1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Where Is My Roy Cohn? (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Message #21 of 35 Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The one “moving the goalpost” is not me. My objection was to how this content is presented, and to compare Cohn to Hitler, or to compare ANY gay Jew, myself included, to a man who killed both Jews and homosexuals, is beyond the limits of acceptable discourse.

Jojo Rabbit is not even remotely in the same league as this. For one thing, that’s actually about Hitler, and a comedy at that. That does not claim to be the truth any more than any other work of historical fiction. It uses modern pop songs, so it’s obviously not a substitute or replacement for actual historical study. A documentary does not have the same luxury.

For another thing, Cohn’s actions were in the employ of the US Government.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    If you haven't seen this film, which from the content of your posts it seems clear that you have not, then how do you know how the content is presented?

Adolf Hitler is a despicable historical figure. Roy Cohn is a despicable historical figure. I will not apologize for making that connection. If that bothers you, then take out Hitler and plug in any other despicable historical or political figure of your choosing and the analogy still works.

Jojo Rabbit is a film which frankly discusses the horrors of Nazi Germany under Hitler and his impact on the world in a way that is designed to provoke empathy and understanding. I have only seen the trailer for Where's My Roy Cohn? so can't speak directly to its entire content, but it appears to present a portrait of Cohn so that we may understand his impact. I don't see that as being fundamentally different in purpose, although I imagine that their content and execution is very different.

3. Message #23 of 35 Nov 12, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That apples and oranges comparison is deeply, profoundly offensive and hurtful, and the use of the words “despicable” and “evil” in the press release make it clear that my time is better spent elsewhere. Hitler was a mass murderer. Roy Cohn was not. Analogy rejected.

4. Message #24 of 35 Nov 12, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    What Hitler and Cohn did or did not do with their lives does not change the fact that both of them are historical figures who had an impact on the world. George Washington and Harriet Tubman are both historical figures too, and they had nothing to do with each other or with Hitler or Cohn.

However, if you find my content offensive, feel free to use the "ignore" feature built into the forum to filter out my posts. You can do this in settings.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And here is where we start to slide down the rabbit hole.

Let's stop. Now.

When we start to compare Cohn to Hitler and who is worse, we are not talking about the merits of this film.

If this sort of nonsense continues, members will be banned from this thread. That easy.

Move on.

Robin9 and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    How much screen time does the Rosenberg Trial get anyway?

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Has anyone on the forum actually seen this film? If so, your perspective on the movie itself would be appreciated.

8. Message #28 of 35 Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Deleted

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I can't speak for Blu-ray.com but I suspect they might have suspended comments on this release to avoid the kind of circular discussion that occurred here last night.

Again, I would like to ask: has anyone here actually seen the film? It is not a direct-to-video title and did have a theatrical release. My arthouse screened it for a week or so a couple months ago but I didn't get to it. So it is possible that some people here may have actually seen it.

If so, I would be interested to hear your opinion of the film itself, which has not yet been discussed here.

atcolomb likes this.
  10. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I guess it won't be until the end of December when my local library gets it.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread was a few posts from being closed too and it still might happen, if people can't respect our forum guidelines. And, if that happens, it won't be the only moderator action applied as violators will be punished too.

12. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Just making a observation and nothing else. My apologies if I broke any rules.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm sorry if you took my warning the wrong way. My warning about this particular thread was to the general membership and not you specifically as your prior post was fine.

atcolomb likes this.
  14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Judging from the state of the world we have not learned much from watching films about rotten, despicable people.

On the other hand, suppressing films about them or condemning a company for releasing them does not accomplish any worthwhile goal either.

15. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I don't get the mentality of people who pop into a thread to state "I'm not watching this film because of XYZ!". If there's a post on a film you have no interest in, is it necessary to announce your boycotting of it? The first page of the blu ray forum has 6 films in the thread headings I have zero interest in for various reasons. Should I pop into all 6 posts to let everyone know I'm not buying them?:D