SPHE Press Release: I Walk The Line/Stagecoach

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE ORIGINAL MAN IN BLACK IS BACK AS
    JOHNNY CASH WALKS THE LINE ON DVD

I WALK THE LINE
    and
    STAGECOACH

Two Early Films Featuring Country Music Legend Johnny Cash
    Are Rounded Up on DVD March 7

For Music Fans, A Treasure Trove of Original Cash Music Highlighted in Both Offerings

Culver City, Ca. (January 16, 2005) --- Country music legend Johnny Cash and his rich treasure of music are featured in one of the few theatrical-based offerings since his death on two films debuting on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on March 7. The features include I WALK THE LINE, a well received, classic western film starring Gregory Peck, and STAGECOACH, a made-for-television gem based on the John Ford feature film classic.

I WALK THE LINE, directed by John Frankenheimer, features an all-star line up, including Peck, Tuesday Weld, Charles Durning and Estelle Parsons. Released in 1970, it spotlights Johnny Cash’s early music career throughout the film. STAGECOACH, filmed for the small screen in 1986, stars three country music icons, Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, plus June Carter Cash, Mary Crosby, Kris Kristofferson and John Schneider.

Among Cash’s most memorable record hits are “Cry, Cry, Cry/Hey Porter” (1955), “Ring of Fire” (1963), “Man In Black” (1971), “Folsom Prison Blues” (1968), “I Walk The Line” (1956), “Sunday Morning Coming Down” (1970” and “A Boy Named Sue” (1969).

About his signature song, “I Walk The Line,” Cash once said, “The lyrics came as fast as I could write, and in twenty minutes I had it finished."

Synopsis:

I WALK THE LINE
    Gregory Peck plays a Southern sheriff who intends to bring moonshiner Ralph Meeker to justice. Instead, Peck falls in love with Meeker's nubile daughter Tuesday Weld, and arranges for the feds to keep their hands off Meeker's still. The sheriff is "rewarded" for this dereliction of duty when Meeker kills deputy Charles Durning. Even so, Peck leaves his wife in favor of Weld, who has fled the territory with her father. Having learned nothing from all this, Peck goes after Weld to beg her to stay with him. Even after the bloody climax, one suspects that Peck hasn't gotten the message. Not surprisingly, Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" is heard on the soundtrack at various crucial junctures.

STAGECOACH
    The outlaws of country music—including Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson—team up and head across the Southwestern desert braving Indians, brigands and conflict in this made-for television version of John Ford's classic film.

I WALK THE LINE and STAGECOACH are available in widescreen presentation (1.85 aspect ratio) and have a run time of 97 and 95 minutes, respectively. I WALK THE LINE is rated PG for some violence and sexual content and STAGECOACH is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

I WALK THE LINE
    DVD Catalog #: 14485
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-14485-9
    DVD Order Date: 2/2/06
    DVD SLP: $14.94

STAGECOACH
    DVD Catalog #: 14482
    DVD UPC Code: 0-27616-14482-9
    DVD Order Date: 2/2/06
    DVD SLP: $19.94

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I hope this is good news that John Ford's classic will be also be re released

3. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

since stagecoach was made in 86 for television...should it be in widescreen?

4. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Stunt Coordinator

Gregory Peck fans will be happy along with Cash fans about the release of I Walk The Line.
    As far as I know,Cameron, Stagecoach should be a full screen presentation.
    Not only would I like to see a re-release of the 1939 Stagecoach (how about a two-disc edition Warner Brothers?) but I wish Fox would release the 1966 remake. I realize that it pales with the 39 edition (mainly because Alex Cord is no John Wayne), but I still think it's an excellent movie. It has great performances from Ann-Margaret,Slim Pickens,Van Heflin,Bob Cummings, and especially Bing Crosby whose performance,in my opinion,surpasses Thomas Mitchell's Oscar-winning performance. Also the 1966 version has a great music score by Jerry Goldsmith.
    Bill Parisho