What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: The Guns of Navarone (1961) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Original US one
7D403626-90EF-4A7F-8426-2224015274FF.jpeg
sheet.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
When i viewed the Blu-ray i noticed some scenes that were good and others that drop to a lower level of quality. I hope for a improvement with this new one.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
It’s worth revisiting what Robert Harris said about the Blu-ray. He seemed to say that the 4K scan was done at that time.
Yes I agree with this review also. I was dissapointed with my BD copy when it arrived some time ago, all so brown, dull, grainy in parts... I felt dissapointed to say the least. I would expect the UHD 4K version to only be a slight improvement that I probably wont buy. (unless they did some real magic;))

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For some reason, I bought my digital copy from Vudu and not iTunes. So, no free upgrade for me. :( Like @Robert Crawford , though, I love this film, so it's an excuse to buy the UHD disc.
Man, in 2015/2016, I wish I knew then what I know now about these digital platforms.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Does anyone else have issues with this website on chrome? 90% of the time when I click on the email link the page wont load, I have ad blocker disabled.... This has been happening to me for weeks but not on any other forums?????

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The movie is in 4K right now at the usual digital retailers, but it lacks the HDR this disc will have. Do you think the retailers will get the HDR master? Would iTunes consider that an upgrade?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
4K released are really coming thick & fast now, just so many scheduled for the last quarter of this year.
Yes - going to have to build more shelves to hold them all! God help us, if Criterion should jump belatedly onto the bandwagon! :biggrin:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hope it's a lot better than the blu ray. Of the other big actioners of the period, Where Eagles Dare (another horrible blu ray) would also benefit from some work and a 4k release.
Yeah, totally agree about Where Eagles Dare, the Blu-ray looks rotten (like a middling DVD at best), I hope Warner gives it the 4K treatment before discs are found only in museums.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
When i viewed the Blu-ray i noticed some scenes that were good and others that drop to a lower level of quality. I hope for a improvement with this new one.

As what we're going to be getting in the Fall in native 4K is derived from the same source, my caution here would be 'don't expect a miracle'. Guns of Navarone is a movie that egregiously suffered for decades from improper archiving, resulting in a movie that, for all intent and purposes was nearly lost to us.

Through Grover Crisp's due diligence the film was saved, albeit in a condition that does not replicate its original splendor, again, owing to lost opportunities to properly curate the original elements before Mr. Crisp's involvement in 'restoring' the movie to its feature length. Expect to see the drop outs to lower quality still present.

The only improvement here can be in grain resolution, and perhaps, color saturation. But the dupes scattered throughout this movie are what they are, and since Sony has not advertised this one as being sourced from 'newly discovered original elements' (total wish fulfillment on my part) but rather the previously created 4K master, what you're going to get is likely the same anomalies all over again.

The uptick in resolution will be welcome and 'resolve' a few issues, though not all. I'm still looking forward to this one. But I'm not expecting anything close to perfection.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
This is one of those Favorite movies of mine that I have had from VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Bluray, and now 4K UHD ! :D Perfect cover Poster Art ! I have the poster in my living room. Lawrence of Arabia 4K solo release next Please !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks