SPHE Press Release: The Cutting Edge: Going For The Gold

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    JUST IN TIME FOR THE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES

The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold

- Love is More Slippery than Ice This March-

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (November 30, 2005) – A perfect score! Couples figure skating has never looked cooler when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment returns to the rink just in time for the 2006 Winter Games with the release of The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold on DVD. Christy Carlson Romano (The Even Stevens Movie, Disney Channel’s “Kim Possible”), Scott Thompson Baker (Mr. Deeds, TV’s “All My Children” and “The Bold and the Beautiful”) and Ross Thomas (What’s Bugging Seth) deliver the performance of a lifetime in this crowd-captivating romance where winning an Olympic gold is a long shot, and falling in love seems downright impossible. This heartwarming sequel to The Cutting Edge skates into stores March 28 with an SLP of $24.96.

Synopsis:

Competition continues when Jackie Dorsey (Romano), the feisty and beautiful daughter of Olympic figure skating pair Doug Dorsey and Kate Moseley (from the original The Cutting Edge), reluctantly teams up with rugged and carefree inline skater Alex Harrison (Thomas) to pursue her own gold medal.

The skating is anything but smooth as Jackie and Alex begin training for their Olympic debut – and it soon becomes obvious that the biggest thing tripping the stubborn couple up is each other. Tension heats up on and off the ice as their growing feelings for one another threaten to melt their cold disdain.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

· Widescreen Presentation (1.78 aspect ration)
    · Audio Commentary with Director and Cast
    · Movie Montage with Music by Christy Carlson Romano
    · Photo Gallery
    · Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital), French (Dolby Surround)
    · Subtitles: English, French, Closed Captions

The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold has a run time of 99 minutes and is rated PG-13. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 13349
    DVD UPC Code: 043396133495
    DVD Order Date: 1/5/06
    DVD SLP: $24.96

2. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

There are so many things wrong with the concept of this sequel that I don't know where to start.

Thanks for the heads' up, Ron. Disturbing.

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

4. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

I love this movie and bought it on release day, but I admit I always have to wash away the sweetness of this movie with whiskey or something afterwards. [​IMG]

The original definitely sold huge-- huger than I expected; I was shocked yesterday to find out that the film has a not only a soundtrack CD, but also a Deluxe Edition soundtrack out on CD.

Not only is the idea contrived, but unless they play some fun time travel games, the girl meeting her intended has to be about 12 or 13, even if Doug and Kate spawned immediately after winning the gold. Not sure early teen romance will carry the "edge" that will be as compelling as the original.

My wife said we should get it just to laugh at it, but it seems like letting any of my money travel that way would be giving positive reinforcement to Bad Bad People.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I don't know if I want to see this. I definitely love the first movie, so perhaps I should avoid this like the plague. I can't believe these 'direct-to-DVD' releases lately. We have this, "The Net 2.0", "Single White Female 2" and lest we forget, "American Pie: Band Camp". It seems to me like these studios are trying to make a quick buck by making a movie and slapping a familiar title on it with the hope that people will buy 'the name'. I've never seen these direct releases, so I can't honestly comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the films themselves. In my eyes, it's just a way to make a buck by releasing low budget movies under familiar titles.

6. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I love "The Cutting Edge". An even bigger insult than this "sequel" is that they are re-releasing the original ("The Gold Medal Edition", because you can't do an SE any longer without giving it some silly name) alongside it's sequel in full frame. At least, according to the announcement I saw at dvdanswers.com. I'm hoping that's wrong - it makes no sense. The direct-to-video sequel is 16:9 while they rerelease the original (which previously had an anamorphic release) in 4:3??

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

DVD Empire lists the two new discs as the sequel being full frame and the original's new SE as widescreen. I hope they are correct.