1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: The Walk (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Message #1 of 26 Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

“Breathtakingly gorgeous and well-acted…an exciting thrill ride.”~ Richard Roeper, CHICAGO SUN TIMES

“A loving tribute to the World Trade Center towers” ~ Jaime N. Christley, SLANT MAGAZINE

TheWALK_Logo.

THE WALK

From the Director of Forrest Gump & Cast Away

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Sir Ben Kingsley, Charlotte Le Bon,

James Badge Dale & Ben Schwartz

On Digital HD Dec. 22

and Two-Disc Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray & DVD Jan. 5

Loaded with Bonus Materials, Including Deleted Scenes

& Three Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes

CULVER CITY, Calif. (Nov. 23, 2015) – Academy Award® winning Director Robert Zemeckis, (Best Director, Forrest Gump, 1994) uses cutting edge technology to bring to life the true story of THE WALK,debuting on Digital HD Dec. 22 and on Two-Disc 3D Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Blu-ray and DVD Jan. 5 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Looper) stars as Philippe Petit, a young dreamer who brings together a band of unlikely recruits to achieve the impossible: a wire walk in the immense void between the World Trade Center towers. With little more than nerve and blind ambition, Petit and his ragtag crew overcome daunting physical obstacles, betrayals, countless close calls and overwhelming odds to beat the system and execute their mad plan. THE WALK also stars Academy Award® winner Sir Ben Kingsley (Best Actor, Gandhi, 1982), Charlotte Le Bon (Yves Saint Laurent), James Badge Dale (World War Z) and Ben Schwartz (“Parks and Recreation”).

Bonus materials on THE WALK 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD include the featurette “Pillars of Support,” which spotlights the characters portrayed in the film by Sir Ben Kingsley, James Badge Dale and Charlotte Le Bon. The 3D Blu-ray and the Blu-ray are exclusively loaded with additional bonus materials, including deleted scenes and two behind-the-scenes featurettes. In “First Steps,” viewers witness Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s first steps on the wire during pre-production, as he learns to “walk the rope” from the legendary Philippe Petit. Viewers also hear the actor and his mentor speak to the physical and mental skills required to master this incredible skill. “The Amazing Walk” is a three-part series that breaks down “the walk.” In addition, the featurette touches on the epic recreation of the Twin Towers and their role as a character in the film.

Synopsis:

Twelve men have walked on the moon, but only one man – Philippe Petit (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) – has ever walked in the immense void between the World Trade Center towers. Guided by his real-life mentor, Papa Rudy (Ben Kingsley), and aided by an unlikely band of international recruits, Petit and his gang overcome long odds, betrayals, dissension and countless close calls to conceive and execute their mad plan. Academy Award®-winning director Robert Zemeckis (Best Director, Forrest Gump, 1994) uses advanced technology in the service of an emotional, character-driven story. THE WALK is a love letter to Paris and New York City in the 1970s, but most of all, to the towers of the World Trade Center.

Directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Robert Zemeckis & Christopher Browne, THE WALK was produced by Steve Starkey, Robert Zemeckis and Jack Rapke. Cherylanne Martin, Jacqueline Levine and Ben Waisbren served as executive producers.

Blu-ray™ & DVD Bonus Materials Include:

§   “Pillars of Support” Featurette

Blu-ray™ Exclusive Bonus Materials Include:

§  Deleted Scenes

§  Two Featurettes:

• “First Steps”
    •  “The Amazing Walk”

THE WALK has a run time of approximately 123 minutes and is rated PG for thematic elements involving perilous situations, and for some nudity, language, brief drug references and smoking.

Academy Award® is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This movie has the most effective 3D I've ever seen. It should make a stunning disc.

3. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    It was gone from theaters so fast, I never got around to seeing it. Any movie that is filmed in 3D is an immediate buy for me. There are so few of them. I think the title was the problem with this one. Every time I would say to someone, "I want to see THE WALK." They would respond, "What's that?" When I would explain what it was, they would show interest, but nobody seemed to know what it was by its title.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yup, viewed it in an IMAX theater in which I was the only one in the theater.

5. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    And this isn't one of them. I was absolutely shocked to discover that "The Walk" was post converted because at no point did it appear that way. Zemeckis designed every shot for 3D and it shows. Apparently they got more bang for their buck doing a post conversion than filming natively.

6. Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt Stunt Coordinator

Jon Lidolt
    Sony obviously dropped the ball on this one too. Wasn't anyone at that big studio paying attention to the actual daily business of movie-making? There's obviously more to it than taking meetings and making deals. I was thinking of seeing The Walk but couldn't get anyone to go with me. No one I knew had heard about it or knew what it was about. Maybe the title was wrong, did the ads work? It's no wonder that MGM is looking around for someone else to distribute their Bond movies.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sony never sent us a screener for this release, so I made no hurry of reviewing it.

