SPHE Press Release: The Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “A crackling, fast moving thriller. Ron Howard’s ‘The Da Vinci Code’ is the
    holy grail of blockbusters.” - Lou Lumenick, New York Post

“The movie works; it’s involving, intriguing and constantly seems on the edge of startling revelations.” - Roger Ebert, The Chicago Sun-Times

DAN BROWN’S INTERNATIONAL BEST SELLING NOVEL BECOMES THE DVD ACTION THRILLER OF THE YEAR ON NOVEMBER 14

THE DA VINCI CODE

Ron Howard Directs All-Star Cast, Including Oscar® Winner Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Sir Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina, Paul Bettany, and Jean Reno
    In $750 Million Plus Worldwide Box-Office Hit

EXTENSIVE EXTRAS INCLUDE ELEVEN FEATURETTES
    AND PACKAGING WITH HIDDEN MESSAGES

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 5, 2006) – Witness the biggest cover up in human history when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment unveils The Da Vinci Code on a 2-disc DVD set and UMD on November 14. The blockbuster action thriller based on Dan Brown’s acclaimed best-seller is from the Oscar®-winning creative triumvirate behind A Beautiful Mind -- director Ron Howard, producer Brian Glazer and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman. Howard (Backdraft, Cinderella Man) directs a stellar international cast, including two-time Oscar® winner Tom Hanks (Best Actor, Philadelphia, 1994; Best Actor, Forrest Gump, 1995), Audrey Tautou (Amelie, Dirty Pretty Things), Sir Ian McKellen (The Lord of the Rings trilogy), Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2, Frida), Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) and Jean Reno (The Professional, Mission Impossible). The Da Vinci Code smashed box-office records, grossing more than $750 million worldwide and taking the number one opening spot in ten countries including Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Slovenia, Romania, Lithuania, Uruguay and Qatar.

The Da Vinci Code DVD offers over 90 minutes of special features shot in high definition with exclusive content appearing on the two-disc DVD set. Included are 11 featurettes, with individual pieces on Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, author Dan Brown, a look at the locations and cities where the film was shot, interviews about how the cast felt working near the Mona Lisa, a two-part discussion with Ron Howard on the challenges of bringing the book to the screen, and more.

The DVD packaging for The Da Vinci Code will feature hidden phrases from the film that can be viewed only with the use of a blacklight or a magnifying glass. One hidden message even leads to exclusive online content. The DVD will be available for $29.96 SRP.

Synopsis:

In The Da Vinci Code, noted symbologist Professor Robert Langdon (Hanks) and police cryptologist Sophie Neveu (Tautou) go on a heart-racing quest to unearth the biggest cover-up in human history. Langdon is called to the Louvre Museum late one night where a curator has been murdered, leaving behind a mysterious trail of symbols and clues. With his own survival at stake, Langdon unveils a series of stunning secrets hidden in the art work of Leonardo Da Vinci, all leading to a covert society dedicated to guarding an ancient secret that has remained hidden for 2000 years. The pair set off on a frantic quest through Paris, London and Scotland, collecting clues as they desperately attempt to crack the code and reveal secrets that will shake the very foundations of mankind.

DVD Special Features Include:

· Fullscreen and Widescreen Formats Available
    · Digitally Mastered Audio and Video
    · Audio: English 5.1, English DS, French 5.1, Spanish 5.1
    · Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
    · First Day on the Set with Ron Howard Featurette
    o Director Ron Howard introduces the film and the excitement of beginning production at the Louvre in Paris
    · A Discussion with Dan Brown Featurette
    o Featurette on “The Da Vinci Code” author Dan Brown
    · A Portrait of Langdon Featurette
    o Who is Robert Langdon? How was Tom Hanks chosen to play this iconic character? How did Tom Hanks become the character? What do Tom Hanks and Langdon have in common?
    · Who is Sophie Neveu? Featurette
    o The long and challenging journey to the casting of Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu, including the actress’ screen test with Tom Hanks
    · Unusual Suspects Featurette
    o The international cast…Colorful, memorable and frightening characters
    · Magical Places Featurette
    o A fascinating and surprising discussion about the cities and places that were chosen for the film locations
    · Close- up on Mona Lisa Featurette
    o Ron Howard, his cast and colleagues share their experience working next to one of the most famous paintings in the world
    · The Filmmaking Experience Part 1 Featurette
    o Ron Howard discusses his collaboration with his Director of Photography, the challenges faced by production and the excitement of bringing the book to the screen. Includes a DVD exclusive look at filming the last and revealing scene
    · The Filmmaking Experience Part 2 Featurette
    o Continuation of Part 1
    · The Codes of “The Da Vinci Code” Featurette
    o Discusses the hidden codes and symbols in the film. Isolates images from the film, giving the viewer clues over time as to what they mean, eventually giving a detailed description of what the imagery was intended to mean
    · The Music of “The Da Vinci Code” Featurette
    o Overview of creating the music for the film
    · DVD ROM- Da Vinci Code Puzzle Game PC Demo
    o Demo of ”The Da Vinci Code” PC Game from Sony Pictures Games
    · Bonus Previews
    · Closed Captioned

