What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By the way, if Target discounts this second volume from $164.99 to $112.99 like they did with the first volume then I'm going to jump on that pricing again, even if they don't have a 15% coupon like they did with the first volume. It's one of the reasons why I accumulate Target gift cards from other purchases so I can use them for stuff like this item.
Target did drop the pricing down to $112.99 for Volume 2 and I preordered it using a Target Circle Reward that dropped my final sale price to $88.61 including sales tax. That's actually cheaper than when I bought Volume 1 for $96.71.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's currently $120 at Amazon. I ordered but will probably cancel my order if it doesn't drop further before release day.

David Norman

Premium
Target did drop the pricing down to $112.99 for Volume 2 and I preordered it using a Target Circle Reward that dropped my final sale price to $88.61 including sales tax. That's actually cheaper than when I bought Volume 1 for $96.71.

Interesting that your Circle offer worked on the Preorder. I looked yesterday and again just now and the 20% won't apply for me. That's a very nice bonus that it applied on your order.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Interesting that your Circle offer worked on the Preorder. I looked yesterday and again just now and the 20% won't apply for me. That's a very nice bonus that it applied on your order.
Not the same Circle offer! I got a $25.00 Circle Bonus when I bought two $100 iTunes Gift Cards last month. At that time, they were offering that $25.00 Circle Bonus if you made two different $100 purchases in June. So I got that $25.00 Circle bonus plus $20.00 in Target gift cards and another $9.00 off that total $200 purchase.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Weirdly, it's only $98CDN at amazon.ca

Amazon product

Thanks for this. I've been searching Amazon Canada for Columbia Classics Vol 2 ( which is how Amazon U.S. has it listed ) and it doesn't show up. I was beginning to wonder if Sony was not going to release this in Canada.
Just a caveat - Volume 1 did not come with digital codes in the Canadian box; despite the photo with the Canadian listing I am not holding my breath that it's accurate concerning codes considering Amazon.ca hasn't listed it correctly under the title Columbia Classics Vol 2.

David Norman

Premium
Not the same Circle offer! I got a $25.00 Circle Bonus when I bought two $100 iTunes Gift Cards last month. At that time, they were offering that $25.00 Circle Bonus if you made two different $100 purchases in June. So I got that $25.00 Circle bonus plus $20.00 in Target gift cards and another $9.00 off that total $200 purchase.
That makes more sense, still a nice bonus for doing your normal shopping. Selfishly, I guess I'm a little glad I didnt miss out on something. It sounds similar to an offer I got after I made my last B2G1 offer -- $20 back for making 2 purchases of $75+ though I guess that would be have been a direct rebate to my RedCard

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
That makes more sense, still a nice bonus for doing your normal shopping. Selfishly, I guess I'm a little glad I didnt miss out on something. It sounds similar to an offer I got after I made my last B2G1 offer -- $20 back for making 2 purchases of $75+ though I guess that would be have been a direct rebate to my RedCard
I accidently received a similar offer back in February, when I noticed I had $20 Circle Bonus attached to my account. I saved the offer, but it slip my mind until I made the necessary purchases that activated that Circle Bonus to my account. However, this time, I was well aware of what I was doing once I saved that Circle Bonus offer.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
It looks like I need to pay a lot more attention to my Target Circle offers. I have the collection on my "watchlist" and hopefully another offer shows up before its release.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Technically Target wouldn't necessarily be able to do that as the Red Card Credit Card s not issued by them*. Virtually all of the Red Card deals are discounts or credits at Target. You also are NOT required to have a Red Card to take advantage of Target Circle - a circle offer wouldn't have anything to do with Red Card.

*"RedCard™: Target Debit Card™, Target Credit Card™, and Target™ Mastercard®. Subject to application approval (Target Mastercard not available to new applicants). The RedCard credit cards (Target Credit Card and Target Mastercard) are issued by TD Bank USA, N.A. The RedCard debit card is issued by Target Corporation. Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International, Inc. Pat 7,562,048 and 8,117,118."

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
...and were some of these on the list of titles Sony wanted feedback on a year or two ago when considering the future of their 4k output?!

I mean, who gave them feedback that they wanted to see THE SOCIAL NETWORK in glorious 4k UHD?
Totally agree here. Instead of doing a decade by decade box set to celebrate their truly great classics we're getting stuff like The Social Network and, in the previous box set, Jerry Maguire mixed in with Lawrence of Arabia and Anatomy of a Murder. What? No Capra this time around. I was sort of hoping for Lost Horizon. But Columbia's list of contenders is considerable. I mean, if they wanted to release a couple of titles from the more contempo-strain of their artistry, they could have gone for Little Women, Steel Magnolias, Places in the Heart, Tootsie, A Passage to India, The Prince of Tides or even The Mirror Has Two Faces, which has yet to be given its due, even on standard Blu-ray. I mean, come on. It's la Streisand. No Blu? Shameful!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The support of releases such as this is essential toward a healthy corporate preservation program of IP at the highest level.

