SPHE PRESS RELEASE: HOSTEL

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Hostel will challenge everything you know about horror films.”

- Pete Hammond, Maxim

“The scariest movie in a decade.”

- Harry Knowles, Ain’t it Cool News

“Horrifying, in the best sense of the word, with more than a few sights you’ll likely never forget – if you can keep your eyes open.”

- E! Online

QUENTIN TARANTINO PRESENTS
    THE HORRIFYING THRILLER FROM WRITER/DIRECTOR ELI ROTH

HOSTEL

ON DVD AND FOR PSP APRIL 18
    EVERYONE’S LIFE HAS A PRICE IN THE
    $50 MILLION BOX OFFICE HORROR HIT

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (February 6, 2006) – The darkest depravity of human nature will be revealed when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) delivers “the first hit film of the year (Los Angeles Times 1/29/06),” Hostel, to DVD and for PSP™ April 18*. One of the most unrelenting tales of human-trafficking, sex tourism and torture ever before depicted on screen, Hostel, presented by Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill, Vol. 1 & 2) and written and directed by Eli Roth (Cabin Fever), was an instant box office hit, delivering more than $20 million as the #1 film its opening weekend. A film of extreme themes, Hostel will shock even the most hard-core horror fans when it debuts as an unrated, widescreen edition on DVD, packaged in an embossed, eye-catching O-Ring, with a terrifying line up of special features that include:

Four Commentary tracks:
    Director Commentary with Eli Roth
    Director and Executive Producer Commentary with Quentin Tarantino, Boaz Yakin, Scott Spiegel and Eli Roth
    Director and Producer’s Commentary with Chris Briggs (producer) and Gabriel Roth (documentarian)
    Director and Guest Commentary with prominent online film pundit Harry Knowles
    “Hostel Dissected” Making-of Featurette
    “Kill the Car” multi-angle interactive feature

The unrated, widescreen edition DVD will be available for an SLP of $28.95. Hostel will also be released on the Universal Media Disc (UMD™) format, compatible with the Sony Playstation Portable™, PSP™ for an SLP of $28.95.

“The Hostel DVD gave me another creative canvas to go further into the dark universe we created,” said Roth. “I want fans to be able to enjoy it, but more than that, I want aspiring filmmakers from around the world to learn from my experiences. Hopefully fans will watch it until they puke, which to me is like a standing ovation.”

Hostel is inspired by shocking stories of the dark side of human nature unearthed by director Eli Roth, and tells the story of two American college thrill-seekers (Jay Hernandez, Friday Night Lights, Ladder 49, and Derek Richardson, Dumb and Dumberer) who find themselves victims of a murder-for-profit business while backpacking in Eastern Europe. Lured to a hostel in an out-of-the-way Slovakian town boasting a bevy of beauties, the two quickly pair off with exotic locals Natalya and Svetlana. After awakening from a hedonistic night of sin, they find themselves plunged into an unimaginable hell, trapped in a torturous netherworld as wide and deep as the darkest, sickest recess of human nature itself.

Hostel will be supported with a multi-million dollar national advertising campaign that includes national TV and online media buys as well as a national radio promotion in top markets. The film has a run time of 94 minutes and is unrated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 13838
    UMD Catalog #: 14183
    DVD UPC Code: 043396138384
    UMD UPC Code: 043396141834
    DVD Order Date: 3/16/06
    UMD Order Date: 3/16/06
    DVD SLP: $28.95
    UMD SLP: $28.95

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

While I liked this movie, the ads made it sound like it would be a fairly hardcore horror movie. It seemed to me like everytime that there was a violent or scary scene, they followed it up with a funny (or at least a non-suspenseful) scene and the just ruined any prolonged tension for the movie. It was too much stop and start for me.

It's not a bad movie and I'll be picking up the DVD (the Roth and Roth/Tarantino/Spiegel commentary should be good) but it was nowhere near what the commercials or Harry Knowles was making it to be.

3. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

i guess its mostly just frames of shots that got cut since imdb has the run time at 95 minutes.