SPHE Press Release: Seinfeld: Season 7

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE POP CULTURE PHENOMENON RETURNS
    ON DVD NOVEMBER 21

Join Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards For More Yada Yada Yada

SEINFELD: SEASON 7

DVD Contains All 24 Episodes in a Four-Disc Boxed Set
    With An Incredible Array of Bonus Features and Classic Episodes Including “The Soup Nazi” and “The Sponge”

Culver City, CA (September 11, 2006) – The television show that changed the face of comedy is back on DVD November 21 when Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards return for Seinfeld: Season 7. The four-disc boxed set from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment includes all 24 episodes from the seventh season, when the sitcom was at its crest of creativity and popularity, generating such classic episodes as “The Soup Nazi,” “The Sponge” and “The Rye.”

The Seinfeld: Season 7 DVD boxed set also contains extensive bonus material, including two all-new animated “Sein-Imation” features, with Seinfeld scenes re-imagined with original cast voices. The Seinfeld: Season 7 DVD boxed set also includes all new interviews with the cast and creators, commentaries on select episodes with creators and cast members, factoid track on each episode, bloopers, deleted scenes and never-before-seen stand up routines. The set will be available for $49.95 SRP.

Guest stars this season include Jerry Stiller (TV’s “The King of Queens”), Academy Award® winner Marisa Tomei (Best Supporting Actress, My Cousin Vinny), Debra Messing (TV’s “Will & Grace”), Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, 50 First Dates), Janeane Garofalo (The Truth About Cats and Dogs, TV’s “The Larry Sanders Show”), and Larry David (TV’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm”).

Created and executive produced by Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David, Seinfeld premiered on NBC on July 5, 1989. Following the professional and personal lives of four single friends living on Manhattan’s Upper West Side -- Jerry Seinfeld, a stand up comedian; his childhood friend, George Costanza (Alexander); his ex-girlfriend, Elaine Benes, (Louis-Dreyfus) and his wacky neighbor, Cosmo Kramer (Richards) -- the sitcom about nothing was an immediate critical hit and the core of NBC’s “Must See TV” campaign, regularly drawing more than 30 million viewers each week. The series was nominated for 15 Golden Globes (winning 3) and 68 Emmy Awards (winning 10) over the course of its nine-season, 180-episode run.

For season seven, Seinfeld was nominated for eleven Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actor (Seinfeld), and two Outstanding Supporting Actor nods (Alexander and Richards), with Julia Louis-Dreyfus taking home the statuette for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

For a show about nothing, Seinfeld: Season 7 has a whole lot of something. The season opens with George’s engagement to Susan (Heidi Swedberg), a decision he almost immediately regrets; Elaine is banned from the infamous Soup Nazi’s restaurant, must deem whether her dates are “sponge-worthy” and has a run-in with her “bra-less” rival Sue Ellen (Brenda Strong from “Desperate Housewives”); Kramer takes on the cable company; while complications ensue when Jerry buys his parents a new Cadillac and meets his female equivalent (Janeane Garofalo).

DVD Special Features Include:

Blooper Reel
    11 Deleted Scenes
    Commentary on “The Postponement” with Jason Alexander and Julia Louis Dreyfus
    Commentary on “The Soup Nazi” with Jerry Seinfeld, Director Andy Ackerman and Writer Spike Feresten
    Commentary on “The Secret Code” with writers Alec Berg and Jeff Schaffer
    Commentary on “The Pool Guy” with Jerry Seinfeld, writer David Mandel and director Andy Ackerman
    Commentary on “The Sponge” with writer Peter Mehlman
    Commentary on “The Gum” with writers Tom Gammill and Max Pross
    Commentary on “The Shower Head” with Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Commentary on “The Doll” with writers Tom Gammill and Max Pross
    Commentary on “The Friars Club” with writer David Mandel
    Commentary on “The Calzone” with with Jerry Seinfeld, director Andy Ackerman and writers Jeff Schaffer and Alec Berg
    Featurettes: Inside Look on “The Engagement,” “The Maestro,” “The Soup Nazi,” “The Soup Nazi,” “The Secret Code,” “The Pool Guy,” “The Gum,” “The Rye,” “The Caddy,” “The Cadillac,” “The Friars Club,” “The Wig Master,” “The Calzone,” “The Bottle Deposit,” and “The Invitations”
    Featurette: Larry David’s Farewell
    Featurette: Queen of the Castle: The Elaine Benes Story
    Featurette: Sein-Imation “Dr. Cosmo on Marriage & Family”
    Featurette: Sein-Imation “George & the Whale”
    Featurette: Where’s Larry?: Seinfeld’s Secret Guest Star
    Factoid tracks on all 24 episodes
    Digitally Mastered Audio and Video
    Full Screen Presentations
    Audio: English (Stereo), French
    Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
    Bonus Previews
    Closed Captioned

Seinfeld: Season 7 episodes include:

The Engagement
    The Postponement
    The Maestro
    The Wink
    The Hot Tub
    The Soup Nazi
    The Secret Code
    The Pool Guy
    The Sponge
    The Gum
    The Rye
    The Caddy
    The Seven
    The Cadillac – Part 1
    The Cadillac – Part 2
    The Shower Head
    The Doll
    The Friars Club
    The Wig Master
    The Calzone
    The Bottle Deposit – Part 1
    The Bottle Deposit - Part II
    The Wait Out
    The Invitation

BROADCAST YEAR: 1995 – 1996

Seinfeld: Season 7 DVD has a run time of approximately 541 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/index.html.

