SPHE Press Release: Midnight Cowboy Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Midnight Cowboy is still heartbreaking – and timeless” – The New York Observer

Three-Time Academy Award® Winning Classic Starring Jon Voight And Dustin Hoffman Comes to DVD from MGM And Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Midnight Cowboy Collector’s Edition

- Available on 2-Disc DVD Set March 7 -

Culver City, CA (January 16, 2006) – On March 7, MGM and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are proud to present the provocative story of two outcasts who develop an unlikely friendship through the discovery of their shared dreams and failed ambitions in the critically acclaimed classic, MIDNIGHT COWBOY as a 2-Disc COLLECTOR’S EDITION. This 1969 Academy Award® winner for Best Picture, Best Director (John Schlesinger) and Best Screenplay, also boasts Oscar® nominated performances by Dustin Hoffman (The Graduate, Meet the Fockers) and Jon Voight (Anaconda, The Manchurian Candidate), neither of whom have “ever been better on the screen then they are here" (Chicago Tribune). With its controversial, unflinching look at the harsh realities of life on the streets, this transcendent, compassionate masterpiece turns the tables on the typical Hollywood happy ending, leaving viewers shocked and compelled.

The digitally remastered MIDNIGHT COWBOY: COLLECTOR’S EDITION comes as a special 2-disc set loaded with added value features such as new documentaries and interviews with Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight and more. This one-of-a-kind collector’s edition also features a tribute to Director John Schlesinger as well as collectible postcards.

MIDNIGHT COWBOY: COLLECTOR’S EDITION is available on March 7 for the SLP of $29.95.

MIDNIGHT COWBOY: COLLECTOR’S EDITION Synopsis

Synopsis: Joe Buck (Voight) a good-looking, naively charming Texas "cowboy" who's convinced that he's the salvation of many love-starved New York women, makes his way to the Big Apple to seek his fortune. Trouble is, his well-to-do clientele never materializes - and the only wealth he finds is in the friendship of Ratso Rizzo (Hoffman), a scrounging, sleazy, small-time con man with big dreams. Living on the tattered fringe of society, these two outcasts develop an unlikely bond - one that transcends their broken dreams and get-rich-quick schemes and makes Midnight Cowboy "that rarest of things...every bit as moving now as it was when it was [first] released" (Premiere Magazine).

DVD Bonus Features

· Audio Commentary by Producer Jerome Hellman
    · "After Midnight: Reflecting on the Classic 35 Years Later" Featurette
    · "Controversy and Acclaim" Featurette
    · "Celebrating Schlesinger" Featurette
    · Collectible Midnight Cowboy Postcards
    · Photo Gallery

Rated: R
    Color / Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 113
    DVD Catalog # 13598
    DVD UPC Code: 0-27616-13598-8
    DVD Order Date: 2/02/06
    DVD SLP: $29.95

2. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

I came across this while browsing Amazon a couple weeks ago. I'm surprised they're only now getting around to a press release.

I always thought this was an X-rated film? Did the MPAA rerate it for a rerelease, or is that a misprint?

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Hmmmm. Two things; anyone else think Sony are pushing the price envelope a little here? I can't find it on-line for less than $21 and that doesn't include shipping.

The second thing involves the extras. When this was announced (somewhat prematurely it seems now) on the HMV UK website last year, the specs were:

Audio Commentary By Jon Voight, Dustin Hoffman And Producer Jerome Hellman
    After Midnight: Reflecting On A Classic 35 Years Later - Documentary
    Midnight Cowboy Revisited - Documentary
    Celebrating Schlesinger - Featurette
    The X Factor - Featurette
    Everybody's Still Talkin - Featurette

I think I'll wait and see what transpires in R2...

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure that it was re-rated at a later date. This film debuted at the dawn of the ratings system, and a lot of films were rated improperly. This is probably the most famous of those.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I believe it was re-rated as "R" after it triumphed at the Oscars.

6. Muir Hewitt

Muir Hewitt Extra

This movie has always been a favourite of mine. What a loss to the world of the cinema John Schlesinger's death was!

The touching end to the movie always brings a tear to my eye and I shall certainly be buying this title in fact I've just pre ordered it!

7. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

Jerome Hellman once claimed in an interview that the MPAA was willing all along to give it an 'R', but that he insisted on the 'X' out of a sense of civic responsibility -- he didn't think children should be allowed to see it.

After the movie was showered with Oscars, he was persuaded to accept the 'R' in order to broaden its appeal.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I've never seen this film but always wanted to. I hope it comes to HD sooner than later...I'm starting to "wait for HD" when I see new DVDs come to market...

9. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I've recorded Midnight Cowboy in High-Def off of HDNet. I just bought the 2-disk CE today.

Do you think I love this film?

YEAH.

[​IMG]

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

DeeF, wrote:

Do you mean to say that you now in possession of the set, or that you pre-ordered it? If it is the former, please tell us more - how's the transfer; sound; extras? [​IMG]

This release will complement a slew of 1967-1976 Second Golden Era American film masterpieces recieving long-overdue Special Edition DVD releases. Bravo!

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

Not really. Thirty bucks retail for a two-disc (loaded) set isn't bad, and actually is less than those two-disc collector's sets such as MASTER AND COMMANDER that come out at forty!

You should be able to get MIDNIGHT COWBOY for twenty somewhere.

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Great movie, one of my favs.

I saw it a couple times on HD-Net, so I don't really feel the need to run out and buy this new version. Yes, it was overdue. Too long overdue for me.