not that bothered, I have to say - I'm pretty tired of "that's real, that's a model, that's CG" tracks anyway, so I'd probably never get round to listening to it.

More bothersome is the transfer, which doesn't seem to meet the standards described in the R4 reviews. The contrast looks a bit off to me, with faces looking a tad over-exposed. There also seems to be a bit of EE going on. It's not terrible by any means but it's a bit disappointing.

Everything else is present and correct, though, and I'd add my praise for the two-hour documentary. Charlie's done an excellent job ! Hugely better than the SPIDER-MAN disc all round.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I rented the R4 a couple of nights ago and certainly noticed that. I definitely don't remember it looking like that over-exposed in the theatre, darker scenes seem ok just the day shots look off.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
The Canadian store FUTURE SHOP says they will be including a bonus disc with the SPIDER-MAN 2 DVD. Does anyone know what it's going to be?

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if Best Buy is offering a bonus disc, but if they are the Future Shop disc will likely be the same. Best Buy owns them.

Couldn't tell you want was on it though.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I think I may actually vaguely remember that and thinking "A Red Cross Hospital?"
It would have been funny if they changed the cross to blue and gotten in even more trouble.
Around here, all the signs that show you the way to the hospital are white "H"'s with blue backgrounds. Don't know that the actual hospitals have any such symbol. But for a comic-book world, a white cross seems a step in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks