What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I'm not a fan of Facebook, but the movie "The Social Network" was well received by the general public and critics alike. It got a number of movie awards including several Oscar nominations and actually won three of them. I guess it depends on your definition of a classic as it was released in 2010.

I can take or leave Facebook and I realize there are those who enjoyed the movie. But still do not see it as a movie that fits well in a set of classic movies. This is more of a title that should get a separate release IMHO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I can take or leave Facebook and I realize there are those who enjoyed the movie. But still do not see it as a movie that fits well in a set of classic movies. This is more of a title that should get a separate release IMHO.
Well then don't buy it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to sell out just like the first volume.:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well then don't buy it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to sell out just like the first volume.:)

I am sure there will be plenty of people that buy it that may not even watch that particular movie. Only two movies I am interested in so no loss for me!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For me, Oliver! would be the crown jewel of this collection. I remember being surprised at the lukewarm response when Twilight Time first announced the Blu-ray 8 years ago. Most folks just don’t care for it or “get” it. I think it’s sheer perfection of a musical, and without its success there never would have been the musical Scrooge. Even Roger Ebert gave the movie 4 stars in 1968.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think "Oliver!" suffers from late 60's/early 70's roadshow habit of making everything gigantic with lots of people. There are so many orphans during "Food Glorious Food" , so many vendors during "Who Will Buy" and "Consider Yourself " etc. The original stage show was fairly modest. Bill Sikes and Nancy were cast too young in my opinion. Bill Sikes' song "Nobody Mentions My Name" was cut as was the reprise of "As Long As He Needs Me"
Question: Did the roadshow version of "Oliver!" have an overture? It runs with one on TCM but I don't remember it being included on home video. Was the overture on the Twilight Time disc? Thanks

Last edited:

Dick

Premium
Real Name
Rick
For me, Oliver! would be the crown jewel of this collection. Even Roger Ebert gave the movie 4 stars in 1968.

Many critics gave it top ratings. I remember how vehemently I avoided it because I wasn't big on musicals when I was a teenager (my, how that changed as I got older, as I slowly morphed into my parents!). But I finally got talked into going with friends to a drive-in because the co-feature looked cool, and I absolutely loved it. Other than one or two of the songs (most musicals have at least one I can't stand, such as "I am Sixteen" from THE SOUND OF MUSIC or "The Boy Next Door" from MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS), I found it to be completely engaging and emotionally rich, especially the performances of Ron Moody, Jack Wild and Shani Wallis. Funny, suspenseful, eye-catching and musically memorable, it led me to travel a bit to an indoor theater to see it again with none of the drive-in's distractions, and to purchase the soundtrack. It was most deserving of its Oscar wins. If you haven't seen it yet and have a decent big screen home theater, I envy you your first viewing, assuming (?) this 4K edition is an exponential improvement over the rather mediocre Blu-rays that have already surfaced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
For me, Oliver! would be the crown jewel of this collection. I remember being surprised at the lukewarm response when Twilight Time first announced the Blu-ray 8 years ago. Most folks just don’t care for it or “get” it. I think it’s sheer perfection of a musical, and without its success there never would have been the musical Scrooge. Even Roger Ebert gave the movie 4 stars in 1968.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the movie, but will watch it again on 4K disc.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
“The Social Network” is an important film and genuine classic that will only look better with age. It’s also a film by acclaimed director David Fincher and multiple award winning writer Aaron Sorkin. It’s also probably the most culturally relevant film of all the titles included in this particular set.

There is probably no corner of this earth that hasn’t been affected by Zuckerberg’s invention and a film about that topic is as worthy a subject matter for a film as a film about Oppenheimer’s invention would be. It may even be more worthy because what started as practically a prank may wind up destroying the world.

It also has more commercial potential and personal relevance among the public today than just about any of the other titles that have been cited in this thread as “why not this instead?”.
I would agree with all your points. And I've not even seen the film. Like others here, I have no interest in Zuckerberg or Facebook, so I never bothered to see it. And I do feel somewhat guilty being that it was written by Sorkin and directed by Fincher. But we all have our biases.

But it least it's a "Columbia Classic", unlike Jerry Maguire from the first set, which was a TriStar film. Yes, I know that TriStar is owned by Sony, just as Columbia is. It's still not a "Columbia Classic". :rolleyes:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
With the obvious limited horizon for physical media, one would hope they’d play this game differently. How many years are left, and how many sets? Each edition should be loaded, like the celebration they’re implying by the packaging of the releases. Instead it’s like a cynical marketing scheme that plays to no audience in particular.

My guess is that it’s unlikely we’ll get beyond edition 5 or 6, and no doubt the packaging will eventually cheapen (but not accompanied by reduction in price).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This seems to me to be a more consistent set than Volume One but that's subjective.

It's really surprising to see some of the hostile comments here, given this audience. UHD releases of catalog titles certainly aren't happening every day and each one of these films has a constituency. I didn't regret buying Volume One and I'm sure there are folks who won't regret buying this one (I won't). Given Volume One sold out, I'm guessing Sony isn't regretting it either.

