1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: Ishtar

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Undeniable hilarity”

- Mike Clark, USA Today

“A smart, generous, genuinely funny affair”

- Sheila Benson, Los Angeles Times

The Notorious 1980s Epic Screwball Comedy

Never Released on DVD, Leap-frogs to Blu-ray!

ISHTAR

Starring Oscar® Winning Actors Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman

Arrives for the First Time on Blu-ray Disc™ January 4th

[​IMG]

Culver City, Calif. (Oct. 25, 2010) Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings the highly-anticipated, hilarious1987 spy misadventure Ishtar to Blu-ray Disc for the first time on January 4, 2011. This outrageous satirical comedy directed by Elaine May (Oscar® Nominee for Best Adapted Screenplay forHeaven Can Wait, 1978) and starring Warren Beatty (Oscar Winner for Best Director, Reds, 1981) and Dustin Hoffman (Oscar Winner for Best Actor,Rain Man, 1988 and Oscar Winner for Best Actor, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1979) was never released on DVD and now leap-frogs onto the high definition format for the suggested retail price of $24.95.

Beatty and Hoffman star as down-and-out, past-their-prime singer-songwriters Lyle Rogers and Chuck Clarke, who refuse to believe they are anything but undiscovered musical geniuses. With no job prospects on the horizon in New York, they travel to the Far East to play a gig in a Moroccan hotel, but end up amidst an international crossfire during a layover in the fictional Middle Eastern state of Ishtar between the country’s government, the CIA, and left-wing revolutionary rebels.

With a song in their hearts, the CIA on their backs, a gorgeous revolutionary in their arms and two nations after their heads, Lyle Rogers (Warren Beatty) and Chuck Clarke (Dustin Hoffman) find adventure, romance and comedy on the road to Ishtar.

Ishtar has a running time of 107 minutes and is Rated PG-13.

Visit Sony Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

“Oscar®” is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Ishtar

Catalog #: 36769

UPC Code: 043396367692

Order Date: 12/2/2010

SRP: $24.95

2. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Xenia
    Will it include the Paul Simon music video, you can call me al ? Sorry I couldnt resist.

3. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    SONY's Desert Classic film comes to blu-ray...No it's not "Lawrence of Arabia" it's "Ishtar"

Wouldn't mind except Sony seems to only release about half a dozen catalog titles a year, does this mean we're getting the musical remake of "Lost Horizon" next?

by the way...Columbia Pictures released 3 films which won the Oscar for Best Picture in the 60's..none of them are on Blu-ray

Maybe it is "Lawrence of Arabia" and SONY is just filling orders before the big announcement

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Of all the titles they can release on BRD, they release this title.

Crawdaddy

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

So this gets a Blu-ray release, and 2009's Bright Star does not? I guess this will sell more copies (???) I realize that every film has its fans and that at least theoretically every film should receive the best treatment possible, but this seems like a puzzling choice.

- Walter.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I purposely watched a lot of really terrible movies in my teens just to see how bad they were. I rented this film and made it in about an hour before I gave up in agony, and I made it through some real clunkers all the way through. I can't believe the person who writes press releases for Sony actually typed that massive line of BS without breaking out in laughter, which would be the first time the film did that. It was an epic all right, an epic fail.

What's next, a deluxe edition of Leonard Part 6?

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think that's the same basic reason that it's coming out on Blu-ray. Like Troll 2 being on Blu-ray, it has 'fans' because it's bad and there's the "Is it as bad as they say?" curiosity factor associated with it too.