SPHE Press Release: Underworld Evolution

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    KATE BECKINSALE AND SCOTT SPEEDMAN
    RETURN IN THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED SEQUEL

UNDERWORLD EVOLUTION

- Debuting on Special Edition DVD and for PSP June 6th-

Culver City, Calif. (March 27, 2006) –The ancient secrets of the underworld are unlocked when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases Underworld Evolution on Special Edition DVD and for PSP June 6th. From the filmmakers that brought viewers the original, director Len Wiseman (Underworld), producers Gary Lucchesi (Underworld, Aeon Flux) and Academy Award®-winner Tom Rosenberg (Million Dollar Baby, The Exorcism of Emily Rose), this sequel to the $100 million worldwide blockbuster hit Underworld continues the saga of war between the aristocratic Death Dealer vampires and the barbaric Lycan werewolves. Kate Beckinsale (Underworld, Van Helsing), Scott Speedman (Underworld, XXX: State of the Union), Bill Nighy (Underworld, upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest) and Tony Curran (The League of Extraordinary Gentleman) star in this fast-paced, modern-day tale of deadly action, ruthless intrigue and forbidden love. The Special Edition DVD Underworld: Evolution takes the sci-fi genre to new heights with an action-packed mix of bonus features including commentary, various featurettes, a music video and more. Underworld: Evolution will be available on Special Edition DVD and for PSP for an SRP of $28.95.

Available on DVD in both widescreen and full screen versions, Underworld Evolution was an instant success at the box office, opening at number one with a $27 million first weekend and has grossed more than $62 million to date.

Underworld Evolution will also be released on the Universal Media Disc (UMD™) format that plays on the PSP™ (Playstation Portable) handheld entertainment system. The UMD™ of Underworld Evolution is compatible with the Sony Playstation Portable ™ (PSP™), the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive experience and to support multiple lifestyle applications including games, music, movies, communication and wireless gaming.

Synopsis:

Underworld Evolution traces the beginnings of the ancient feud between the Death Dealers and the Lycans as beautiful vampire heroine Selene (Beckinsale) and Lycan werewolf hybrid Michael (Speedman) try to unlock the secrets of their bloodlines before the two tribes end their search and their lives. Betrayed by fellow vampires and her maker Viktor (Nighy), Selene must overcome her suffering to end the war between the tribes and seek revenge for the death of her mortal family and the disloyalty of her own kind. Selene and Michael’s quest for peace, truth and the destruction of the evil powers lurking on the seat of the vampire throne takes them into the battle to end all wars as the immortals finally face their retribution.

The DVD release of Underworld Evolution will be supported by a multi-million dollar marketing campaign that includes national television and online ad campaigns, national radio promotion in the top 40 markets, and an online campaign.

DVD BONUS Features Include

Director and Filmmaker’s Commentary
    Making-of-featurette
    Visual effects featurette
    Creature featurette
    Stunts Featurette
    Design Featurette
    Music and sound design featurette
    Bonus music video

Underworld: Evolution has a runtime of approximately 105 min and is rated R for pervasive strong violence and gore, some sexuality/nudity and language. Artwork is available www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # (WS): 14438
    DVD Catalog # (FS): 14732
    UMD Catalog #: 14441
    DVD UPC Code (WS): 0-43396-14438-5
    DVD UPC Code (FS): 0-43396-14732-4
    UMD UPC Code: 0-43396-144415
    DVD Order Date: 5/4/06
    UMD Order Date: 5/4/06
    DVD SRP: $28.95
    UMD SRP: $28.95

2. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

The most tedious, boring and generally rubbish film I've seen since the first Underworld. Kate Beckinsale deserves better!! I'll be avoiding this.

John

3. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

I thought the Blu-Ray was supposed to be day-and-date?

4. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I really liked the first one but I missed this one so I'll be picking this one up.

5. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I also really liked the first one and I didn't see this one in theaters so I'll be getting this on too.

6. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

I bet there's an Unrated Edition coming soon.

7. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

As a big fan of Kate Beckinsale, I'm really looking forward to this one as well. However, after what happened with the first Underworld DVD, I think maybe I'll wait a little while for the inevitable 2 disc expanded edition that's sure to follow. No, I don't have any inside information, just a healthy skepticism.

I don't want to wait, but I'm going to make myself do so for a while at least. If there's no "upgrade" on the horizon by the time they drop the list price to $20 after a year or so, and sale prices drop to $10, then I'll go ahead and get this first edition of the DVD at that time.

I wish I didn't have to do it this way, but I've learned my lesson. How does that go again? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. No more single disc DVDs of current films when they first come out on DVD. Of course, classic films are a horse of an entirely different color.

8. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter