SPHE Press release: The Princess Bride Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “As You Wish…”

MGM and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Bring the
    Beloved Fairytale Classic to Collector’s Edition DVD

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

Directed by Rob Reiner and Starring Robin Wright Penn,
    Cary Elwes, Mandy Pantinkin and Billy Crystal

Culver City, Calif. (April 3, 2006) – The timeless and enchanting fairytale, The Princess Bride, returns June 13th when MGM and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment release the beloved film on a 2-disc Collector’s Edition DVD. Directed by Rob Reiner (When Harry Met Sally) and written by Oscar®- winner William Goldman (All the President’s Men), the film is based on Goldman’s book of the same name and stars Robin Wright Penn (Forrest Gump), Cary Elwes (Ella Enchanted), Mandy Pantinkin (Alien Nation), Billy Crystal (City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally), Chris Sarandon (Dog Day Afternoon) and Christopher Guest (This Is Spinal Tap).

For a limited time, this all-new 2-Disc Collector’s Edition will feature collectible packaging - the Buttercup Edition for the romantic and the Dread Pirate Edition for the swashbuckler. Both editions will be available for an SRP of $24.96 and feature all-new bonus materials, including an historical analysis of the Dread Pirate Roberts, Storybook Romance and Miraculous Makeup featurettes, the Quotable Battle of Wits Trivia game, an all-new 8-page collectible Guide to Florin, making of documentaries, director and writer commentaries and much more!

The Buttercup Edition will highlight the romance and fantasy of The Princess Bride and will appeal to families and female fans, while the Dread Pirate Edition will please the film’s male and cult fans by embellishing its adventurous and comedic theme.

In the fairytale adventure The Princess Bride, a young boy (Fred Savage) falls ill and is read a legendary bedtime story by his visiting grandfather (Peter Falk) that immediately comes to life. The story is a classic tale of love and adventure as the beautiful Buttercup (Wright-Penn) is kidnapped and held against her will in order to marry the odious Prince Humperdinck (Sarandon). Her childhood beau Westley (Elwes), now known as the Dread Pirate Roberts, attempts to save her. On the way he meets an accomplished swordsman (Pantinkin), a super strong giant and a few bad guys to rescue Princess Buttercup.

DVD BONUS Features Include

· ”Dread Pirate Roberts: Greatest Legend of the Seven Seas” Historical Analysis
    · “Love is like a Storybook Story” Documentary
    · “Miraculous Make-up” Featurette
    · The Quotable Battle of Wits Trivia Game
    · “As You Wish: The Story of The Princess Bride” Documentary
    · Cary Elwes’ Home Movies
    · Original 1987 Featurette
    · Vintage Making-Of Documentary
    · Audio Commentary by Director Rob Reiner
    · Audio Commentary by Author William Goldman
    · Original Theatrical Trailer
    · 8-Page Fezzik’s Guide to Florin - Collectible Booket
    · Audio: English 5.1, French and Spanish
    · Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

The Princess Bride Buttercup Edition and Dread Pirate Edition will be available in widescreen presentation, has a run time of 98 minutes and is rated PG.

The Princess Bride Buttercup Edition
    The Princess Bride Dread Pirate Edition

DVD Catalog #: 14640
    DVD Catalog #: 14641

DVD UPC Code: 027616146403
    DVD UPC Code: 027616146410

DVD Order Date: 5-11-06
    DVD Order Date: 5-11-06

DVD SRP: $24.96
    DVD SRP: $24.96

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Damn. This triple-dip is a lot more tempting than I thought it would be initially. It looks like they ported everything from the previous MGM special edition over and added some potentially worthwhile new extras.

Will the HTF be reviewing this disc? Will there be a comparison made between the transfers and features from the old SE? I certainly hope so, as reviews of double-, triple-, and quadruple-dips lose a lot of their value, to me at least, otherwise.

3. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Actually, the new features look pretty weak to me but, of course, as a marketer's wet dream, I'll be buying it so I can have everything...sometimes I make myself weary...

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I too would be interested in a good review of this.

While it's not my FAVORITE movie, The Princess Bride is up there.

It's also the most perfect movie ever. The ability to effortlessly shift between almost every genre in the biz while maintaining it's whimsy and romance is unequalled.

But I own it already...I'd need to know how good the new goodies are, even moreso with the advent of a new media for home movie viewing (I am cutting back on standard DVDs).

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

This is one of my absolute favorites. Since everything is being ported over, as long as reviews state the transfer is the same or better, I'll likely trade up.

6. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

One of the reasons that this release intriqued me today, was this bit from DVDActive reported here:

The mockumentary aspect sounded promising. That being said, the press release above makes no mention of this. If that's not the case, and the transfer isn't significantly improved, I may pass.

7. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex

Rob Reiner is well known for mockumentary stuff, so this does have the potential to be rather... entertaining.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It sounds like a good portion of HTF members are interested in these so I'll be adding them to the list! A friend of mine will be lending me his copy of the SE so I'll be able to make a comparison (I only have the original).

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I already have the SE and it's pretty good. So I'm going to have to pass on these cute editions and wait for a Blu-ray release some day.

Maybe next they'll come out with some other editions like these, which would tempt me more:

"Prepare to Die Edition" with Inigo Montoya, sword in hand, on the cover

"Anybody Want a Peanut Edition" with Fezzik (Andre the Giant)

"Inconceivable Edition" with Vezzini

"Have a Nice Time Stormin' the Castle Edition" with Miracle Max and Valerie waving

10. Roy Johansen

Roy Johansen Extra

I happy with the SE, so it'll be easy (well, maybe not exactly easy) to wait for the Blu-Ray release of this one.

Roy

11. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

If the video is the same as the SE: No sale.

I like this movie, but I'm blowing this year's triple-dip budget on Criterion's "Dazed and Confused." :b

12. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I've never seen this film. I wonder if I would like it. I love fantasy (The Wizard of Oz is my favorite film) and I love fairy tales (Disney's Snow White is in my Top 10.) I also love spoofs on fairy tales (like Shrek.)

13. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Inconceivable!!! (you'll get that when you finally see it)

14. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

This is one of my all time favorites, I used the love song for my recessional in my wedding. Great movie.

I don't know if I will buy this or wait for blue-ray.

15. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Wow. As you enjoy those types of movies, it's amazing you don't already own this one! I guarantee it'd be a very safe blind-buy for you!

16. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

So, I'm safe in assuming that it's basically just the exact same features on both sets, except for coverart and menus? I'd hate to have to buy the same set twice over, but I would. [​IMG]

Ryan

17. Alan_H

Alan_H Stunt Coordinator

18. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Wait...isn't this one sporting a brand-new transfer from the 2001 release, along with several new featurettes that weren't on that earlier edition? (Not owning that disc, I'm going by what last week's HTF review said, but that was indeed the case, from what I recall.)

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

It does appear to be a new transfer and there are a few new extras. When someone refers to it as being "the same set", I think they mean the fact that you can get either the "Buttercup" or the "Pirate" edition. THOSE two are identical except for the packaging. In fact, I believe the menus are the same as well - at the DVD's start, you pick which menu you prefer, so I don't there's any disc-based difference between the two 2006 releases...