SPHE Press Release: The Legend Of Zorro

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    "Hooray for the return of Zorro!"
    - Shawn Edwards, FOX-TV

"A fiesta will be had by all."
    - Corrie Rickey, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

ON JANUARY 31, ADVENTURE BEGINS WITH Z!

THE LEGEND OF ZORRO

Starring Antonio Banderas And Catherine Zeta-Jones

-Arriving On DVD, VHS And For PSP From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment–

Culver City, Calif. (Dec. 12, 2005) – On January 31, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings the swashbuckling action-adventure tale, The Legend of Zorro, to store shelves. In this much-anticipated sequel to the 1998 hit Mask of Zorro, the film picks up 10 years after we last met our masked hero who finds himself on another explosive thrill-ride, fighting evil-doers to protect the future of California and its citizens. The Legend of Zorro DVD comes loaded with special features including deleted scenes, audio commentary, exclusive featurettes and more, guaranteeing this energetic blockbuster is sure to be a home theatre favorite.

The Legend of Zorro will also be released on the Universal Media Disc (UMD™) format that plays on the new PSP™ (Playstation Portable) handheld entertainment system. The UMD™ of The Legend of Zorro is compatible with the Sony Playstation Portable ™ (PSP™), the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive experience and to support multiple lifestyle applications including games, music, movies, communication and wireless gaming.

The Legend of Zorro DVD and PSP will be available for $28.95 SLP. Also available is The Legend of Zorro/The Mask of Zorro DVD two-pack for $36.96 SLP.

The Legend of Zorro release will be supported with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign that includes national TV, print and online advertising. There will also be national radio and online promotions, creating millions of impressions.

Synopsis

The original caped crusader is back! Antonio Banderas and Academy Award®-winner Catherine Zeta-Jones return for more swashbuckling action, adventure and excitement in the explosive cinematic thrill-ride, The Legend of Zorro!

Having spent the last ten years fighting injustice and cruelty, Alejandro de la Vega (Banderas) is now facing his greatest challenge: his loving wife Elena (Zeta-Jones) has thrown him out of the house! Elena has filed for divorce and found comfort in the arms of Count Armand (Rufus Sewell), a dashing French aristocrat. But Alejandro knows something she doesn’t: Armand is the evil mastermind behind a terrorist plot to destroy the United States. And so, with his marriage and country’s future at stake, it’s up to Zorro to try and save two unions before it’s too late.

In addition to spectacular fight scenes and entertaining plot lines, The Legend of Zorro reignites the on-screen chemistry between the critically acclaimed cast including Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. The film sequel also boasts the talented actor Rufus Sewell (A Knight’s Tale) cast as the villain, along with the scene-stealing newcomer Adrian Alonso, as resourceful son Joaquin. Hall of fame filmmakers include famed action-adventure director Martin Campbell (Mask of Zorro, GoldenEye) and Academy Award winning producer Steven Spielberg.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

DVD available in two formats: Widescreen and Full Screen Presentations
    Deleted scenes with Optional Director’s Commentary
    Four Behind the Scenes Featurettes: Stunts, Visual Effects, Armand’s Party and Playing With Trains
    Two Multi-angle Scene Deconstructions
    Director and Cinematographer Commentary
    Previews
    Audio: English 5.1, French Dolby Surround
    Subtitles: English, French

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Wow, that was a quick turnaround to video.

I had to suffer through the rumbling and explosions of Zorro as I viewed Rent from an adjoining theater. Of course, the people in that audience were probably saying the same thing about Rent [​IMG]

The trailer looked fun, there is plenty of eye-candy, and since I like rumbling and explosions, I will probably be picking this up on DVD.

- Steve

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I would rent first, its not a good blind buy.. It lacked the charm of the first movie..

very unspiring sequel.. as was with MIB 2.

JACOB

4. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

Expect a new edition within six months

5. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

Much-anticipated? Who do they think they're kidding?

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

7 years too late

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

It can't possibly be that bad. At least we get to look at Ms. Zeta-Jones! [​IMG]

8. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I do like catherine, however she was terrible in the movie.

JACOB

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Yuh know...I was going to say that some number
    of posts back, but I didn't want to start off
    on a bad note just after the Press Release.

Indeed, you can expect Sony to milk this movie
    for at least 1 to 2 reissues over the next 2 years.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I dunno -- there was only one edition of the original, wasn't there?

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

No. I think there were two editions of the first film: a regular edition and a "Superbit" SE.

12. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I liked this, though the chemistry between Banderas and Zeta-Jones was a bit lacking this time around. Seven years too late, indeed, though it's much, much better than MIB 2.

Still, I'll buy it. I plan on picking up the Deluxe Edition of Mask (since I don't own the movie) as part of my post-Christmas DVD haul and with the Legend ticket/DVD coupon included, the cost should be $10 or so that first week...

13. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

Quote - "No. I think there were two editions of the first film: a regular edition and a "Superbit" SE."

Sorry, but there must have been three editions of the first film, I guess. I wasn't aware of the Superbit, but I myself double dipped on this one. The first was a single disc, and the second was a 2 disc special edition that came a few years after the first.

But I can't understand why the idea of possible double dips would matter to any of the posters so far on this thread, since it appears that none of you even liked the film. Presumably you won't be buying any editions of it anyway.

