SPHE Press Release: Moonstruck: Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE THREE-TIME ACADEMY AWARD®-WINNING FILM STARRING CHER, OLYMPIA DUKAKIS AND NICOLAS CAGE RETURNS TO DVD

NOW THAT’S AMORE!

MOONSTRUCK: DELUXE EDITION

- The Classic Cher Comedy Comes To Deluxe Edition DVD April 18 Featuring All-New Widescreen Presentation, Bonus Features And Recipes -

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (February 6, 2006) – The three-time Oscar®-winning romantic comedy Moonstruck returns to DVD in a Deluxe Edition on April 18th from MGM Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Available for the first time in widescreen presentation, the Deluxe Edition DVD stars Cher (Mask, Mermaids) and Olympia Dukakis (The Thing About My Folks, Mighty Aphrodite) in Oscar-winning roles for “Best Actress in a Leading Role” and “Best Actress in a Supporting Role” respectively. The film’s all-star cast also includes Academy Award® winner Nicholas Cage (Leaving Las Vegas, Windtalkers) and Danny Aiello (The Professional, Do the Right Thing). Winner of an Academy Award® for “Best Original Screenplay” by John Patrick Shanley, Moonstruck is set in Brooklyn and centers around an “unlucky in love” widowed book-keeper (Cher) who is torn between her fiancé and his brother. Arriving just in time for Mother’s Day, the Deluxe Edition DVD includes hours of bonus features including new interviews with the cast and crew, making-of documentaries, tours of Little Italy, cooking lessons and more. This lighthearted look at love Italian-American style will be available on DVD April 18 for an SRP of $19.94.

Moonstruck captured the hearts of movie-goers and critics alike when it debuted in theaters, delivering more than $80 million in ticket sales in 1987. The success of this critically-acclaimed box office smash hit has continued with DVD sales. Released in 1998, Moonstruck is one of MGM’s most successful catalogue titles with more than one million units sold to date.

When the full moon casts its lunar spell over widowed bookkeeper Loretta’s (Cher) Brooklyn neighborhood, people behave in romantic, unpredictable ways in Moonstruck. Ready to move on after the death of her husband, Loretta agrees to marry pleasant and mild-mannered Jonny (Aiello) even though she does not love him. Historically “unlucky in love,” Loretta is convinced that marrying Johnny is the safe and sure thing to do - until Jonny goes to visit his dying mother in Italy, and she meets his estranged brother Ronny who tends the ovens in a neighborhood bakery. Moody and passionate, Ronny flies into a rage at the mention of his brother's name and falls hard for Loretta, sparking a torrid affair. Loretta finds herself "over the moon" in love with her future brother-in-law. Her dilemma in love, along with her passionate and hilariously eccentric family (Gardenia and Dukakis) make for an unforgettable film you’ll find “beguiling” (Time), “enchanting” (Newsweek) and “irresistible” (TV’s “Today Show”).

Directed and produced by Norman Jewison (Fiddler on the Roof, The Hurricane), Moonstruck was written by John Patrick Shanley (Alive, Live From Baghdad) and produced by Patrick J. Palmer (After the Sunset, Hellboy) and Bonnie Palef (Something to Believe In, Marvin’s Room).

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

Audio Commentary with Cher and Director Norman Jewison
    All-new Interviews with Cast and Crew
    ”Moonstruck: At the Heart of the Italian Family” Documentary
    “The Music of Moonstruck” Featurette
    ”Pasta to Pastries: The Art of Fine Italian Food” interactive tour of Little Italy and Cooking Lesson
    English 5.1 (Dolby Digital)
    French (Stereo Surround)
    Spanish (Mono)
    1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
    All-New Widescreen Presentation
    Includes Collectible Recipe Cards

Moonstruck: Deluxe Edition will be available for the first time in widescreen presentation, with a runtime of 102 minutes and is rated PG for adult situations and adult language. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 14312
    DVD UPC Code: 02761614312
    DVD Order Date: 3/9/06
    DVD SLP: $19.94

2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I just read in a local Brooklyn paper that the "Moonstruck house," used for exteriors in Brooklyn Heights, is on the market for about $5 million. [Interiors were shot in Toronto.] It beats a DVD for a souvenir of this much-loved movie, but perhaps it's a wee bit pricey. [​IMG]

3. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I must be blind, because I just read this post.
    I've been waiting for this wonderful movie to come out in a proper widescreen presentation for years and I'll definitely be picking it up when it comes out in April.
    Larry

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Bob!

My ex girlfriend's friend Dan used to own that house back in the 80's! Neighborhood was ALOT different then!

[​IMG] d

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Interestingly, Dave, The Brownstoner (a blog about Brooklyn brownstones, natch) reports that the house is still on the market--a surprise, given its notoriety and how hot that neighborhood is (plus, it has an actual garage). Something about the rooms being too small. What price Cher, say I?[​IMG]

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I got the screener today and will have my review posted next week.

7. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Same commentary track as the current DVD?

MC

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I don't have the original release, but I'm pretty sure it's the same. There are no new interviews with Nicholas Cage and Cher, so I'd be surprised if a new commentary was recorded. I'll try to verify it though.