1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: The Cary Grant Boxed Set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 28, 2005.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Would definitely pick it up it it has previous extras and restored transfers.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Eric Peterson
    Has anyone layed their hands on one of these yet?

I'm interested if the transfer are new and improved, but otherwise I'll probably pass.

3. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

Can anyone confirm if extras have been dropped or the transfers improved?

4. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

dvd beaver has a comparison up...slightly better video quality. all the features remain excet some close captions apparently, including commentary on his girl friday

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Gary has some screenshots here and speculates that the footage in The Awful Truth is restored, but I'm still waiting for someone with the LD to confirm his suspicions.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    DELETED!

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Eric,

I hope you didn't delete info about whether or not the Awful Truth now has the missing footage. [​IMG]

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    Nope!

I misread a comment, and thought that the commentary was dropped from "His Girl Friday".

I have only seen "The Awful Truth" once and did not even know that there was missing footage.

9. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

All except His Girl Friday have a trailer for an upcoming
    Frank Capra Box set. Like this most of the films are already on DVD. New to DVD are Platinum Blonde and American Madness. The other films are It Happened One Night, Mr Deeds Goes to Town, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, and You Can't Take It with You. I am guessing His Girl Friday is exactly the same as the previous release with no new extras.
    All the extras on His Girl Friday are copy write 1999.

10. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Capra's PLATINUM BLONDE is already available on dvd. The new ones will probably be AMERICAN MADNESS and THE MIRACLE WOMAN.

11. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    The Capra set isn't going to include "Lost Horizon"?

12. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

The trailer does not mention "Miracle Woman" or "Lost Horizon". Nor does it mention "Lady For A Day" which Sony should own since they own the UA library. When "Lady For a Day" was remade as "Pocket Full of Miracles ", UA got the rights to Lady For a Day. Lady For a day was released by Image on DVD a few years ago and on MGM/UA on VHS a few years before that. I guess like the Cary Grant set there will be only one new to DVD movie on the Capra set.

Remember not every Columbia Cary Grant movie is in the box set. The Howards of Virgina, Penny Serenade, and Walk Don't Run are Columbia Cary Grant films not in the box set. The Capra box will not be complete either
    I guess.

13. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    The version of "The Awful Truth" in the box set is missing the same bit of footage as the older single-disc release. Some may think the small amount is insignificant, but for me it spoils one of the most hilarious moments in the film. It involves an awkward meeting in a night club that Grant orchestrates between himself and his slightly-tawdry date, Dixie, and his ex-wife (Irene Dunne) and her new beau, a clueless Ralph Bellamy. The brief scene plays out in silence, with everything conveyed in the plastered-on, insincere smiles on Grant's and Dunne's faces, the mystified reactions of the other two, and impeccably choreographed action between Grant and Dunne. Here's how it plays complete on the old laserdisc:

Grant, after all are seated around the table: "My, Isn't this cozy?" Cut to:

Shot 1: Dunne and Grant look at each other, then in perfect sync, both turn to gaze at:

Shot 2: Dixie, who smiles and shrugs ingenuously.

Shot 3: Dunne and Grant, still looking at Dixie, then, again all in perfect sync, look at each other, then turn to look at:

Shot 4: Ralph Bellamy, whose face registers total mystification as to what's going on.

Shot 5: Dunne and Grant, still looking at Bellamy, then turn and look at each other again. Finally, Grant drops his eyes and says, "Well, um... so you two are going to get married?"

The segment starts at 27:28 on both DVDs, and plays as follows:

Shot 1
    Shot 4
    Shot 5

As I said, it may look like a minor detail in print, but in reality it destroys the careful rhythm and progression, turning a laugh-out-loud moment into, at best, a moderate smile-inducer.

On the laserdisc, shot 2 has obvious film and soundtrack damage.

Phil Menard likes this.
  14. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

That's interesting info, Paul. I just saw this film for the first time a few weeks ago on TCM. I wonder whether or not they aired the correct version?

15. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Does anyone know whether any of the R2 releases of 'The
    Awful Truth' contain the shots missing from the R1
    release?

16. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered this from Amazon at 36% off -- $31.99. Doesn't really matter that I already have a couple of the individual titles at that price.

Looking forward to seeing Holiday. Glad to be able to cross it off the "when, oh when" list.

17. Richard Matich

Richard Matich Stunt Coordinator

I had a mad impulse and got the set at Best Buy! [​IMG] All the transfers are superb and the audio is one of the best of any classic set from my ears. The only downer is that its suppiments are not very good. I hope there are better on the Frank Capra set. I'm not hopeful about it though. [​IMG] Does anyone know when the Capra set will be out?