What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I ordered mine from Target using my RedCard and a 15% off coupon for $96.71 which was low enough for me once it got under $100. I ordered on May 3rd of last year and received it June 17th, the day after it's release date.
By the way, if Target discounts this second volume from $164.99 to $112.99 like they did with the first volume then I'm going to jump on that pricing again, even if they don't have a 15% coupon like they did with the first volume. It's one of the reasons why I accumulate Target gift cards from other purchases so I can use them for stuff like this item.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I concur. I can't stand the sight of Zuckerberg in real life and I think his greed and policies are worthy of significant pushback, but the movie is quite good. Nonetheless, its inclusion in this box is like playing that game, "Which of these is not like the others." Oscar-winner or not, it is no classic.
Like I said, it depends on your definition of "classic". To me, a "classic" film doesn't have to be decades old. The day I walked out of the theater back in 1998, I knew that "Saving Private Ryan" was going to be a "classic" movie according to my personal definition. The same when I walked out of the theaters after seeing the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

By the way, I hate Zuckerberg and the entire social media apparatus.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I think as a film Social is as good as Jerry Maguire & A League of Their Own were in box # 1- and I mean that as a compliment.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Two/One of the actors (Whom I shan't Call Him By His Name) seems to have had some bad press lately ... :cool:!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From Ebay for the 1st set listings it seems people broke up the set and sold the films they didn't want, sold the digital codes they didn't use and even sold the outer box with and without the book that came with the set. All of which is to say there are ways just to get the films you want without waiting for individual releases. Not something that I have done but if you are willing to do it, its' a choice. Not sure what the demand for the empty box was but it was available. As there has already been interest expressed on this thread for the blu ray of the shorts included in the new box set, I expect we will be seeing it offered on Ebay once the new set is released.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, it depends on your definition of "classic". To me, a "classic" film doesn't have to be decades old. The day I walked out of the theater back in 1998, I knew that "Saving Private Ryan" was going to be a "classic" movie according to my personal definition. The same when I walked out of the theaters after seeing the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Yeah, it doesn't have the age yet but I stone cold guarantee that The Social Network will be considered a classic by nearly every movie fan in 20 or 30 years. Everyone has their own opinion but I don't think that Oliver, Sense And Sensibility or Stripes are anywhere near as good as The Social Network.

Also, f-Mark Zuckerberg. :)

KeithDA

Second Unit
Real Name
Keith
I ordered mine from Target using my RedCard and a 15% off coupon for $96.71 which was low enough for me once it got under $100. I ordered on May 3rd of last year and received it June 17th, the day after it's release date.
It sold out quite quickly here with no further supplies. The lowest it got to was £119 - about $168. eBay now has 'new' imports from USA at (even more) ridiculous prices…

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Would have been nice if Sony had included one film from the 30's -early 40's.
It Happened One Night
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
Only Angels Have Wings
The Awful Truth
The More The Merrier
His Girl Friday
The Talk of The Town
Holiday

Most of my picks feature Cary Grant and/or Jean Arthur. Great films and my idea of Columbia Classics

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris
This seems to me to be a more consistent set than Volume One but that's subjective.

It's really surprising to see some of the hostile comments here, given this audience. UHD releases of catalog titles certainly aren't happening every day and each one of these films has a constituency. I didn't regret buying Volume One and I'm sure there are folks who won't regret buying this one (I won't). Given Volume One sold out, I'm guessing Sony isn't regretting it either.

And why isn't Anatomy of a Murder worthy of a UHD release? Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove in the first set looked great. I for one welcome more B&W UHD titles.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I'm pleasantly surprised to see my 20th anniversary TAXI DRIVER teaser included. Sony basically acts as though my trailers never existed, often not even including them with the films themselves (those that did I had to scream like a banshee to get added).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
These Columbia boxsets reminds me of how MGM original released the DVDs of the Bond films. Rather than releasing box sets by actor who played Bond they released sets with multiple Bonds. If you wanted the Sean Connery films you had to buy several of the sets which may have included films you weren't interested in. Eventually there were individual film DVDs, complete sets and sets by actor but those came later.

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Instead of using the word “Classics”; which may have created a minor marketing trap; perhaps the name of the series should had been “Columbia Pictures: Through the Generations in 4K/UHD”.

ALL of these titles within both volumes have their merits, importance and place. These sets seems to be designed with an eye towards an overall arch, or an evolving mosaic; for a wide audience of varied tastes and ages.

The real detractor, here, is not over any one single and specific title; but, rather, the debate over the definitions of what a “Classic” may or may not entail.

Ultimately, IMHO, these sets are classy, cool and a great deal of fun; which, consequently, also aptly describes Ms. Julie Kirgo, who is returning with her second round of concise and wonderfully informative essays.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
“The Social Network” is an important film and genuine classic that will only look better with age. It’s also a film by acclaimed director David Fincher and multiple award winning writer Aaron Sorkin. It’s also probably the most culturally relevant film of all the titles included in this particular set.

There is probably no corner of this earth that hasn’t been affected by Zuckerberg’s invention and a film about that topic is as worthy a subject matter for a film as a film about Oppenheimer’s invention would be. It may even be more worthy because what started as practically a prank may wind up destroying the world.

It also has more commercial potential and personal relevance among the public today than just about any of the other titles that have been cited in this thread as “why not this instead?”.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Within these regions, the knee-jerk reaction of “why not this instead?” is part and parcel to any and all announcements, for as far back as I can remember.

It never seems to fail.

No doubts, we are indeed an insatiable, impassioned and fun lovin’ bunch.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I have not seen The Social Network, but I agree completely with your premise.

Reactions: PMF

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Hunh. I passed on the first box because it had two films that didn't interest me (Gandhi, A League of Their Own) and one (Jerry Maguire) that I have no interest in ever seeing again. This one has five films that I love and one (Oliver!) that I've never seen but don't object to picking up. I realise that I'm in the minority here, but I think this is a better boxed set than the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeklystreaming
Recent bookmarks