What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw OLIVER! recently and it left me fairly cold (even as a lover of Roadshow Musicals). Only Ron Moody and Jack Wild stood out and the last part is a slog with a very unsatisfying climax. I adore Oliver Reed but he's just one-scary note here. I find Lester to be not particularly engaging. Wild is the real star and pity he didn't get bigger. He was always game on PUFNSTUF.

STRIPES is my favorite 80s Bill Murray and I just like the vibe plus Warren Oates. The opening of the film with Ramis and Murray as down and out New Yorkers should have been its own movie. But 4k? Ok.

These sets are just too random. At least do themes.
Themes would have been great but too late for that after we already have two box sets.

I think that the unifying theme is really just that the movies in these box sets have been successful for Sony / Columbia (Tristar) and/or were critically praised, that's it

Everything else like visual / photographic excellence, thematic or genre similarities or even release date based grouping was probably never intended and it certainly is a valid approach considering the sales of both the first and the second box set.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[…] Everything else like visual / photographic excellence […]
That would be the expertise of Grover Crisp; la magnifica; which is why I’m ultimately and thoroughly enjoying the ride. To say it, again, I am sensing a series that is evolving into something of a larger mosaic.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That would be the work of Grover Crisp; la magnifica; which is why I’m trusting and thoroughly enjoying the ride. To say it, again, I am sensing a series that is evolving into something of a larger mosaic.
I have no doubt that all these releases will be of excellent quality but I meant that principal photography on a movie is what ultimately determines how good it can look.

Taxi Driver or Stripes will never look like Lawrence of Arabia, not even with a 16k scan but then the selection criteria do not call for movies where the UHD shows the most improvement over the standard Blu-ray.

In the end I am happy for every catalog title that sells well on UHD even if it is not a title that I would personally want on UHD and I will just bide my time and check the screen caps to see how much of an upgrade over my Blu-rays I will get with the UHDs..

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That would be the expertise of Grover Crisp; la magnifica; which is why I’m ultimately and thoroughly enjoying the ride. To say it, again, I am sensing a series that is evolving into something of a larger mosaic.

I am so happy Grover is still with Sony. He is a master of his craft and we have all benefited from his immaculate work.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Nice group of films IMO. Each one of these movies represent what is best about the studio. I never even considered Stripes, but it ends up being kind of a inspired choice. Even though The Social Network is relatively new, I think it is a brilliant film is a already on the path to being a true classic. I cannot wait to get this set, and hopefully next year we will get Columbia Classics #3. Keep the coming Sony.

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Nice group of films IMO. Each one of these movies represent what is best about the studio. I never even considered Stripes, but it ends up being kind of a inspired choice. Even though The Social Network is relatively new, I think it is a brilliant film is a already on the path to being a true classic. I cannot wait to get this set, and hopefully next year we will get Columbia Classics #3. Keep the coming Sony.
Love All of these choices except Stripes? and I already have a good Blu-ray of Social Network. Have already placed my order.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am so happy Grover is still with Sony. He is a master of his craft and we have all benefited from his immaculate work.
Grover Crisp is a legend and we can be very happy to still have him at Sony. Looking forward to many more classics from him and his team!

Last edited:

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Question: Did the roadshow version of "Oliver!" have an overture? It runs with one on TCM but I don't remember it being included on home video. Was the overture on the Twilight Time disc? Thanks
Yes - the three minute overture is on the Twilight Time disc, with the screen blank. No fake title card from a nitwit authoring the disc, thinking that he'd better put one there, in case they get a flood of complaints from irate punters, complaining about "lack of picture". The Entr'acte and Exit Music are also presented properly on the Twilight Time disc. I got rid of my Sony region B disc, but I seem to vaguely remember title cards inserted for the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit music on that one. Hope Sony does it properly in their upcoming release.

Having dug out my Twilight Time disc to check this vital snippet of information, I sat watching again until Oliver pops his head out from underneath the cabbages, when hiding in the basket - the very first thing I can remember from seeing the film when I was five. We grew cabbages on our farm, so obviously that gave me ideas!

Now I'm really looking forward to the 4K UHD, after seeing the rather poor picture quality on the Twilight Time disc and hearing the thin and compressed soundtrack - there is barely anything going on the rear speakers. There is certainly a potential for a substantial improvement.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It is interesting that Carol Reed went back to 35mm Panavision for Oliver! after having shot The Agony and the Ecstacy in 65mm Todd-AO. David Lean, director of the 1948 B&W Academy Ratio Oliver Twist with Anthony Newley as the Artful Dodger and Alec Guinness as Fagin, did the same thing: he shot Lawrence of Arabia in 65mm Super Panavision 70 and Doctor Zhivago in 35mm Panavision.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Not to go too far off-topic, but I just watched an episode of that last night. I'm still not sure that I actually saw what I thought I saw!
I loved the PUFNSTUF movie a lot as a kid. They didn't have big budgets but they had wit and weird imaginations that were not the bland Disney/Hanna-Barbara of the era. Kids shows as drugs, man.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting that Carol Reed went back to 35mm Panavision for Oliver! after having shot The Agony and the Ecstacy in 65mm Todd-AO. David Lean, director of the 1948 B&W Academy Ratio Oliver Twist with Anthony Newley as the Artful Dodger and Alec Guinness as Fagin, did the same thing: he shot Lawrence of Arabia in 65mm Super Panavision 70 and Doctor Zhivago in 35mm Panavision.
His last big movie The Agony and the Ecstasy was a commercial failure so I am sure that Carol Reed could not exactly demand to shoot in 70mm.

As for David Lean he was apparently tricked into shooting in 35mm by being assured that nobody would be able to tell real 70mm apart from the 70mm BlowUps that they would have for Zhivago. Today when seeing the visual splendor of both Lawrence of Arabia and Ryan's Daughter one has to wonder how much better Zhivago could have looked in 70mm and the same is true for A Passage to India.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A Passage To India had HBO's involvement in financing and they insisted on shooting standard 35mm to make it easier to convert it to the small square TVs of the 1980s.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A Passage To India had HBO's involvement in financing and they insisted on shooting standard 35mm to make it easier to convert it to the small square TVs of the 1980s.
Ah yes - nobody would have wanted to watch it in old and outdated 70mm anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKITA DALVI
Recent bookmarks