SPHE Press Release: Midnight Movies Are Back

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 26, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    MIDNITE MOVIES ARE BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND WITH A PIRATE THEMED RELEASE ON JUNE 27

Pirate-Themed Films Feature Performances by Legendary Actors
    Louis Hayward, Patricia Medina and Charles Herbert

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (May 26, 2006) – A slate of four pirate-themed films starring some of Hollywood’s most unforgettable character actors will be released as double feature DVDs on June 27 as part of the Midnite Movies series from MGM Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. These releases will be available for $19.94 each and include the following titles:

· The Boy And The Pirates starring Charles Herbert (Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, Houseboat, My Three Sons), Joseph Turkel (Blade Runner, The Dark Side of the Moon, Miami Vice), Murvyn Vye (Gentle Ben, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Untouchables) and directed by Bert I. Gordon (Satan’s Princesses, Lets Do it!, The Big Bet).

· Crystalstone starring Laura Jane Goodwin (The Shellseekers, Sunchild), Edward Kelsey (Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Henry VIII), Frank Grimes (When the Sky Falls, It Can Be Done), Sydney Bromley (An American Werewolf in London, Dragonslayer) and directed by Antonio Pelaez, winner of the Worldfest Houston Gold Award for “Theatrical Feature Films, First Feature.”

· Fortunes of Captain Blood starring Louis Hayward (Lady in the Iron Mask, Terror in the Wax Museum), Patricia Medina (Snow White & The Three Stooges, The Killing of Sister George), George Macready (The Return of Count Yorga, Tora! Tora! Tora!), Alfonso Bedoya (The Big County, Ten Wanted Men) and directed by Gordon M. Douglas (Stagecoach, Tony Rome).

· Captain Pirate starring Louis Hayward (Lady in the Iron Mask, Terror in the Wax Museum), Patricia Medina (Snow White & The Three Stooges, The Killing of Sister George), John Sutton (Perry Mason, Rawhide) and directed by Ralph Murphy (Lady in the Iron Mask, The Lady and the Bandit).

MGM’s The Boy and the Pirates was originally released in 1960 and stars Charles Herbert as a young boy who wants to get away from his everyday normal life of school and parents. He dreams of pirate adventures until one day, he comes across a genie (Joseph Turkel) in a bottle who grants his wish of becoming a pirate. Before he knows it, he’s whisked back in time and on board a pirate ship captained by Bluebeard (Vye).

The Boy and the Pirates has a run time of 84 minutes and is Unrated.

Crystalstone is a sentimental children’s adventure that tells the tale of two orphans who escape their evil caretaker in search of a magic stone that holds the key to happiness. During their adventure, Nine-year old Pablo (Gupta) and his younger sister Maria (Goodwin) escape the fearsome metal hook of a pirate (Kelsey) and are helped along the way by the delightfully drunken Captain (Grimes) in their search of the treasure.

Crystalstone has a run time of 103 minutes and is rated PG.

The Boy and the Pirates & Crystalstone
    DVD Catalog #: 14973
    DVD UPC Code: 0-27616-14973-2
    DVD Order Date: 5/25/06
    DVD SRP: $19.94

Fortunes of Captain Blood was loosely based on the Rafael Sabatini novel of the same name. Louis Hayward stars as Irish doctor Peter Blood, who is exiled from England after treating the wounds of an enemy to the crown. Blood and several other outcasts turn to piracy and terrorizing merchant vessels for revenge, but on their trail is the Marquis de Riconete (Macready).

Fortunes of Captain Blood has a run time of 91 minutes and is Unrated.

Captain Pirate was also adapted from Rafael Sabatini’s novel of the same name and continues with the story of Peter Blood. Actor Louis Hayward returns as physician-turned-buccaneer Peter Blood, who has retired in the West Indies, and is shaken out of his complacency when he’s accused of returning to piracy. When given the chance to clear his name, Blood recruits his former crew to track down the villain who has pilfered his good name.

Captain Pirate has a run time of 85 minutes and is Unrated.

Fortunes of Captain Blood & Captain Pirate
    DVD Catalog #: 14971
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-14971-7
    DVD Order Date: 5/25/06
    DVD SRP: $19.94

2. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

Popular demand, eh? Nobody asked for these titles!

I eagerly await the next Midnight Movies press release.

3. George Reis

George Reis Stunt Coordinator

"Back by popular demand" yet where are the many dozens of titles we have been demanding?!!

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I notiice theyve got them at 'popular prices', too...
    Popular to them, maybe....

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

As much as I love pirates, those films are of no appeal to me - or anyone else I have read comments of on the web - and I am left wondering, "where are the many dozens of titles we have been demanding", if Sony realize that there is a "demand".

Horror, science fiction or fantasy films, please, Sony, not forgotten pirate kiddy flicks. Witchfinder General, The Damned and Taste of Fear would be a good start.

6. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Me too. Wake me up when this is over...

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    It's sad. Very sad.

8. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Let's not forget about FOOD OF THE GODS, THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE, TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, FUTUREWORLD and other AIP films from the 70's the control.

9. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This one came out on DVD last year.

I caught a very nice widescreen print of Futureworld on Showtime the other night. I wish I could believe that means a DVD is imminent, but with Sony, I can't.

10. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

Come on, guys...don't forget that these:

"Pirate-Themed Films Feature Performances by Legendary Actors
    Louis Hayward, Patricia Medina and Charles Herbert"[​IMG]

Who do they think they are dealing with here...a bunch of nitwits?

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

12. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    What do you bet these winners will get anamorphic transfers. [​IMG]

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

this press release may be even more laughable than the e-mail sent by LFL publicity to SW protesters.

14. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Well, it's a cinch Sony isn't hiring their Home Video staff out of film schools, but it would be nice if they would. I suspect no one in these jobs wants to be known as an old movie geek. That would be just too not-cool.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

15. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Well, count me in for the two Capatain Blood movies. Sure, they're potboilers but they're infinitely enjoyable in their B movie way. And I have a great affection for their casts: Louis Hayward (Rene Clair's And Then There Were None, Fritz Lang's House By The River, James Whale's Man In The Iron Mask, Edgar Ulmer's Pirates Of Capri), Patricia Medina (Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin, John Farrow's Plunder Of The Sun) and George Maccready (who can forget him in Gilda?)

Hopefully, Greg, these films will NOT get anamorphic transfers as they were made prior to the wide screen debut of The Robe in 1953.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Crystalstone and Boy and the Pirates were from 1988 and 1960, respectively.

17. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I was referring to the Captain Blood movies, Greg, I should have made myself clearer.

18. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

This blows, screw it. I am gonna shell out the 35.00 bucks for BLOODY MAMA from Japan. I know you sci fi and horror guys are waiting for your titles. but but what about the drive -in exploitation classics like BOBBIE JO AND THE OUTLAW and biker flicks like SAVAGE SEVEN? what a screw job. THE MIDNITE MOVIES collection was a great bunch of B movies at good prices this is some exec at Sony trying to cash in on Pirates OTC sequels. {how many Pirate movie threads have you seen?} and don't get me started on the Leone Dollars movies. up yours Sony!!!

19. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I know, Thomas. My first post was a stupid joke that I should probably have foregone. I don't want to derail the thread, though there doesn't seem to be a lot of happiness about the release anyway. [​IMG]

20. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I want the classy sci-fi and horror b-movies back now.