What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DATE CHANGE: COLUMBIA CLASSICS VOLUME 2 will be releasing on 4K Ultra HD on September 28

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
With all of the replication issues studios are currently facing, expect more release date changes or low inventory on street date through the end of the year for many titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With all of the replication issues studios are currently facing, expect more release date changes or low inventory on street date through the end of the year for many titles.
Yup! Also, I'm expecting shipping delays through carriers too starting in November. I just hope it isn't as bad as last Christmas season.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, it looks like Amazon UK aren't postponing their original shipping date so far. I'll cancel my US order and try my luck with the one closer to home.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it looks like Amazon UK aren't postponing their original shipping date so far. I'll cancel my US order and try my luck with the one closer to home.
Listed as "In Stock" om Amazon.uk

Well, I just approved my new delivery date order from Target because I got it for $88.61 out of pocket after some Target Circle and RedCard discounts. Until then I've got plenty of discs to hold me over that I still haven't watched yet.:rolleyes:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Perhaps the digital versions may get released on schedule. Of the 4 new-to-4K titles, this one is showing a release for tomorrow on Vudu.

5EF7A4C4-F4AA-48A1-89E3-E808820F543E.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps the digital versions may get released on schedule. Of the 4 new-to-4K titles, this one is showing a release for tomorrow on Vudu.

View attachment 112311
That has started with some, if not all of the titles.

Edit: Not all six titles have upgraded to 4K yet. Anatomy of a Murder and Social Network have upgraded. Sense and Sensibility is still showing HD while Taxi Driver still doesn’t have any HDR.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That has started with some, if not all of the titles.

Edit: Not all six titles have upgraded to 4K yet. Anatomy of a Murder and Social Network have upgraded. Sense and Sensibility is still showing HD while Taxi Driver still doesn’t have any HDR.
Hmmm. For Anatomy of a Murder Vudu actually had it available for sale yesterday, but now it has been pulled back and shows "UHD Sep 28" It also shows that Vudu will have Atmos, but not iTunes. I would suggest anybody like me who will be getting these digitally, wait until they actually upgrade before buying because you're going to want them in 4K through Movies Anywhere since, like the first Columbia Classics Collection, iTunes probably won't have Atmos on any of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmm. For Anatomy of a Murder Vudu actually had it available for sale yesterday, but now it has been pulled back and shows "UHD Sep 28" It also shows that Vudu will have Atmos, but not iTunes. I would suggest anybody like me who will be getting these digitally, wait until they actually upgrade before buying because you're going to want them in 4K through Movies Anywhere since, like the first Columbia Classics Collection, iTunes probably won't have Atmos on any of them.
Hell, I'm still waiting on iTunes to add Dolby Atmos to LOA like Vudu has done.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hell, I'm still waiting on iTunes to add Dolby Atmos to LOA like Vudu has done.
I can top that, Gandhi, also from that first Columbia Classics collection has no streaming version with both HDR and Atmos! Vudu has Atmos but no HDR, iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Amazon have HDR but no Atmos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can top that, Gandhi, also from that first Columbia Classics collection has no streaming version with both HDR and Atmos! Vudu has Atmos but no HDR, iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Amazon have HDR but no Atmos.
Again, the industry is screwing up another home video format by inconsistency and shoddy releases. Which is why I'm starting to purchase more physical discs than digitals. Luckily, I did so with the examples being noted here.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I received the UK set yesterday. I spot checked "Oliver!" last night and was very impressed---I don't think it has ever looked or sounded better on home video. One minor oddity: the Muzak used for the main menus on the 4K and Blu-Ray "Oliver!" discs. Assuming that Sony was precluded from using an excerpt from the Lionel Bart score, it's hard to believe that Sony couldn't have found something more thematically appropriate.

The book that accompanies the set includes articles on the restoration efforts for each title (or in the case of "The Social Network," remastering efforts). The Blu-Ray discs in the UK set are region free. The UK set does not include digital codes (which if included presumably wouldn't have worked in the US anyway).

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received the UK set yesterday. I spot checked "Oliver!" last night and was very impressed---I don't think it has ever looked or sounded better on home video. One minor oddity: the Muzak used for the main menus on the 4K and Blu-Ray "Oliver!" discs. Assuming that Sony was precluded from using an excerpt from the Lionel Bart score, it's hard to believe that Sony couldn't have found something more thematically appropriate.

The book that accompanies the set includes articles on the restoration efforts for each title (or in the case of "The Social Network," remastering efforts). The Blu-Ray discs in the UK set are region free. The UK set does not include digital codes (which if included presumably wouldn't have worked in the US anyway).
My box is sitting at home, waiting for me to dive in, when I return from work in two weeks. Can you confirm that the soundtrack for Oliver! has a discrete multichannel soundtrack? The sound on the previous Sony master was really lacking in fidelity and couldn't really claim to be in 5.1 channels.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Confirming the discrete multichannel soundtrack. The 4K disc offers Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 (the Blu-Ray disc uses 5.1 DTS HD-MA). I don't have Atmos capability but was very pleased with the 4K disc audio playback on my 7.1 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks