Spider-Man (1978 Live Action) ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brandon Gantt, May 18, 2004.

1. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't popped up yet. With Spider-Man appearing in various incarnations on DVD thanks to his movie success this would seem a no-brainer.

Granted it's not faithful to the source material but, it's something I would still like to see.

Part of the problem may be that it's an independent poduction with no ties to a studio. The only way that we would probably get it is if a company like Anchor Bay of Image licensed it.

Or Marvel could be blocking it's release for reasons unknown.

Rhino released a few episodes on VHS in the 90s but I doubt if they still have the rights.

2. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

And Rhino's VHS releases, recall, were of the re-edited two hour movies for syndication that would graft two unrelated episodes together (an exception being "Deadly Dust" which originally was a two parter but is now missing it's "To Be Continued" and Part 1 End Credits on VHS). A DVD release should be of the episodes as they originally aired on CBS.

I too find it strange that they have not been released, because one can make an argument that the live action Spiderman was a lot more faithful to the source material than that of any other Marvel Superhero that got live action treatment in the late 70s. Certainly more faithful than the Incredible Hulk or that dreadful Captain America TV movie.

Besides, I would love a DVD release if only to see "Deadly Dust" which has Joanna Cameron (Isis) guesting. [​IMG]

3. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

That Dr. Strange movie was pretty good though.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

In a teeny bikini in the latter part of the story (yowza!). Also features Randy Powell (Francis on TV's Logan's Run) as one of Peter's misguided student friends.

Speaking of those two-hour movie compilations: anybody else notice that when the Sci-Fi Channel ran the series in one-hour segments that instead of using the original episodes for "Deadly Dust", they took the movie version and chopped it in half, and placed very awkward "to be continued" and "Deadly Dust part 2" captions? I guess they were too lazy to get the real thing and just took the tapes that were left over from all those Thanksgiving runs on USA Network...

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'd get this in a heart beat. It was my introduction to the character (other than The Electric Companey) so it'd be neat to have.

I never saw the Doctor Strange movie, is it available anywhere? The 90's Nick Fury with David Hasselhoff was pretty lousy.

6. Mark Tay

Mark Tay Stunt Coordinator

I too would LOVE to buy a DVD release of the episodes as they originally aired on CBS.

[​IMG]

7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

8. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Looks like he has a serious medical condition.

9. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

This wouldn't happen to be the show that had three pilot movies would it? The one that was directed by E. W. Swackhammer!

10. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

There was just one pilot movie that featured Nicholas Hammond in terms of telling the origin. When it became an irregular series, there was some recasting in other parts (Robert F. Simon replacing David White as Jameson) but there wasn't more than one official pilot (unless the two part "Deadly Dust" was considered to be a second pilot).

11. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Whatever happened to Nicholas Hammond?

12. Chris:L

Washed up.[​IMG]

13. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

He lives in Australia. He still acts occasionally. He did a guest shot on "The Lost World" in 2000.

14. Chris:L

Like I said. Washed up!

15. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I thought you guys were talking about the Japanese series where Spidey drives a giant robot.

16. david_slater

david_slater Stunt Coordinator

i have all the old stuff on tape.
    Captain America, Dr. Strange, the Flash, Spider-Man(pilot movie), The vindicator, he-man (movie), so on...
    and they are still like new.
    i take care of my stuff. thats the one good thing about ebay, finding old shows you cant find anywhere else.
    now if they just release them on dvd... [​IMG]