Incidentally, I can't understand what everyone's problem is with Legend Of Zorro. My wife and I both enjoyed it a great deal. Talented, attractive, and charismatic leads and very able supporting players. Old fashioned types of movie stars, at least in this film. Even the kid was pretty good. In a lot of other ways this is a very old fashioned film. Plenty of panache, action, and humor. It was kind of refreshing to see a film that provides this level of excitement without needing to show realistic gore and violence.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that this film was not made for anything other than pure and simple enjoyment. So what if disbelief has to be suspended for a while? I know, the horse on the train top thing couldn't really be done. So what? Relax and don't try to take it so seriously.

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I do not think anybody said that they didn't like MASK OF ZORRO. Many people here own copies of the movie. A lot of the statements are observations regarding the prevalent practice of continuously releasing the same movie, or movies, in new editions.

As for the LEGEND OF ZORRO, I have not seen the film. Personally, the horse on top of the train was not the reason why I chose not to see the movie. The scene is far-fetched, but since the movie is in the superhero/swashbuckler vein I could give it a pass. The reason I didn't see the film was due to the trailer making allusions to terrorism and terrorists. The trailer gave me the impression that THE LEGEND OF ZORRO was going to be nothing but a thinly disguised polemic on the contemporary issue of terrorism. It also didn't help that the film had a story thread involving Zorro's son. I wasn't interested in watching the actions of a precocious brat. Even in the trailer, the kid and his actions made me wince. I, personally, believe that there is no place, or reason, for a kid in this type of swashbuckler movie.

Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS was also partially ruined by the practice of including a precocious brat in the story. All I wanted was an alien death ray to find Dakota Fanning and reduce her to dust, every time she opened her mouth and started screaming. God, I can't stand screaming kids: in real life and in movies.

15. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i think there were 4 editions of the first film

first release (single disc)
    2 disc SE
    Superbit Deluxe (containing second disc from the SE)
    and whatever the newest one (with the movie ticket) was.

i thought the trailer to this was one of the best trailers i have seen in years. it looked like a spectacular movie. i couldn't believe all the negative reviews and they caused me to stay away. a shame, as the previous film was one of my favorite hero/adventure movies of all time- i thought for sure that if they ever made a sequel that it would be in the same spirit.

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Give that man a cigar![​IMG] There are indeed 4 editions as noted above.

17. dave bula

No, that's not what I was saying in post #13. I know that a lot of people liked the first one. I was saying that I couldn't understand why they were worried about double dipping on the second film, Legend Of Zorro, since no one seemed to like it in the thread. Why would different editions matter, if they're not going to buy it anyway?

My wife and I both thought that the trailer for Legend Of Zorro was pretty good too. We probably would have seen the second film even without having seen the trailer because we liked the first one so much, but the trailer just whetted our appetite for it even more.

And no, we didn't see it as being about current world events involving terrorism. Actually, those bad guys reminded me more of an offshoot of the Knights Templar, like in The Da Vinci Code, than they did of Middle Eastern terrorists. Still, this is really just an old-fashioned western, with larger than life bad guys for the heroes to defeat. No messages. Just fun and escapsim.

I don't always enjoy children in films either, and I haven't seen War Of The Worlds, but I've enjoyed the precocious Dakota Fanning in other films like I Am Sam. Haley Joel Osment in Sixth Sense and Secondhand Lions is excellent. The kid in Legend Of Zorro wasn't bad, really. I admit to being a little concerned beforehand that he might ruin the picture, but he didn't.

18. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

dave bula, I'm with you--my wife and I thought THE LEGEND OF ZORRO was a sheer blast, with all of the fun and frenzy of the original. Much to my disbelief, by the time I was 30 minutes into it, I didn't even miss Anthony Hopkins; great, great fun and I'll PROUDLY be owning this unappreciated gem the day it comes out on DVD.

19. dave bula

Thanks, Travis. Well said. Yes, we're looking forward to January 31st too. Not only for Legend Of Zorro, but also for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, another underappreciated gem. I could say much more about that film too, but it wouldn't be appropriate in this particular thread. These will be the first recent films we've bought on DVD in a few months, and on the same day no less.

Oh, I can't resist one more little shot here. My favorite movie of the last couple of years has to be the truly wonderful Secondhand Lions. I loved every single thing about that film. So it only made $41 million at the box office, a failure by today's standards. Doesn't mean a thing. Just shows that big box office doesn't necessarily equal quality.

20. Best Buy is offering both The Legend of Zorro and The Mask of Zorro this week for $25. However, it's ultimately a savings of only $4, since Circuit City has Legend priced for $2 cheaper.

Anyway, I enjoyed this film for what it was, rather than lamenting the absence of Hopkins as the Count of Monte Cristo. Zorro has always been more about escapism than complexity, and Legend fits that bill nicely.

Of course, it has its flaws. The whole subplot featuring Elena feels too much like trying to add a Spiderman 2-type dilemma, and the film could've used additional time in the editing room. But it's still very much in the spirit of what Zorro has always been, and the kid actually ends up being pretty cool (with a smaller role than expected).

Banderas is such a great Zorro, it would be a shame for his tenure to have to end so soon. I still think the Halloween release date (against Saw II, no less) was far more detrimental to this film than the reviews.

I wouldn't mind seeing a final film (The Sword of Zorro?) set another ten years on. Perhaps they could take their cue from Zorro's Fighting Legion (for my money, still the definitive Zorro film), with Banderas leading his own army or allying with native Indians.