SPHE Press Release: Why We Fight

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “I defy anyone not to be staggered by it.”
    - Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

“Ambitious … scary … eye-opening! Looks back from a post-9/11 vantage point to see how Ike’s prophecy has come horribly true, with the collusion of Congress, corporations and the rise of unelected think tanks.”
    - David Ansen, Newsweek

IT IS NOWHERE WRITTEN THAT THE AMERICAN EMPIRE
    GOES ON FOREVER

EUGENE JARECKI ‘S UNFLINCHING LOOK AT THE
    AMERICAN WAR MACHINE

WHY WE FIGHT

LAUNCHING ON DVD JUNE 20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culver City, Calif. (April 10, 2006) – Why We Fight, the provocative new documentary from acclaimed filmmaker Eugene Jarecki (The Trials of Henry Kissinger) and winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival, premieres on DVD June 20th from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. A daring glimpse into the inner workings of the military industrial complex and its toll on the American political and social landscape, Why We Fight is priced at $24.96 SRP.

Named after the series of short films by legendary director Frank Capra that explored America’s reasons for entering World War II, Why We Fight surveys a half-century of military conflicts, asking how – and answering why – a nation of, by and for the people has become the savings-and-loan of a government system whose survival depends on an Orwellian state of constant war.

The Why We Fight DVD features interviews and observations by a “who’s who” of military and Washington insiders including Senator John McCain, Gore Vidal, and Dan Rather. Beginning with President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s prescient 1961 speech warning of the rise of the “military industrial complex,” Why We Fight moves far beyond the headlines of various American military operations to the deeper questions of why America seemingly is always at war. What are the forces – political, economic, and ideological – that drive us to clash against an ever-changing enemy? Just why does America fight? Unforgettable, powerful and at times disturbing, Why We Fight on DVD will challenge viewers long after the last fade-out.

DVD Special Features

Extended Scenes
    Military Industrial Complex – A Brief History of Time Featurette
    Director Commentary

DVD Catalog #:
    DVD UPC Code:
    0-43396-13894-0
    DVD Order Date:
    5/18/06
    DVD SLP:

Running Time
    98 minutes
    Rating
    PG-13 for disturbing war images and brief language

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Let me add a warning please: This is for informative purposes only. There shall be no political discussion in this thread. Thank You!

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'll try to review this title, as it sounds interesting. I'll allow topical conversation in the review thread, but only as long as it remains civil and relevant to the content of the film.

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I'm looking forward to this release since the film didn't get a very wide distribution.

I'll be on the lookout for your review, Aaron.

Rob

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Has anyone seen this? I thought it was an "official" release of the Capra series, but it still sounds interesting.

speaking of the Capra, does anyone know which is the best version of that one available? I remember getting a volume on the liberation of the concentration caps that I think was in this series, and I would like to have another copy of it to show people when they talk about the Holocaust. I know it sounds goulish, but current documentaries shy away from the real graphic footage, which is a shame because people don't believe you when you talk about seeing film of what really happened.

6. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Yes, it is quite good. The press release provides an accurate synopsis. Ebert didn't like it, but I thought his criticism was rather poor, making the film sound like something you see on a regular basis...its not, though themes have been publicized in books like Chalmers Johnson's The Sorrows of Empire .

Tim

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I had been planning to see this in February when it came to a theater about 30 minutes away, but it only stayed there for one week and I missed out. I look forward to the DVD release; thanks for posting the info!