However, before I talk more about this, let me go back a few months...

Somebody on this forum posted, after seeing THE WALK in theaters, that he predicted it would be placed in the #1 position on my Top 30 List.

So, naturally, I was very excited about seeing this movie.

I finally had the opportunity to do so -- of all places -- in the screening room of Sony Studios back in October during the HTF meet.

And you know what? I wasn't impressed. Thought the film played better as a TV movie and that the 3D was pretty decent, but not groundbreaking.

Today I finally opened up the Blu-ray I recently purchased and watched it in my home theater.

Completely different experience. Completely!

I realize I won't get many to agree with me on this, but I think that sometimes the better viewing experience is in a good home theater as opposed to a cinema. I have a decent theater with a huge screen that I sit fairly close to. Let's just say it's more enveloping than a movie theater.

As I sat and saw this movie in 3D for a second time, there was a newly found appreciation for what I was seeing before me.

Depth was wide-open. Some of the best levels of depth I have seen in 3D films. The camera angles poised from above and below created an incredible sense of height and distance. The rope often seemed to emanate from the foot of the screen into an outward direction that seemed limitless.

Is it the best 3D I have ever seen? Yeah, it's up there. While there are a few moments of pop-out, the real thrill is in the level of depth that absolutely makes you feel you are right there in the scene. I actually got chills racing up my body the first time Phillipe Petit took his first steps across a construction beam on the roof of the World Trade Center.

This is a Blu-ray presentation that is worthy of being placed, easily, in the Top 5 titles on my list.

The problem I have, is that this is a film that was not lensed for 3D. It was converted to 3D in post production.

....and really, as far as conversions go, this is probably the best of the lot.

It's just hard to put this film ahead of others that were lensed for 3D, and in all, give a more pronounced experience both inwards and outwards.

So, I have some thinking to do where to exactly place THE WALK on my list.

However, I was so impressed with what I saw on my home screen that I felt I needed to briefly talk about it with all of you.

To all my fellow HTF 3D enthusiasts, I implore you to purchase this title. You'll find it to be one of the finest 3D viewings you have ever experienced.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I thought it was best 3-D experience I ever had in a movie theater. Now, it was in a real IMAX theater and it so happened I was the only person in the audience for that matinee showing. I got the 3-D BD from Best Buy the other day for 19.99 plus tax after using a $5.00 credit. I haven't watched the BD yet, but plan to do so in the near future.

TravisR likes this.
  9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ...and thank you for the recommendation, Somebody

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, I did make this post back on October 1st.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Aaah, that was the post. I didn't remember it entirely correctly -- but it was the post that motivated me to want to see this film.

...and it will make the list.

12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I kinda think this movie proves that whether or not it was shot in 3D is almost irrelevant at this point. Every shot in this movie was designed for a 3D experience. Director Robert Zemeckis was experimenting with 3D filmmaking before the modern craze restarted - it's probably his work on The Polar Express and Beowulf that we have to thank for Avatar and everything that's come since.

There was a fascinating article in American Cinematographer about both this movie and The Martian. This was post-converted, but meticulously planned for 3D before they shot a single frame of footage. The Martian was shot with native 3D cameras, but without any of the same effort for planning in 3D. Both films were shot by the same director of photography, Dariusz Wolski. Wolski noted in the AC article that Zemeckis thought about each and every 3D shot, while Ridley Scott (shooting in native 3D), did not think about 3D the same way. Wolski also said that he believes if you're trying to get a greater effect from 3D, that postconversion offers more control and better dimensionality than shooting native.

There's also some great insight in this Variety interview with Wolski:

http://variety.com/2015/artisans/in-contention/dariusz-wolski-the-walk-the-martian-3d-1201620333/

Some relevant quotes:

"It can be way more beneficial to shoot in 2D first if you’re playing 3D as an effect, which in the case of “The Walk,” it was."

"But [Ridley Scott is] not going to dwell on one shot to make it the perfect 3D shot, unlike Bob [Zemeckis], who would do that. It’s just two brilliant directors who have completely different approaches to filmmaking."

TravisR likes this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Josh, thank you for this information.

I must admit, I am getting more and more impressed with some of these upconversions. I no longer turn my nose at them, as I did with some of the earlier efforts.

I still think, in the long run, I appreciate native 3D better. Many of the titles that I have rated at the top have certain qualities to them that I don't think can be duplicated with post conversion --- whether it be the amount of pop-out or the say objects are layered.

