SPHE Press Release: Guys & Dolls Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE CLASSIC MUSICAL STARRING

MARLON BRANDO, FRANK SINATRA, JEAN SIMMONS AND VIVIAN BLAIN ARRIVES ON DVD APRIL 25

Featuring Standouts Such As Luck Be A Lady and Woman In Love

GUYS & DOLLS: DELUXE EDITION

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (February 13, 2006) – MGM Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment celebrate one of the most beloved musicals of all time with the release of Guys & Dolls: Deluxe Edition to DVD April 25. Starring Hollywood legends Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra, Jean Simmons and Vivian Blain, Guys & Dolls was nominated for four Academy Awards® and received a Golden Globe® for Best Motion Picture–Musical/Comedy and Best Actress, Jean Simmons. The Deluxe Edition DVD contains all-new special features including a two-part documentary which features interviews with producer Samuel Goldwyn and key crew members, as well as a collectible reproduction of the original theatrical solicitation materials created by Samuel Goldwyn and MGM for the 1955 theatrical run. This rare, one-of-a-kind 72-page booklet includes original press-clippings, theater cards, posters, biographies and highlights from the film’s premiere engagements in New York and Los Angeles. Guys & Dolls: Deluxe Edition will be available on DVD April 25 for an SLP of $24.96.

A brilliant masterpiece from Frank Loesser (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying), Guys & Dolls entertains audiences with its spectacular song-and-dance show and features the show-stopping hits, “Luck Be a Lady” and “A Woman in Love.” This film version of Broadway’s most popular musical also marked the musical debut of Marlon Brando.

In Guys & Dolls, the slickest big-time New York City gamblers, Sky Masterson (Brando) and Nathan Detroit (Sinatra), can’t resist making or taking a bet on anything. When a pretty missionary (Simmons) sets up shop in the neighborhood, Nathan stakes $1,000 that Sky can’t seduce her. But all bets are off when Sky falls madly in love in this romantic musical spectacular that sets the Big Apple on fire with excitement.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

Two-part making-of documentary featuring interviews with Susan Loesser, daughter of musical creator Frank Loesser; Choreographer Michael Kidd; Jo Sullivan Loesser, the widow of Frank; Samuel Goldwyn Jr.; and Scott Berg, biographer of Samuel Goldwyn
    Guys & Dolls: From Stage to Screen
    Guys & Dolls: The Goldwyn Touch
    72-Page Collectible Booklet featuring theatrical release materials

Guys and Dolls has a run time of 108 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 14311
    DVD UPC Code: 0-27616-14311-2
    DVD Order Date: 3/23/2006
    DVD SLP: $24.96

2. Johannes S

Johannes S Stunt Coordinator

Johannes
  3. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I sure hope this is a brand new video transfer and sound remaster. As discussed on the Guys and Dolls thread, the laserdisc had much better sound than the first dvd did.

4. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

108 minuutes???????????? Is this the new dead dirctors cut? The original was 150 minutes. I sure hope thats a typo.....typical for Sony!

5. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    I noticed that, too, but if you follow the link to Sony's site, the specs there say 149.

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    "This rare, one-of-a-kind 72-page booklet..."

I love it publicity uses the "rare" word for something mass produced and available everywhere.

Those 72 page booklets are going to be worth a fortune.

RAH

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    By "rare," they were referring to how long they left it in the oven before releasing it. [​IMG]

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

The back of the new box does say "Remastered in High Definition." It also mentions an "original audio" English track in addition to the 5.1 remix. I can't quite make it out in the small image I have, but it looks like it says "English 3-D Original Audio." (It might just be an unclear "1.0".)

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I would hope that they would have a new transfer, since the last one was non-anamorphic. I can't see too many DVDs released nowadays non-anamorphic.

Jason

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

interesting to see how Marlon Brando is making a comeback these days with Godfather the videogame, Superman Returns and now this.

What's next ?

[​IMG]

11. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Supposedly it's new anamorphic transfer and the original 3.0 audio is included.

12. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

The original audio is NOT 3.0 but 4.0

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    The box says "3.0," but it wouldn't be the first typo I've seen on a DVD sleeve if that's the case.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Anybody seen this yet and got thoughts about whether it's worth the upgrade?

15. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I'm still waiting on the screener, otherwise I would be able to tell you.[​IMG]

16. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

The transfer is soft and lacking in detail..... It actually has less detail than the original non-anamorphic version.

Of course I do have an HTPC that does an excellent job of scaling, so that would tend to minimize the issues associated with non-anamorphic transfers.

There is a 5.1 audio track and a 3.0 audio track.

Guess it's time to stop buying Sony product on DVD, because it looks to me, at least with this release, like they have embarked on a program of intentionally degrading image quality on DVD in order to further diferentiate their upcoming BR product.

Ted

17. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

With HD-DVD on the horizon, there's certainly going to be a lot of double-dipping over the next five or so years. I shudder to think of all the titles I'll be re-purchasing in order to have them in HD.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That is too bad. Why bother with this release then? [​IMG]

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

20. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    To my eyes it is that this transfer is lacking the prior one's edge enhancement. This one is smoother.