SPHE Press Release: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    STEVE BURTON, RACHAEL LEIGH COOK AND MENA SUVARI
    LEND THEIR VOICES TO THE CG-ANIMATED FEATURE FILM BASED ON THE BEST-SELLING PLAYSTATION® GAME

FINAL FANTASY® VII: ADVENT CHILDREN

- Arriving Onto A Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Set And For PSP™ April 25th From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment -

Culver City, Calif. (February 13, 2006) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is bringing the highly anticipated CG-animated film FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children to DVD and PSP™ on April 25th. Brought to life through 100 minutes of beautifully crafted visual content, FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children revisits the rich universe and memorable characters of FINAL FANTASY VII, one of the best selling video games of all time. From the adventurous mind of Director and Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, X and the Kingdom Hearts® video game series) and featuring the voice talents of Steve Burton (The Last Castle, Taken) as Cloud, Rachael Leigh Cook (She’s All That, Josie and the Pussycats) as Tifa and Mena Suvari (American Beauty, Rumor Has It) as Aerith, the film emcompasses a strong blend of action, sci-fi and anime in the most stylish CG animation that fans of the video game have come to expect.

Available for an SRP of $26.96, FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children will be coming to Special Edition DVD in a 2-disc set as well as UMD™ for PSP. Exploding with bonus materials, the DVD includes a story digest, deleted scenes, a “Making Of” featurette, FINAL FANTASY: Advent Children Venice Film Festival footage and a “Sneak Peek” of the upcoming games in the “Compilation of FINAL FANTASY VII” series.

Developed by Square Enix™ and released in 1997 for the PlayStation game console, FINAL FANTASY VII has sold more than nine million units worldwide and is the best selling game of the FINAL FANTASY series, which has sold over 63 million units worldwide to-date. With its high quality graphics, strong storytelling and dynamic game-play, FINAL FANTASY VII redefined the standard for video games.

Synopsis:

FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children continues the game’s storyline in this CG-animated film, featuring non-stop action and exciting visual effects. Two years have passed since the ruins of Midgar stand as a testament to the sacrifices made in order to bring peace. However, the world will soon face a new menace. A mysterious illness is spreading fast. Old enemies are astir. And Cloud (Burton), who walked away from the life of a hero to live in solitude, must step forward yet again...

Backed by a full team of video game extraordinaires, the film was directed by Tetsuya Nomura and Takeshi Nozue, written by Kazushige Nojima and produced by Shinji Hashimoto and Yoshinori Kitase.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:

Story Digest
    Deleted Scenes
    “Making Of” Featurette
    FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children Venice Film Festival Footage
    “Sneak Peek” of the Upcoming FINAL FANTASY VII Games

FINAL FANTASY VII: Advent Children will be available in widescreen presentation, has a run time of 101 minutes and is rated PG-13. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com or Square Enix at http://na.square-enix.com/dvd/ff7ac

DVD Catalog #: 11896
    UMD Catalog #: 11795
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-11896-6
    UMD UPC Code: 0-43396-11759-2
    DVD Order Date: 3/23/06
    UMD Order Date: 3/23/06
    DVD SRP: $26.96
    UMD SRP: $28.95

2. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

It's about time we saw some official news on this. I thought it was going to get pushed back to the end of this year.

Thanks for the news Ron.

3. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

Finally !

Extras are looking very thin for a 2 disc set though.

Would have liked to see a documentary on the Final Fantasy franchise and maybe an in depth look at the game itself (VII). But I suppose that is asking too much.

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    FINALLY!

I bought the hideously expensive "Advent Pieces" box from Japan because I HAD TO SEE THIS FILM. Yes, I could have bought the cheap $20 version but I'm such a FF VII fan, well, I'm preaching to the HT choir here [​IMG].

Here's the deal - if you're a fan of FF VII, you're gonna absolutely LOVE this film. If you're not a fan, you're going to be so in the dark about what's going on. People that have never played the game say "there's no character development". Well, that's because most of us spent 40-60 HOURS playing the game....we don't NEED character development because we practically lived with these characters the weeks and months playing FF VII, sometimes more than once.

I can't comment on the English version since I haven't seen it. I ripped the Japanese DVD to my hard drive and grabbed fan-translated subtitles to watch the film (and tweaked the subtitles because in some cases the translation was poor).

The Japanese "Advent Pieces" version was filled with extras: all the trailers, an alternate version of the film, an animated backstory, commentary (in Japanese of course), a making of, and a complete synopsis of FF VII with video taken directly from the game (again, in Japanese). It also came with a T-shirt, hat, a huge figure of Cloud and his Fenrir motorcycle, a keychain, script, and a Japanese version of FF VII.

There are some head-scratching moments, but they're rare. Tifa and Cloud's characters are so well done in this film.

The soundtrack is done by FF vet Nobuo Uematsu and is a true theatrical score.

The shame of it is that this is BY FAR the best film made of a videogame ever made, and it's all CGI. It blows away all the bad videogame-to-film translations ever done. Don't look at "The Spirits Within" and think that this film is just as bad.

