SPHE Press Release: SOAP - The Complete Fourth Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The Final Season of the Emmy® Award-Winning Sitcom Starring Billy Crystal, Robert Guillaume, Kathryn Helmond and Richard Mulligan

SOAP:
    THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON

Arrives October 11 in a Three-Disc DVD Set

Culver City, CA (August 1, 2005) – Soap – the controversial, groundbreaking series starring Billy Crystal (Analyze That, Monsters, Inc.), Robert Guillaume (“Benson”), Kathryn Helmond (“Who’s the Boss”) and Richard Mulligan (“Empty Nest”) – returns for the last time when the fourth and final season debuts on DVD October 11. Beloved by fans and critics alike, Soap’s talented ensemble cast, quirky characters and outrageous storylines helped make it one of ABC’s top-rated shows and the winner of four Emmy Awards. SOAP: THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON includes all 22 episodes from that year and will be available for $29.95 SLP from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

A primetime satire of daytime melodramas, Soap took viewers into the homes of not one but two of the most dysfunctional families ever – the wealthy Tate family and the blue-collar Campbell family. Secrets, scandals and bizarre mishaps abound as the two class-divided families try their best to co-exist. Created by Susan Harris (“Golden Girls”), Soap fearlessly tackled many of TV’s taboos with a clever combination of sharp humor and engaging drama. The series featured one of television’s first openly gay characters and addressed a variety of diverse topics such as infidelity, murder, organized crime and alien abduction.

The comical saga of the Tates and Campbells continues in the fourth season when Jessica is kidnapped after crossing paths with a Latin American revolutionary, Danny discovers who his real father is and Mary fears that she may have an alien baby. Soap received four Emmy nominations for this fourth season, including one for Outstanding Comedy Series.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    •Digitally mastered audio and video
    •Full Screen Presentations
    •Audio: English
    •Bonus previews

Not Rated / Color
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 523 Minutes
    Catalog # 11754
    UPC Code: 0-433396-11754-9
    Order Date: 9/8/05
    SLP: $29.95

2. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Ooh, I'm getting all lathered up just thinking about it. A great show that didn't run long enough. If I remember correctly it was eventually cancelled in part due to protests that it was immoral. Frankly, that's the best part of it. Affairs, homosexuality and exorcism. OH MY !

One bad thing about the series ending the way it did was that there was no resolution to the stories. The best example of this was when Jessica was put in front of a firing squad in the last minutes of the final episode. I do believe that you hear (but don't see) the gunshots. You don't know for sure that she dies. But I think she later made a guest appearance on Benson. As a ghost. I don't like that one bit. Jessica was the heart of the show.

Pass the Soap, please !

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    David, gosh shakes...SPOILER TAGS!!!

UGH! anyway, I'm getting this sight UNSEEN.

I'm dying to know how this all ends up!
    it is too bad Soap didn't run longer.

I hope Benson DVD is not too far behind

4. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

It doesn't end. Nothing is solved. This is what happens when series end before the cast and crew realize they're going to be cancelled. If not for the eventual movie, Gilligan and the gang would still be on the Island, and the Robinsons are STILL lost in space!

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    well, I meant from ending of season 3.
    I knew it doesn't end end, but how the season 3 stuff continues on

6. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

7. Taylor

Taylor Auditioning

What's with Season 4? After episode 1, the "In The Lst Episode Of Soap...." seem to disappear. Are these syndicated cuts?