Still, you present some great arguments that makes for interesting debate about native vs. unconverted 3D.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You're welcome, Ron!

I think the big difference between The Walk and most other postconversions is that Robert Zemeckis always saw The Walk as a 3D film from the start, and did everything he could to make it come out as one. It wasn't mentioned in the Variety article, but in the AC article, they said that for the $35 million budget the movie was made for, there was simply no way they could afford to shoot with 3D cameras and come in on schedule and on budget. Interestingly, it was almost the reverse for The Martian - Fox wanted the movie in 3D, but the movie was being made on a very tight schedule that wasn't going to allow enough time do a conversion, so the only way it could be 3D with the time they had was to shoot it native. I had never read as much detail about why the same director of photography would choose two different methods for achieving the same result, and I found that really interesting. (Unfortunately the article is locked between a paywall so I can't access the digital version to link or post here.)

I lost a little of my enthusiasm for thinking movies needed to be native 3D to be good after seeing "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" last summer. The director of that movie, Bryan Singer, had made pretty good use of 3D in his movie "Jack the Giant Slayer" but when I saw the X-Men movie, I was shocked at how 2D everything looked. I knew it had been shot using native 3D equipment and I couldn't figure out if there had been something wrong with the projector at the movie theater or what. Shortly after the movie came out, there was an article about it in AC, and Singer talked about how making "Jack the Giant Slayer" was such a complicated experience because of the 3D, and how he felt he was always busy on set running off to the monitor room to check the 3D levels for each shot instead of directing the actors. He said he didn't want to do that again, so he just set up the camera as he would have with a 2D camera, had the 3D set at a constant level throughout, and didn't think about it at all. And the result was basically a 2D movie that happened to have been shot in 3D. Seeing the movie and then reading that interview really changed my perspective about what makes for a good 3D experience.

My opinion is that it's no longer about the cameras, it's about the filmmakers. If the director plans on making a 3D movie, shoots in 3D but plans each shot ahead of time for 3D, and builds enough time into the postproduction schedule to allow the time needed for a good conversion, they can create a truly awesome 3D experience. If a director shooting native 3D just shows up on set and doesn't bother to think about the 3D at all, it's probably not going to be as good. Or if the director shoots in 2D without thinking too much about 3D, and then the studio decides they're going to convert it into a 3D movie without the participation of the filmmakers, on a rushed postproduction schedule, then we'll get something that can have some decent 3D touches here and there but isn't a great 3D experience overall. I think, unfortunately, the latter scenario is the one most true with most Hollywood movies today. I'm genuinely sorry that "The Walk" was unable to find its audience in theaters, because I think it could have been a gamechanger for 3D the way "Avatar" was, if only enough people had seen it.

Matt Hough and Robert Crawford like this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    With all that being said, I'm absolutely in favor of filmmakers continuing to work with and refine techniques for shooting with actual 3D cameras, just as I'm in favor of filmmakers getting more involved with the conversion process. I used to rush out and see everything that was released in 3D just because it's in 3D, and I no longer have the enthusiasm to do that thanks to some of the lackluster titles that have come out, most of those being conversions. If I'm being asked to put more money in for 3D, I'd like to ask for some more effort from the people who are asking for the money. To me, Zemeckis really delivered with 3D this year in a way that no other movie from 2015 did.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I watched it again last night and still loved it. Easily the most underrated movie of the year.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  17. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    My only quibble with the Blu is it is not in IMAX aspect ratio, which I think would have been better for home viewing. The 3D is just fine, but it is framed at 2.40:1, or close to that.

Felix Martinez likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The movie was released in IMAX theaters at 2.40:1 - it did not have a special IMAX ratio. (If you did see it at a different ratio at an IMAX theater, that theater was projecting it improperly.)

Movies this year that had different IMAX ratios:

- Seventh Son (opening sequence opened up to 1.90:1)

- Tomorrowland (entire film presented in 1.90:1 in IMAX - ratio for standard theaters was 2.20:1)

- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (five minute Jakku escape sequence opened to 1.90:1 for digital theaters and 1.44:1 for 15/70 2D theaters and 3D laser projectors)

19. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    This was a good caper film all on its own. But as I sat there on my futon in front of my 65" plasma with 3-D glasses on, I felt... vertigo! Honest-to-God, where did the bottom of my body go, bloody vertigo.

That impressed me because it takes more than aiming a camera downwards to do that. The entire movie has to make you believe.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  20. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    The 3D version left theaters far too quickly for me to catch it. Seems rather stupid to call something IMAX with an aspect ratio of 2.40:1, but, whatever. It's a fine Blu-ray.