It's gorgeous to watch, has some very good action scenes, and a killer ending.

And I just want to reiterate here - non-fans probably won't "get it". It's like watching "Return of the Jedi" without watching IV and V, you won't feel the impact of the story because you just won't care.

I'd encourage people to pick up a used copy of FF VII from Gamestop, EB, Amazon, whatever, and play it. Be warned, this is NOT an itchy trigger finger game, this is a LONG, drawn out RPG which will easily take up 40-60 hours of your life. If you do decide to play, you'll see why it's arguably of of the best games ever made. If you know nothing about the game, DO NOT look for spoilers. This game had one of, if not THE worst spoilers in videogame history.

5. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

Wow the extras on the japanese set are impressive. What is this alternate version ?

these extras really need to be transferred for western audiences.

6. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Finally. I cant believe that its taken this long to get a potential release date outta them. I say potential cause until my copy is bought and paid for its still up in the air. (this is after all the 4 or 5th release date since it was supposed to be released last fall)

Cant wait to get a proper subtitle on this...and an english language version will be nice. No "last order" anime in the special features?....I hope its just not mentioned cause it really needs to be apart of this set...the animation on it is fantastic.

69 days to go...

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Any reviews on this yet? It's due in less than 2 weeks.

Mike

8. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I watched the trailer for this, and OMG is looks frigging sweet.

FFVII was a great game (Not as good as FFIV or FFVI though), and I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I didn't request a screener of this one since there are a lot of releases that day, and some of the other titles are probably of wider interest.

Plus, I haven't played the game (yet), so I figured from the previous posts that the film would be tough to follow. (I know the insane spoiler from the game, but to be honest I can't imagine myself ever having the time to actually play it anyway.)

Judging from the trailers, it does look to be a visually spectacular film.

If you guys really want a review, let me know in this thread. If there seems to be a groundswell of interest, I'll try to get a screener.

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Aaron,
    I've seen the movie a countless number of times already. I bought the Advent Pieces box set and used mplayer to watch the movie with subtitles (which I had to fix, they were written so badly). From the reports of the people that went to the LA premiere, not a frame has changed from the Japanese version, it's just the English dub I was wondering about. I appreciate you asking, but I personally wouldn't want you to waste 1:40 of your life just to check out a sequel to a film you know nothing about, only so I can get an idea of the English dub. I was just seeing if it was in the works. Don't worry, I've been waiting 3 years, I can wait 2 weeks more [​IMG]

Mike

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks, Mike.

If only a review took just 1:40! Between studying the A/V and extra features, and writing something worth reading, it'd probably be more like 4 or 5 hours!

12. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Oh, I understand completely. Between what little writing I do and podcast editing, I know how much work it takes for so little output.

13. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

What you can do is get the Screener, and mail it over to me, I'll write the review for you, and then you can post it. [​IMG]

But if you haven't played the game, it's probably not worth it to watch the movie.

14. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Ha. That's not gonna happen, Joe. [​IMG]

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

As a film, it is pretty average. Plot is mediocre, characterization is a joke - excuses of "We got all the character development from the game" doesn't make any sense when you consider that characters in the good movie sequels do change and can be pretty darned interesting. But wait - this movie isn't about characters! Right?

The pacing I found very awkward - it just felt kind of off, like they cut out a lot of contemplative scenes. Ghost in the Shell, this is not. Watching the movie, it felt like I was watching a very long trailer for a new Final Fantasy videogame! [​IMG]

But, when you take into context that this is based off of a videogame, I'm not surprised at all - hey, it's better than the usual fair. :p) In terms of giving fans what they want, they succeeded! For the rest of us who had other things to do back in those days - you're not missing much. At the least, watch it for the eye-candy - it is pretty spectacular at the very least.

And no, I didn't play the videogame - I am more into the traditional Western-style CRPGS (Baldur's Gate, Ultima 4/5, etc.). I could not tolerate the FF series - way too linear for my tastes - that reminds me, I need to get a copy of Planescape: Torment. Now wouldn't THAT make a great movie. [​IMG]

I did like Spirits Within - the cinematography is just great in that movie - the bird flying scene at the end, the aborted suicide attempt (just brilliant!), and many others. Hey, the story wasn't that great, but it had its moments...

16. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Just curious does it do any catching up for those of us who haven't played the game in 5 years or whatever. I kinda forget a lot of the story.

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Is it a direct sequel to the film?

Btw, I hated the videogames but loved the movie.

18. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

It is not related to the Final Fantasy movie in any way. It is a sequel to Final Fantasy VII (the game). It's 90% fight scenes, so in-depth knowledge of the game's events is really not toooo necessary (there is a brief recap at the beginning of the movie, as well).

If one is a fan of 3d animation in any way, it's at least worth watching once. The cinematography is absolutley stunning.

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I seem to recall seeing in the list of extra features that a synopsis or summary of the game's events is included. I have no idea what form it takes, though. Could be a text page or an animated short or something else.

20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Cool. I'll check it out for sure.[​IMG]