UMD Special Features Include:

· Audio: English 2.0, French 2.0
    · Subtitles: English, French
    · Special Features: N/A

The Da Vinci Code has a run time of approximately 149 minutes and is rated PG-13 for disturbing images, violence, some nudity, thematic material, brief drug references, and sexual content.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=9612

and a gift set retaisl for $81

"The Da Vinci Code Gift Set ($80.95) adds to the package an authentic working replica of the cryptex and a reproduction of Robert Langdon’s journal featured in the film. Hidden inside the cryptex is a clue and a chance to win a trip to Europe and other great treasures. Once unlocked, the cryptex can be customized and reused with the user’s own secret code. Robert Langdon’s journal is a full-sized movie prop reproduction containing notes, symbols and codes used to decipher the truth behind the Da Vinci Code."

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    ...and I guess an extended cut in a couple of months, even though some other countries (e.g. Germany, Australia, Hong Kong) are getting it now. And I'm not even gonna go into the necessities (or lack thereof) of an extended cut.

4. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    oddly enough the link from hmr above says...

"There are more than 90 minutes of extras shot in high-definition exclusively for the two-disc special edition release, including individual pieces on stars Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou and author Dan Brown, a look at the locations and cities where the film was shot, interviews on how the cast felt working near the Mona Lisa, a two-part discussion with director Ron Howard on the challenges of bringing the book to the screen and more. "

what about the movie

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hopefully those hi-def extras will be anamorphic for a change. Somebody at Sony needs to figure out that if people are watching anamorphic movies, they're generally watching the extras on the same TV.

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    has anyone seen the cover art

looks like she's having her nose wiped by the sheet of paper.

7. CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1 Stunt Coordinator

Bruce Campbell
    why has only Australia got the extended version? ( 17 minutes longer) what is Sony playing at? i thought this extended edition would be available worldwide...

8. CULTMAN1

Bruce Campbell
    I believe Germany has this too as an extended version .....

9. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

The extended version is available in all regions except R1, it appears. Sony aren't the kings of double dipping for nothing.

10. CULTMAN1

Bruce Campbell
    it is not available in region 2 UK!!!

11. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Looking forwards to playing the film via the Lucasfilm THX in October, when it arrives on region 2 DVD. I’ve heard the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer which was, Just Bloody Loud.

I heard it first on Classic FM, and liked it so much I brought the CD, Simon Bates who does Saturday at the Movies on Classic FM, from 5pm to 7pm every Saturday, commented that the censors asked for the dynamic range too be reduced has it was REAL LOUD! It’s not often the composers score is reduced, but in the case of The Da Vinci Code it was very loud and very cool in the low end!

12. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

What crap. This movie was meant to be longer. The cut releases was too short and made the story more "forced."

13. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

Just buy the cheaper R4. Sony dual codes their DVDs R2/4, so you'll end up with the same disc anyway when it's released in the UK.

14. CULTMAN1

Bruce Campbell
    I see the US has a SE box set is this the longer directors cut?
    I nthe meantime I have ordered the Australian extended edition for myself and customers...

15. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

There's also a 2-Disc R3 version with the extended cut AND DTS audio. It's also NTSC and can be bought from CD-Wow.

16. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    And it's only $14.95, if you use the appropriate rebate link [​IMG]

To answer CULTMAN1's question, R1 only gets the theatrical cut (at least for now). And that includes the SE box.

17. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    Just watched the extended cut. I have only seen the theatrical version once and could not put my finger on particular new scenes, so all I can really say is that they were well integrated into the film The conversation between Langdon, Teabing and Neaveu when they first meet seems much longer, and there is also a scene where Neuveu and Langdon confront a security guard in the Louvre before their escape and threaten to break one of the paintings if he doesn't put his gun down (doesn't really work that bit I didn't think).

I enjoyed this a lot more the second time anyway as I was a little disappointed with this the first time.

I dont know how long the theatrical version was but this came to 167 minutes including credits.

18. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Any idea if there is a R0 NTSC of the Extended Cut anywhere to be had?

19. andrew markworthy

What have Germany and Australia done to deserve this? It's long enough in the R2 Brit version with PAL speedup. [​IMG]

Sorry, you might have gathered that I'm not totally enamoured with this movie. [​IMG] I've seen the R2 version which (I think) has fewer extras than the R1 release (or maybe not - to be honest, by the time I got to the extras disc I was losing the will to live). IMHO, the transfer of the movie on R2 is okay, but not demonstration quality. The soundtrack is very bass-heavy.

20. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Whoa, thanks for the info!