DVD Catalog: 15984
    UPC Code: 0-43396-15948-8
    Order Date: 10/19/06
    SLP: $49.95

2. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

ugh!!! we waited a whole year just for 7? a season that SHOULD'VE been out in May?

3. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Season 7 has many classic episodes. To maximize sales Sony probably decided to release it at Xmas time . Too bad there is no gift set this year. Perhaps next year they will release the final two seasons and/or a complete series set.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

yep, I am looking forward to 7, but it's so funny how fast the sets were coming out at first and now a bunch of other shows in my collection are quickly catching up to it, when Seinfeld had them in the dust last year.

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Meh, even though it's a really lengthy wait it's better this way. When they do two seasons at once it's too large a pill to swallow. I'd rather have one every six months or so, but 24 episodes will tide me over and give me something to look forward to.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

true, if Sony was still doing this at a six-month interval, I'd be a little less agitated. I think most of us were planning on finishing our Seinfeld collections sooner before later

7. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

There's only two seasons left so I'm sure Sony wants to pace them for maximum sales. As long as they keep coming out, I'm happy to wait.

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

There is a lot of stuff I want to get in November.

Quite honestly, I am relieved there isn't going to be an $80 gift set this year.

I would imagine that any DVD product released in May won't sell as well as a product released in November. Hence the reason I think they waited and released this set now.

It is possible that they found consumers didn't want to purchase two seasons at once.

Personally, I think that seasons 4 and 7 were perfect releases by themselves because they both symbolize two of the very best seasons that "Seinfeld" had to offer.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's a real good point. [​IMG]

Like others, I'd rather see them at six month intervals but next November they will release the last two seasons... I hope.

10. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I hope so, too.

I am a completionist like the rest of you and would love to be done with "Seinfeld" this November, but there is something every week in November that I want ("JAG" season 2, "NCIS" season 2, "Alias" Season 5, and "Seinfeld" season 7). Plus, "24" season 5 is on my list in early December.

Plus, I am sure there are things in the following weeks that'll be released that haven't been annouced yet -- "Miami Vice" season 3 as an example.

11. Peter Raber

Peter Raber Stunt Coordinator

I have no complaints as I haven't even finished my season 4 set yet. I would like to have them all just to HAVE them, but I can easily wait one more year to finish it up. Now, if they stretch this out over 2 years, then we'll have a problem, especially since season 9 is easily the worst season for the show. However, I am certain all involved know that already and are most probably packaging 8 and 9 together or at the very least releasing them at the same time.

I'll definitely buy season 9 when it comes out, but I don't remember laughing too much during that season and saying to myself many times that I was glad they decided to hang it up after that season. It was like watching a weekly train wreck.

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm also pretty happy that they aren't preparing a Giftset for this November....my wallet needs a little bit a of rest before the holiday shopping season begins. However, I do hope that we won't have to wait a whole year for the rest of the seasons either. I'm hoping that a Season 8/9 giftset will come out in the spring to wrap things up.

13. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

14. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I don't like what Michael Richards said and I've lost respect for him as a person but I am still gonna get season 7 (and 8 and 9) anyways, I love the show for the ensemble and the humor, not because of him alone

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This will have no significant effect on sales.

16. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Well the question is will Seasons 8 and 9 be held until Q4 2007?

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

After S4 sales didn't meet their goal, Sony has already decided to release Seinfeld only in November anyway.

18. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

I came into Seinfeld late. I always thought Seinfeld was one of the lamest stand up acts around so, after watching a couple episodes, I passed on the show when it first aired in '89.

It was only after watching Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO, and later buying all 5 season sets, that I began to really appreciate Larry David's sense of humor. Early this year, I needed a Larry David fix, so I decided to buy the first 2 seasons of Seinfeld when they were on sale. Now, I'm hooked and really enjoy the show, although I still find the Seinfeld stand up routines hard to swallow. Still, they make a nice contrast to the general wackiness and Davidness of the rest of the show.

Today, I picked up the last of the season sets (#3) I didn't have at Circuit City for $14.98 -- great price, by the way! I'll hold off on Season 7 until it's go on sale for under $20.00.

John