And why isn't Anatomy of a Murder worthy of a UHD release? Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove in the first set looked great. I for one welcome more B&W UHD titles.

I have not seen much hostility there just do not seem to be that many who want these movies in UHD.

I have all of them (except Oliver!) on Blu-ray and I would say that several of them do not lend themselves very well to a UHD release but I am glad if the set sells out anyway. Maybe I would even get a set myself to make sure it does as I want a third one that hopefully will get me more excited than this one.

As for the two B&W titles in the first box I still would not say that they make particularly good use of the higher dynamic range and resolution of the UHD format. Not the fault of the movies, it is just the way it is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have not seen much hostility there just do not seem to be that many who want these movies in UHD.

I have all of them (except Oliver!) on Blu-ray and I would say that several of them do not lend themselves very well to a UHD release but I am glad if the set sells out anyway. Maybe I would even get a set myself to make sure it does as I want a third one that hopefully will get me more excited than this one.

As for the two B&W titles in the first box I still would not say that they make particularly good use of the higher dynamic range and resolution of the UHD format. Not the fault of the movies, it is just the way it is.

I agree. There has been no hostility here. Everyone is welcome to agree or disagree with what they deem to be a viable candidate for this release. I think everyone has put in a favorable or negative comment while being respectful to each other's opinons.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The strength of Volumes One & Two is that we now have a12-film gain in favor of the 4K/UHD format.

The handicap of Volumes One & Two is that it holds consumers hostage, for those who may only want 2, 3 or 4 of its titles at a pre-fixe price.

If Columbia Pictures Classics were to simultaneously offer a Stand-Alone on each and every title at ala carte prices, then this series would be a Grand-Slam offering, rather than a debate and scrutiny over which title is deserving or not deserving of receiving a 4K/UHD makeover.

The exclusivity of these boxed-sets is the sole flaw of Sony’s, otherwise, perfect celebration of the Columbia Pictures legacy.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
If Columbia Pictures Classics were to simultaneously offer a Stand-Alone on each and every title at ala carte prices, then this series would be a Grand-Slam offering, rather than a debate and scrutiny over which title is deserving or not deserving of receiving a 4K/UHD makeover.

The exclusivity of these boxed-sets is the sole flaw of Sony’s, otherwise, perfect celebration of the Columbia Pictures legacy.
The physical media sales for catalog titles isn't what it used to be back in the glory days of DVD. I'm not so sure that it's not more financially beneficial for Sony to do exactly what they're doing, especially, if they sell out Volume 2 like they did with Volume 1.

Now, as far as consumers are concern, yeah, this boxed-set exclusivity sucks for many of us that have a more limited taste for having certain movies on 4K disc.

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris

This thread started with nit-picking of the titles chosen and questioning the idea of releasing this kind of boxed set. Hostility was maybe not the right word.

I love this community and I think, as collectors, we all have vibrant opinions and always will. Great! But as someone who is acutely aware of the shrinking sales of physical media (as I'm sure others are too) the immediate inclination to criticize what will be a well-produced set of catalog UHD titles like this will likely be is a little weird to me. Sorry you don't agree! The contrarian-ness of some of the comments on this particular thread got to me.

And count me as someone eager for more B&W UHD titles to come out. The HTF reviews of both Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove praised the increased detail and visible grain in last year's UHD releases. Definitely agree. More, please!

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The physical media sales for catalog titles isn't what it used to be back in the glory days of DVD. I'm not so sure that it's not more financially beneficial for Sony to do exactly what they're doing, especially, if they sell out Volume 2 like they did with Volume 1.

Now, as far as consumers are concern, yeah, this boxed-set exclusivity sucks for many of us that have a more limited taste for having certain movies on 4K disc.
Very interesting, Robert, as this is a consideration I had not even contemplated; but since your overview is greater in experience than mine, I’ll just have to accept that reality and learn to roll with the times.

I am fortunate, as I know that all 6 titles will ultimately be enjoyed for their presentations in the 4K/UHD format; as was the case with the first 6 from Volume One. Nonetheless, my disappointments and support still goes out towards those home theater enthusiasts who are unable to have an ala carte accessibility of their favored titles. Clearly, I am no businessman; but my brand of idealism bespeaks a credo which says that entertainment should be made available to everyone; with no exceptions nor exclusions; and enjoyed by all.

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I finally saw OLIVER! recently and it left me fairly cold (even as a lover of Roadshow Musicals). Only Ron Moody and Jack Wild stood out and the last part is a slog with a very unsatisfying climax. I adore Oliver Reed but he's just one-scary note here. I find Lester to be not particularly engaging. Wild is the real star and pity he didn't get bigger. He was always game on PUFNSTUF.

STRIPES is my favorite 80s Bill Murray and I just like the vibe plus Warren Oates. The opening of the film with Ramis and Murray as down and out New Yorkers should have been its own movie. But 4k? Ok.

These sets are just too random. At least do themes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks