SPHE Press Release: Dawson's Creek: The Complete Sixth Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Last Season of the Critically-Acclaimed Series

DAWSON’S CREEK:
    THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON

Final 23 Episodes Starring Katie Holmes, Michelle Williams,
    James Van Der Beek, and Joshua Jackson Debut on DVD April 4

Culver City, CA (January 23, 2006) – Fans around the world can finally finish the saga of Dawson, Joey, Pacey, Jen and Jack when Dawson’s Creek: The Complete Sixth Season debuts on DVD April 4. Featuring all 23 episodes, including the highly-rated two-hour series finale and an exclusive scrapbook for fans that is loaded with photos and trivia, the four-disc set will be available for $49.95 SLP from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Created by writer/director Kevin Williamson (Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer), the show became an instant critical and fan favorite following its January 1998 debut on the WB and one of the network’s top-rated shows. Currently in syndication on TBS Superstation, Dawson’s Creek’s popularity has remained strong as the previous seasons debuted on DVD. The stars are some of the brightest young talent in Hollywood today, James Van Der Beek (The Rules of Attraction), Katie Holmes (Batman Begins, Thank You for Smoking), Joshua Jackson (Cursed, The Skulls), Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain, The Station Agent) and Kerr Smith (TV’s “Charmed,” Final Destination) captivated audiences with their compelling characters and wry humor, which Williamson weaved into intelligent storylines that teenagers related to around the world.

In the series’ sixth and final season, the gang continues their progression into adulthood. Dawson (James Van Der Beek) makes a movie and finds Hollywood isn’t what he thought it would be. Pacey (Joshua Jackson) discovers the working world is more complex and unethical than he ever imagined. Joey (Katie Holmes) finds romance with old and new friends while making her way through college. Jen (Michelle Williams) finds her calling, Jack (Kerr Smith) finds true love and Audrey (Meredith Monroe) confronts her addiction. Guest stars during the sixth season include Gwen Stefani, Adrian Young, Tony Kanal and Tom Dumont of the alternative rock band “No Doubt,” Academy Award®-nominee Virginia Madsen (Sideways, Firewall), Jensen Ackles (TV’s “Supernatural”), Jeremy Sisto (TV’s “Six Feet Under”), Jack Osbourne (TV’s “The Osbournes”), Mimi Rogers (Someone to Watch Over Me), and Oliver Hudson (The Out-of-Towners).

During its six-year run, Dawson’s Creek was honored with the GLAAD Media Award for “Outstanding Dramatic TV Series,” nominated for a TV Guide Award for “Favorite Teen Show” and garnered three wins at the 2001 Teen Choice Awards.

Dawson’s Creek: The Complete Sixth Season episodes include:

The Kids Are Alright
    Song Remains the Same
    The Importance of Not Being Too Earnest
    Instant Karma!
    The Imposters
    Living Dead Girl
    Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
    Spiderwebs
    Everything Put Together Falls Apart
    Merry Mayhem
    Day Out of Days
    All the Right Moves
    Rock Bottom
    Clean and Sober
    Castaways
    That Was Then
    Sex and Violence
    Love Bites
    Lovelines
    Catch-22
    Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road
    Joey Potter and the Capeside Redemption
    All Good Things ... Must Come to an End

DVD Special Features Include:

Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
    Full Screen Presentations
    Audio: English (Dolby Surround)
    Subtitles: Portuguese, Spanish
    Commentary on Two-Hour Finale with Creator Kevin Williamson and Executive Producer Paul Stupin
    Exclusive Scrapbook for Fans, Loaded with Photos and Trivia
    Bonus Previews
    Closed Captioned

Dawson’s Creek: The Complete Sixth Season has a run time of approximately 946 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 12918
    UPC Code: 1-43396-12918-45
    Order Date: 3/2/06
    SLP: $49.95

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    There is no mention of whether the extended version of the finale will be included, but since it has the commentary by Williamson and Stupin, my guess is it will. The Region 2 version (which is already out) certainly has it.

I'm still somewhat on the fence about whether I should buy this or not. Season 6 was pretty bad IMO. Maybe I'll buy it for completeness sake... unless of course it turns out to be cut like season 5 (the No Doubt episode being a likely candidate.)

CHris

3. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yeah, I love how they spoke about including a scrapbook for the loyal fans who got every set. How about including the full episodes, or keeping the theme music correct for the loyal fans?

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    Well, guess not then:

Source: tvshowsondvd.com

The R2 version has the extended cut, so I guess I'll have to get that one.

Chris

5. Robert Ringwald

Kind of a rip, but I don't mind since I skipped seasons 4+.

Looks like I'll have to pick up the series finale disc now (the price has dropped significantly).

The back mentions nothing about the music either. Didn't the past releases list the fact that the theme and music had been changed? Perhaps they spit out the money and got the original theme back?

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    Only until season 4. Season 5 made no mention of the music changes.

Chris

7. Robert Ringwald

Man, and that's the season where they even went as far as to remove entire scenes, right?

8. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

wait a minute, they cut entire scenes from the season sets?

i got into this series watching the TBS syndication, and would have liked to have bought the DVD sets. but the fact that they changed the music was the deal killer for me, and now you say they have cut episodes also?

way to butcher a DVD package.

9. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I am all for understanding why music rights have to be changed sometimes... but Sony was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too cheap with Dawson that it's unforgivable and I refuse to purchase the sets, even though I loved it when it was on WB.

I saw a website which listed every single music change and by seasons 4 and 5, Sony replaced EVERY SINGLE song you may actually be familiar of the artist. There's a difference between this and a fellow late 90's WB series like Roswell or Popular which contains replaced music, but all of the important songs remain (even though Popular teetered on the line when Sheena Easton was mentioned in a scene but it surely wasn't Sheena Easton's music playing on the DVD scene)