SPHE Press Release: Erik The Viking Director's Cut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    TIM ROBBINS AND JOHN CLEESE STAR IN HILARIOUS SATIRE OF VIKING LIFE

ERIK THE VIKING DIRECTOR’S CUT

- COMING TO DVD FEBRUARY 7 FROM SONY PICTURES
    HOME ENTERTAINMENT & MGM -

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (December 5, 2005) – Travel on a medieval journey when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and MGM release ERIK THE VIKING DIRECTOR’S CUT for the first time on DVD February 7. Tim Robbins (Bull Durham) and John Cleese (Die Another Day, Monty Python and the Holy Grail) star as Viking warriors who embark on a treacherous voyage with their fellow comrades to ask the gods of Valhalla to bring them sunlight once again. Directed by Terry Jones (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and reminiscent of the Monty Python films, ERIK THE VIKING DIRECTOR’S CUT will be available for a SLP of $19.94 and includes audio commentary with Terry Jones.

Synopsis:

Erik the Viking becomes uncomfortable with all the killing and plundering that goes with the job of being a Viking. To bring about peace, he gathers warriors from his village and sets out on a dangerous and magical journey to Valhalla, to ask the gods to end the Age of Ragnorok and allow his people to see sunlight again.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

Director’s Cut (Version never-before-available in the United States)
    Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Terry Jones
    Widescreen Presentation
    Subtitles: English, French
    Audio: English

ERIK THE VIKING has a run time of 93 minutes and is Not Rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 12625
    DVD UPC Code: 027616126252
    DVD Order Date: 1/5/06
    DVD SLP: $19.94

2. DevinJC

DevinJC Stunt Coordinator

too cool for school [​IMG]

3. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

There will also be a Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Extraordinary Edition around the same time.

EDIT: I'm not kidding. This disc is coming the same week or the week before Erik. A new special edition of Holy Grail.

4. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Wow, my old post got ate by the forum upgrade.

5. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

Is this film any good? I like Terry Jones direction on the Python films but never saw this.

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Yes, opinions on the film needed.

Roger Ebert gave it zero stars.

But I found a trailer to this and it looked pretty good.

7. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I saw this in the theater, and remember finding it largely interminable. And I'm a pretty huge Python fan. Could an extended cut help? Will it contain all the funny parts missing from the theatrical version?

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I always liked the movie. I first discovered it on video as a blind rental and I've enjoyed it on cable a few times in the past. It definitely has some Gilliamesque moments in it that remind me of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits. I'd equate it more to those films than the more wacky Monty Python films.

Odd thing... this director's cut runs 93 minutes, but the theatrical release was 104 minutes according to IMDB. That means they must have cut some stuff out that was in the theatrical version, in addition to putting in new scenes. That kind of sucks because I don't think this has been released on DVD before and I'd like to get the theatrical version to go with this new director's cut.

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Apparently this release was postponed - no date given. My pre-order was canceled and it's not up for order at amazon. Anyone know what happened?

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

*Bump*

Still no news on whatever became of this release? This is a hell of a long delay.

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The Director's Son's Cut has been available in the UK for some time.

AIUI, there are no new scenes, because none of the original elements survive. It's a shorter (75m) version of the film; shorter even than the UK theatrical version, which was itself ten minutes shorter than the US theatrical version (which opened first, before Idle had finished fine-tuning it).

Some details from my website, here: http://www.zetaminor.com/news_archiv...006_09_wk4.htm