Press Release SPHE Press Release: Spider-Man: Homecoming (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    That makes sense then. Universal's domestic home 3D policy is inconsistent, but it can probably best be summed up as: "If the film was a hit, we'll release the 3D disc; if the film flopped or is perceived to have under-performed, it's 2D only on disc."

2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I've bought 3D Blu-rays for movies that bombed (or sucked) simply because they were in 3D. And I don't even look at 2D-only releases for 3D films. So I guess I don't fit into Universal's plan.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    With respect, my point of view is that all films who were released theatrically in 3D should be made available for home viewing in 3D. This is especially true for films completed in the modern era where no restoration work is required, and it's simply a matter of converting one video format into another. I liked the latest Resident Evil in 3D and it seemed sufficiently bright in the IMAX 3D presentation I attended. RealD presentations are a lot more hit-or-miss, so if you saw it in a non-IMAX theater, I can understand that the presentation may not have properly reflected how the film was intended to be seen.

According to the Digital Bits, it's Lionsgate in the U.S. Lionsgate no longer supports 3D domestically in the US, so there's even less of a chance of a domestic 3D disc if it's with Lionsgate than Universal. I find it odd that the Digital Bits is speculating that there will be an Amazon retailer exclusive 3D copy. Lionsgate doesn't support 3D anymore. Lionsgate will not be releasing the disc in 3D. No other studio may release it in the U.S., since Lionsgate has the rights here. Therefore, the disc will not be released in 3D domestically. The Digital Bits should know this even better than I do at this point. I worry I spend perhaps too much time complaining about them, but it's like seeing one of your favorite fancy magazines turn into a cheap tabloid. They used to be an informative website with accurate information, interesting opinion pieces, and good interaction between themselves and their readers. Nowadays, it feels like every post begins with a two paragraph "please, buy crap from our links!" notice and a bunch of press release copy and pastes without proofreading, and then some opinions that wouldn't really pass the smell test... and they get into arguments with their readers on Facebook and are snarky when you email them privately. I understand that the business is changing and it's harder to make a living, but alienating the few remaining readers doesn't necessarily strike me as a brilliant strategy.

At any rate... Valerian is gonna be an import for me, Resident Evil 7 will be an import, and it seems incredibly likely that Spidey will be Sony's last domestic 3D disc.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

From the press release in my email box:

"The visually striking science fiction adventure Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets comes to Digital HD November 7 and 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD November 21 from Lionsgate."

5. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    So it is. I read somewhere that it was Universal.