Spider-man 2 11/30

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DanFe, Aug 19, 2004.

1. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

2. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Any news of Spider-man 2.5 yet?

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

if the film had been 1.85 i probably wouldn't be tempted to go with the SB, but since its 2.35, looks like i won't be getting no extras this time.
    i'm not a huge DTS freak, but the amount of res you lose with the scope-sized image is just that much more compounded with CTSs tendency to filter out the finer detail on the non superbit releases.

shame they lack the technology to put that second disc in the superbit case.

4. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    So, if I understand this release information correctly, we can choose from a high-quality transfer w/DTS sound *OR* lots of special features. What PRECISELY is the point of "SuperBit Deluxe" 2-disc sets? I thought it was to provide a high-quality transfer AND lots of special features. I guess it's more cost-effective (for them) to have us buy two copies.

I see a very public SuperBit rant coming soon to a home theater magazine near you.

5. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I will get the DTS version. I have the DTS of spidey 1. I can probably rent or borrow the 2 disc with the extras.

JACOB

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I think I'll get the Superbit.....I can always get the SE as part of a Columbia House fulfillment order OR wait until the price drops sometime next year.

7. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    I'm glad that they aren't making us wait for the Superbit. Though I really enjoyed this movie and want it for my library, I'm not interested in extras that will only get played one time - if that.

8. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

I just hope they don't intentionally compromise the picture quality on the SE to sell more copies of the Super(fluous)Bit.

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I taped the first one off of HBO-HD, but since SP2 is 2.35 they'll crop it. If anyone hasn't caught the HD version of SP1 yet, it blows away all DVDs by far.

It's getting harder and harder to buy DVD now, but I suppose the DTS version will have to do until DVD-HD/BluRay arrives.

10. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Why are they releasing it as a Superbit and not just as a Superbit Deluxe?

I bet Sony is planning on a 3-disc Deluxe version in time for the theatrical release of Spider-man 3 just like they did with the first movie...

11. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Hmmm. Didn't plan on getting this since I wasn't expecting the extras to sound this good. [​IMG]

12. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Great! SB right off the bat. I agree though why not just make this a SB Deluxe, but I agree most of the extras on DVD is useless "He's great director, I love my actors, or I think we pulled it off" drivel.

Sony should use the SB video process, meaning less filtering and using higher bitrate for the video, for all their releases. It's marketing hype. Other studios have been doing the same thing with their releases and have not been asking for premium prices. Most SB discs have some space left over to put extras. The idea of having a standard two-disc release with extras and a lower quality video transfer and then a single disc release with high quality video seems bass ackwards to me. I could care less about dts on SB, but Sony is gouging people that have to have dts.

13. Brian_H

Brian_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely glad they're going with a Superbit release right off the bat, but a Superbit deluxe would've been much nicer.

Oh well, I'll buy myself the superbit, buy the two-disc set for my parents, and take the second disk, as I don't think they've ever watched a single DVD extra in their lives.

14. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

will be getting both

15. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Crap, usually I'd jump straight to Superbit. But, since Charlie did the 2 disc SE, I assume the extras won't suck as they did for the original. Oh well, my brother will pick up the 2 disc set I'm sure, and since we are letting him stay with us while he goes to school, it's a win-win.

16. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I'll wait for the reviews. I'm sure Sony will do a half-assed job with the transfer on the 2-disc SE so the Superbit looks better. But if it turns out the difference isn't noticable, I'll get the SE.

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm buying the Superbit myself.

18. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

quote:if the film had been 1.85 i probably wouldn't be tempted to go with the SB, but since its 2.35, looks like i won't be getting no extras this time.

Paul, usually so eloquent, must be burned out. I've NEVER seen him use a double negative like that.[​IMG]

Sorry, man; I know it was an honest mistake, but it was too funny, coming from you, not to point out.

I guess Sony figured since they have that Extended version with 2 mins additional footage or something, that they could go ahead and release the Superbit right away. That still leaves room for a Superbit Deluxe and an Extended Cut DVD down the line. Will you be able to get an extended cut SB? All signs point to "no" based on the current "Underworld" offerings. Then again, give them time. They're going to go all-out on DVD regurgitation before they can make eveybody buy again on Blu-ray should it come to fruition.

19. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I like how the Variety article mentions a later edition so subtley.

quote:CTHE will load up the first DVD edition of "Spider-Man 2"

But I'll buy the 2 disc regardless. Like most Columbia "deluxe editions" they're never that much different than the previous release.

20. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Definitely going to pick this one up when it comes out! Of course, CTHE will sucker us all into wanting to get the "Spider-Man 2.5" extended director's cut reissue when that comes out, then they'll do yet another "Spider-Man 2" set down the road of the same 2-disc set along with a bonus third disc of extra stuff and promos for #3. How many people want to bet on that happening?