Where films have been preserved and / or restored at 4k, the support via purchase of these quality releases aimed at UHD home theater use, adds a tiny part toward the economy of saving these assets.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The support of releases such as this is essential toward a healthy corporate preservation program of IP at the highest level.

Where films have been preserved and / or restored at 4k, the support via purchase of these quality releases aimed at UHD home theater use, adds a tiny part toward the economy of saving these assets.
Don't misunderstand. I've had my order in for Vol. 2 ever since it was announced. I support hard efforts - period! I just think the selections are oddly assembled. I mean, the audience who would likely find every movie in this set to their liking is pretty slim. There's no theme or actual timeline to it either.

Nothing from the 30's or 40's, 2 from the 60's, and 1 from the 80's, 90's and 2000's respectively. I think if Sony had done their marketing divided across that seminal shift from old Hollywood to new - say 30's to 60's and 70's to present, the continuity would have been more forthcoming.

So, a set to include, say, Lost Horizon, Gilda, The Eddie Duchin Story, A Man for All Seasons, followed by a set to include, Nicholas and Alexandra, The Big Chill, The Mirror Has Two Faces, The Patriot, would have more of a fan base divided along the lines of nostalgia. Just an opinion.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don't misunderstand. I've had my order in for Vol. 2 ever since it was announced. I support hard efforts - period! I just think the selections are oddly assembled. I mean, the audience who would likely find every movie in this set to their liking is pretty slim. There's no theme or actual timeline to it either.

Nothing from the 30's or 40's, 2 from the 60's, and 1 from the 80's, 90's and 2000's respectively. I think if Sony had done their marketing divided across that seminal shift from old Hollywood to new - say 30's to 60's and 70's to present, the continuity would have been more forthcoming.

So, a set to include, say, Lost Horizon, Gilda, The Eddie Duchin Story, A Man for All Seasons, followed by a set to include, Nicholas and Alexandra, The Big Chill, The Mirror Has Two Faces, The Patriot, would have more of a fan base divided along the lines of nostalgia. Just an opinion.
Agreed. These titles were probably 4k ready. The most problematic should have been Oliver!

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm a little disappointed in the titles, yet again. There are several movies more deserving of 4K than Stripes or Anatomy of a Murder. I'm not saying they are bad films - but do they really need 4K and HDR?
I must say, I was also a wee bit surprised at seeing Stripes included - or, indeed any of the others, apart from Anatomy Of A Murder, which actually was on the poll!

But I recently read an amusing little piece in The New Yorker, where Bill Murray and Ivan Reitman Zoom-called photographer Bill Butler, on his hundredth birthday! I'd forgotten that Bill Butler was the cinematographer on Jaws and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, among others!

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Agreed. These titles were probably 4k ready. The most problematic should have been Oliver!
My son and I saw Oliver! projected from a DCP at the Cinemateket in Oslo last weekend. It obviously used the same master as the blu-rays I have from Sony and Twilight Time. The picture wasn't bad at all, but the sound was terrible. There was no dimensionality and the the fidelity was decidedly lacking. The final word of the song "Boy For Sale" by Harry Secombe - where he holds the "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale" for a long time, was so piercing and unpleasant, my son and I had to stuff out fingers into our ears! I'm expecting that the Dolby Atmos audio included on this set will be a revelation.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Totally agree here. Instead of doing a decade by decade box set to celebrate their truly great classics we're getting stuff like The Social Network and, in the previous box set, Jerry Maguire mixed in with Lawrence of Arabia and Anatomy of a Murder. What? No Capra this time around. I was sort of hoping for Lost Horizon. But Columbia's list of contenders is considerable. I mean, if they wanted to release a couple of titles from the more contempo-strain of their artistry, they could have gone for Little Women, Steel Magnolias, Places in the Heart, Tootsie, A Passage to India, The Prince of Tides or even The Mirror Has Two Faces, which has yet to be given its due, even on standard Blu-ray. I mean, come on. It's la Streisand. No Blu? Shameful!
Simple reason for their choice of titles: a poll based on selected titles (which obviously were readily available for 4K masters). The list was posted on this site as well.

I read somewhere that 50 000 people sent in their choices and the first box set not only sold out, but won several awards. Two Capra films were indeed on the list - but not enough people voted for them.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
So the first box is all gone then... Is it likely that more of the included titles from volume 1 will be released individually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks